ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - for Child

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

desaisonalr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Naturalisation - for Child

Post by desaisonalr » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:09 pm

I am a British citizen and I my wife is on ILR. My daughter was born in India and now i am planning to apply for her citizenship. Her ILR is due to expire in Feb-19.

I would like to know which application form to be used? I read few topics and came to know that I have to apply using MN1 but according to MN1 guidance - "section 3(2) birth abroad to parents who are British by descent and have lived in the UK or a British overseas territory" I am not sure about this wording "British by descent". I haven't inherited my citizenship through my parents. I got it via Tier1 and then ILR. Can someone please help me in choosing the correct form.

Also, does a child citizenship application needs to be accompanied along with an adult application? or can i her application alone?

Appreciate a quick response.

desaisonalr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation - for Child

Post by desaisonalr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:24 pm

Can someone please help me answering my query?

desaisonalr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation - for Child born abroad

Post by desaisonalr » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 pm

I am a British citizen and I my wife is on ILR. My daughter was born in India and now i am planning to apply for her citizenship. Her ILR is due to expire in Feb-19.

I would like to know which application form to be used? I read few topics and came to know that I have to apply using MN1 but according to MN1 guidance - "section 3(2) birth abroad to parents who are British by descent and have lived in the UK or a British overseas territory" I am not sure about this wording "British by descent". I haven't inherited my citizenship through my parents. I got it via Tier1 and then ILR. Can someone please help me in choosing the correct form.

Also, does a child citizenship application needs to be accompanied along with an adult application? or can i her application alone?

Appreciate a quick response.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:42 pm

If you were naturalised, then you are British otherwise than by descent.

MN1 is the correct form for your child. Section 3(1) is the correct section under the British Nationality Act.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:15 am

Was daughter born before or after you naturalised.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 am

Thanks Obie!

Good question that I forgot to ask!
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:57 am

Actually, there are two posters asking questions in this topic. That’s a bit confusing.

desaisonalr
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Naturalisation - for Child born abroad

Post by desaisonalr » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:50 pm

Apologies for adding the confusion as i struggled to find how to add new topic. Hence i thought this particular topic is close to my query hence added to it.

Thanks Vinny for answering my question that MN1 is the correct form and section3(1) is still applicable for me.
My daughter was born when i was on tier1 General visa in 2010. Later i got ILR in 2014 for me, my wife and for my daughter. I did my naturalisation in 2016. Now since my daughters ILR is expiring in Feb-19 hence i am planning to do her naturalisation.

Regards,
Sonal

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:47 pm

Your questions have been spun off into a separate thread. Please post any further questions here.

Vinny has already given the answer to your question.
vinny wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:42 pm
MN1 is the correct form for your child. Section 3(1) is the correct section under the British Nationality Act.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.