ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A couple of questions about the 2010 Greencard Lottery

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Spark
- thin ice -

A couple of questions about the 2010 Greencard Lottery

Post by Spark » Sun May 18, 2008 7:51 pm

My girlfriend and I are intending to apply for the Diversity Lottery this year and just have a couple of questions about it, and I wondered if anybody on this forum could help because I can't seem to find the answers online.

I am British by birth and therefore ineligible, my girlfriend is Japanese and is therefore eligible, we are currently intending to get married next year anyway as she we will be completing her degree here in the UK. We've read up on it but are just wondering if:

1. It would be OK for us to apply as a married couple for the lottery this year, assuming we were successful (which is a slim chance anyway) then we would be married by the time it came around to the real paperwork and interview stage.
2. If we would need to have our interview at the US Embassy in Tokyo since we would both be applying as chargeable to Japan, or if they would allow us to have the interview in our current country of Residence at the London Embassy.

If anybody could answer these questions for us then I'd be really grateful.

Thanks in Advance,

Spark :)
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon May 19, 2008 12:23 pm

The basis for your inclusion on the application is the fact that you are legally married (and can properly document it) at the time the application is submitted for consideration.

INTENTION to get married is not a basis for your inclusion as the spouse.

If you are both living in London as a married couple with full legal, established residency, you can take the interview in London. It could get slightly complicated, but it is a common enough occurrence that the situation can be accommodated.

Be prepared to have any & all documents that are requested of you.

Keep in mind that, should you get so far along, you will also need to show means of support for yourselves upon arrival. A job offer or intention to establish a business is generally not enough. Immigration wants to know how you will pay your own way until your income starts to roll in.

Thus, you will need a sponsor .. or, as it is possible, multiple sponsors .. to prove you have a place to live, money to eat, insurance coverage.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

Atasas

Post by Atasas » Mon May 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Good luck Spark!

Anybody has got the link for the aplication form (free) please?

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Mon May 19, 2008 11:46 pm

Thanks guys, to be honest I thought that would be the case, we're just looking at available options at the moment really since her degree finishes next year and we are looking at getting married next year and starting a life together really, and it seems really silly to go through the issues and expense related to gaining residency for her in the UK when we intend to leave the country anyway.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu May 22, 2008 2:41 pm

Atasas wrote:Anybody has got the link for the aplication form (free) please?
How Do I Participate in the Diversity Visa Lottery Program? wrote:How Do I Apply?

Before each year's lottery drawing, the Department of State will publish explicit instructions on how to apply in press releases and the Federal Register. Please follow all directions exactly. Millions of applicants are rejected each year for failure to follow the directions. Please watch the State Department Website for more information on the Diversity Visa Lottery Program. Instructions are usually posted in August, and the registration period is usually held in October each year.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Atasas

Post by Atasas » Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

vinny wrote:
Atasas wrote:Anybody has got the link for the aplication form (free) please?
How Do I Participate in the Diversity Visa Lottery Program? wrote:How Do I Apply?

Before each year's lottery drawing, the Department of State will publish explicit instructions on how to apply in press releases and the Federal Register. Please follow all directions exactly. Millions of applicants are rejected each year for failure to follow the directions. Please watch the State Department Website for more information on the Diversity Visa Lottery Program. Instructions are usually posted in August, and the registration period is usually held in October each year.
answer I was after:
http://www.dvlottery.state.gov/application.aspx
http://online.onetcenter.org/