ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration as British Citizen after ILR on Refugee status

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

haidhu80
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Registration as British Citizen after ILR on Refugee status

Post by haidhu80 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Hi everyone,

I tried to find some information regarding this matter. My friend is under 18. He got his ILR on refugee status because of his mother refugee application. His mother also has ILR but she has problem in passing Life in the UK therefore she cannot apply for naturalization. They got their ILR in 2015. Can my friend register as British Citizen? If yes, what form needs to be used? Btw, he is born outside the UK.

Thanking everyone in advance.

Haider

secret.simon

Re: Registration as British Citizen after ILR on Refugee status

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:48 pm

What is the UK Immigration status of the other parent?

If the mother can't naturalise and the other parent is not British, it is unlikely that the child will be registered as a British citizen.

If he is close to 18, he may want to naturalise after his 18th birthday, though of course he will need to meet all the requirements as an adult (absences, English and LITUK, good character, etc).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

haidhu80
Newly Registered
Pakistan

Post by haidhu80 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:07 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:48 pm
What is the UK Immigration status of the other parent?

If the mother can't naturalise and the other parent is not British, it is unlikely that the child will be registered as a British citizen.

If he is close to 18, he may want to naturalise after his 18th birthday, though of course he will need to meet all the requirements as an adult (absences, English and LITUK, good character, etc).
Thank you very much for taking out your time to reply.

The other parent is also dependent on his mother status and he only has leave to remain. May be that 10 years route. So he is not British Citizen. My friend is 15. So has he need to wait another 3 years to apply for naturalization??

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:09 pm

For registration of children born aboard, it is expected that at least one parent is or is applying to be a British citizen AND both the child and the other parent have ILR.

In this case, as it is unlikely that these conditions will be met before your friend turns 15, it is likely that he will have to wait until his 18th birthday to naturalise in his own right.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.