ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canada to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mccann1984
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Understanding UK Income Requirements

Post by mccann1984 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Hey All,

trying to understand how the UK Income Requirements work. I am a British citizen who has been living in Canada for the past 7 years. I have a Canadian wife and 3 Canadian sons. We plan on moving back to Northern Ireland. As I understand it I need to meet the £18,600 income for having a wife, £3800 for my first son and £4800 total for my two other sons - total: £27,200.

Here are my questions:

1) How does it work to prove my income if I haven't been working in the UK? Do I need to have a job offer that meets the income requirement in order to apply? Or do I need to go and work in the UK for a year before my wife can apply to come over?

2) How often do I have to prove this income requirement? I read somewhere that it is every time my wife needs to re-apply for leave to remain and once more when she applies for indefinite leave to remain after 5 years. How long does the initial visa last for?

3) My sons are british citizens by descent - if I apply for their first British Passports before we move to the UK will that remove the need for the £8600 income requirement for my sons?

Thanks

Andy

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Understanding UK Income Requirements

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:44 pm

As you have already been advised in your other topic, your children can apply for British passports and you therefore have to prove only £18,600pa income for your wife.

You can use your income in Canada if it meets the requirement AND if you have a confirmed job offer to start within 3 months of arriving.

Or you can use the savings route if you have £62,500 held for at least 6 months with a paper trail.

You need to prove income for the initial visa, the extension after 2.5 years and again for Indefinite Leave to Remain at the 5 year mark. It is 2.5 year visas x 2.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mccann1984
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mccann1984 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks for the info - that's great.

Can you point me in the direction of the requirements needed to use my Canadian income?

Also, is there a formula to work out how much savings you need to have to combine with your annual income if your annual income is less than the £18600?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:40 am

Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mccann1984
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Canada to UK

Post by mccann1984 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:22 pm

Hi,
I am a British citizen by birth. I have been living in Canada for 10 years and have a Canadian wife and 3 sons. My sons all have their British passports. We would like to move back to the UK but I have some questions about the process for my wife:

1) Do I need to have a job offer in my hands to show that I will be earning the 18,600 pounds minimum income to bring my wife in? Or are we able to just land in the UK and have a few months to source a job?

2) Do we need to start the application process while we are still in Canada or can we just arrive in the UK and begin it there while she would be on a visitor visa?

Any other thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:55 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:44 pm
As you have already been advised in your other topic, your children can apply for British passports and you therefore have to prove only £18,600pa income for your wife.

You can use your income in Canada if it meets the requirement AND if you have a confirmed job offer to start within 3 months of arriving.

Or you can use the savings route if you have £62,500 held for at least 6 months with a paper trail.

You need to prove income for the initial visa, the extension after 2.5 years and again for Indefinite Leave to Remain at the 5 year mark. It is 2.5 year visas x 2.
1. The advice given previously remains the same. You need to prove you meet the income requirements for your spouse to get a visa.

2. You need to apply for the visa in Canada and have the initial 30 day visa vignette BEFORE your spouse can travel to the UK. Your spouse CANNOT switch to a spouse visa while in the UK as a visitor.
Char (CR001 not Casa)