ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA PR cover letter

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Sands2712
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

EEA PR cover letter

Post by Sands2712 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi all

I’m ready to sent my PR application soon (5 year route, just for myself A8 National), I’ve gathered all the documents required but my problem is with the cover letter. I’m not really sure what it should look like, I have a brief idea what to put in but never done that before so please I need help.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: EEA PR cover letter

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:54 pm

A cover letter is not a requirement - if you think you need to explain certain things then just be concise and stay with the facts,unless there is space on the form for any other comments.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:36 pm

There is an opinion (not sure how true it is) that it is better not to do cover letter, if there is nothing non-trivial in your application which you feel you would need to explain.
This opinion is based on the assumption that upon getting your application a low level officer does “sorting”, where any straightforward application is dealt wirh quickly, while anything which hints on being more complicated case is put aside fir a senior officer to take a look - and then takes much longer to process. And any unnesessary cover letter could trigger putting your file aside in that pile of complicated cases.
I cannot say anything about how much truth there is in the above..

Sands2712
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sands2712 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:36 pm

Thanks for your responses so far, I’ve been here since 2004 (eu8 National) and got work card for my first job, after over a a year I’ve relocated to my partner and was looking for work for about 6 months, in the meantime I got pregnant, got back to work when I was expecting my child and claiming maternity allowance after that, married to British National before birth and then I decided to be full time mother as it wasn’t feasible for me to work, we were claiming child tax benefit for my period off work. I went back to work after 4-5 years and work ever since for the same employer. Does it mean my situation is complex? Do I need to attach that cover letter? I’m applying online and there’s a 5k character space to use

Sands2712
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sands2712 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:15 pm

Sands2712 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:36 pm
Thanks for your responses so far, I’ve been here since 2004 (eu8 National) and got work card for my first job, after over a a year I’ve relocated to my partner and was looking for work for about 6 months, in the meantime I got pregnant, got back to work when I was expecting my child and claiming maternity allowance after that, married to British National before birth and then I decided to be full time mother as it wasn’t feasible for me to work, we were claiming child tax benefit for my period off work. I went back to work after 4-5 years and work ever since for the same employer. Does it mean my situation is complex? Do I need to attach that cover letter? I’m applying online and there’s a 5k character space to use
To make it easier with the time line: been working for about 7-8 years. On top of that been separated from my husband for about 5 years but still living together, separate everything, bedrooms etc so I guess I need to put separated in the application as I’m in relationship with non eea, all open with my current ex spouse, as our relationship died so long ago and it’s only finances and our child

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi there,

I included a covering letter in my application for a permanent residence card, and I got the EEA (PR) card in a very quick 17 calendar days!

My application was relatively straightforward - I applied for EEA (PR) as a worker.

I provided quite a lot of information and clarifications on the covering letter, which was 3 pages long - to explain some of the answers given in the online form (eg: the fact that I didn't provide information about my jobs after 2015 as these are outside my qualifying period of 2010-2015) and to clearly indicate when my qualifying period was (given I'd supplied P60s as proof of residency after my QP ended).

My sister got her PR last month, and I used her covering letter with appropriate changes. There's no template - just use common sense, and state things clearly. I sort of used headings and bold type to highlight things like the qualifying period, etc. I summarised the application in the covering letter, included a timeline in table form showing when/where I was born, when I arrived in the UK, what I've been doing/etc.

I think in your case, as it's quite complicated, you should include a covering letter.

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Hey Sands2712

Just wanted to qualify my previous reply, where I said "I think in your case, as it's quite complicated, you should include a covering letter".

Which are the 5 years you are choosing as your qualifying period? If they are 5 years in which you were working after coming back from maternity leave, I think your case is really straightforward. If you are choosing 5 years in which you were in maternity leave/etc., it's a bit more complicated.

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Here is an edited version of my covering letter - hope it helps!

To the attention of:
Home Office
UK Visas & Immigration Department
Dept. No. 169
Capital Building
New Hall Place
Liverpool L3 9PP

[My name and address
Mobile phone
E-mail]

[Date]

Application for Permanent Residency: Covering letter supporting the EEA (PR) application

Dear Sir/Madam,

In support of my enclosed EEA (PR) application, please find the relevant documentation as follows:

1. Signed EEA (PR) application form;
2. Document Checklist, with proof of payment of £65 fee;
3. Valid National Identity Card;
4. Original P60 tax certificates (6no.) – as proof of continuous employment and proof of UK residency during my Qualifying Period (i.e. from February 2010 to February 2015);
5. Original P60 tax certificates (2no.), pay slips (3no.) and utility bills (4no.) – as proof of UK residency since the end of my Qualifying period (February 2015);
6. Passport photos (2no.).

Key information:

Evidence:
1) Please note that I am applying to exercise my treaty rights to request Permanent Residency in the UK on the basis of being an EEA national qualified person: a worker.
Enclosed P60 tax certificates (6no.), which cover the continuous 5-year Qualifying Period of 2010 to 2015 (2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015).

2) Please note that I am an [EU country] national. Valid National Identity Card attached.
3) Please note that my Qualifying Period is:
February 2010 to
February 2015.
Enclosed P60 tax certificates (6no.), as per item 1) above.
I have indicated February 2010 as the beginning of my 5-year Qualifying Period, as that was my first day of full-time employment at [Company name].
4) Please note that I have continued to live in the UK since the end of my Qualifying Period (February 2015).
Enclosed as evidence of continued UK residence since the end of my Qualifying Period in February 2015:
o 2no. P60 tax certificates (2015-2016, 2016-2017);
o 3no. Payslips (July 2017, October 2017, February 2018);
o 4no. Utility bills (Thames Water April 2017-March 2018, N Power July-October 2017, Thames Water April 2018-March 2019, N Power April-July 2018).

Brief personal history:

I am [EU country] national and I was born in [Non-EU country] on [DOB]. [EU country] to attend university as I won a bursary there. Once I finished my university studies, I worked in XX for a few years, then moved back to the UK for good on 11 January 2010.

To better illustrate the above, please find below a quick time chart which may clarify key dates:

[Insert table]

Further to the above, please find below brief paragraphs to further develop and clarify some answers given in my EEA (PR) application.

Clarifications on the EEA(PR) form

Personal Information: Other nationality or citizenship (non-EU country)
I was born in [non-EU country] in [date], and in [date] I moved to [EU country] with my family. We then moved back to [non-EU country] between 1982-1985, and in 1985 we left [non-EU country] for good. My last [non-EU country] passport expired in [date] – however, I understand from [non-EU country] authorities that [non-EU country] citizenship is not lost unless one has criminal convictions. Given I have no criminal convictions, it would appear I still hold [non-EU country] citizenship.

Therefore I have answered “Yes” to the question “Do you still hold this nationality or citizenship” relative to the [non-EU country] citizenship.

Residence in the UK: First date of entry in the UK
The first time I entered the UK with my family was in 1991. I attended secondary school, and then left the UK in 1999 to go to [EU country] to attend university.

In January 2010, I returned to settle down in the UK. As I had been absent from the UK for approx. 10 years (i.e. from 1999 to 2010), the period 1991-1999 cannot be considered valid as my Qualifying Period.

Therefore, in the form I have answered “January 2010” as the date I first entered the UK, which is the date when I came back to the UK for good and is also the date relevant to my Qualifying Period. Since January 2010, I have continued to live in the UK and have only been absent for short holidays (shorter than 6 months).

Activity in the UK: Work
In relation to my period of employment at [Company] during my Qualifying Period – please note this is the same company. Their business name was initially [Company], and subsequently in 2011 they changed their business name to [Company].

In relation to details of my other UK employers – please note that I haven't included details of my employers after leaving my job at [Company] in May 2016, since these are after my 5-year Qualifying Period of 2010-2015 and so are not relevant to my EEA (PR) application.

Study or vocational training: Vocational training since entering the UK
During part of my Qualifying Period, I was enrolled at [University] in a postgraduate diploma, to prepare the examination to become a qualified [profession] in the UK. This was an evening course, and during that period I continued to be a full-time worker.

However, given I am applying for permanent residency on the basis of being an EEA national qualified person (worker) during my 5-year Qualifying Period, I have therefore answered “No” to the question if I have been a student or done vocational training since entering the UK.

This is also the reason why I answered “No” to the question if I was a student or self-sufficient person.

Convictions and other penalties: Fines for driving offences
I have included details of the following 5no. driving offences relative to 2012, 2013 and 2014.. Please note that I learned to drive in the UK and acquired my driving licence in 2012, and I was driving weekly all over the UK between 2012 and 2016 due to my work. All fines were paid promptly.

Additional information: Other periods
As mentioned earlier, I first came to live in the UK as a child in 1991 and stayed here until 1999, when I went back to [EU country] to study my university degree and also worked there for a few years following conclusion of my university studies. I then came back to the UK for good in 2010.

As the 1991-1999 period is outside my Qualifying Period of 2010-2015, I answered “No” to the question in this section.

Documents: Other documents
Aside from the 6no. P60 tax certificates relative to my Qualifying Period, I have enclosed 2no. further P60 tax certificates, 3no. Payslips and 4no. Utility bills as proof that I have continued to live in the UK since the end of my Qualifying Period (i.e. since February 2015).

I hope you’ll find my application acceptable, however should you notice any errors, omissions or should you require further documentation, please kindly contact me at the address and/or number indicated in the heading to this letter. Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

[Name and signature]

Sands2712
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Sands2712 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:37 pm

NikiGio wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:25 pm
Here is an edited version of my covering letter - hope it helps!

To the attention of:
Home Office
UK Visas & Immigration Department
Dept. No. 169
Capital Building
New Hall Place
Liverpool L3 9PP

[My name and address
Mobile phone
E-mail]

[Date]

Application for Permanent Residency: Covering letter supporting the EEA (PR) application

Dear Sir/Madam,

In support of my enclosed EEA (PR) application, please find the relevant documentation as follows:

1. Signed EEA (PR) application form;
2. Document Checklist, with proof of payment of £65 fee;
3. Valid National Identity Card;
4. Original P60 tax certificates (6no.) – as proof of continuous employment and proof of UK residency during my Qualifying Period (i.e. from February 2010 to February 2015);
5. Original P60 tax certificates (2no.), pay slips (3no.) and utility bills (4no.) – as proof of UK residency since the end of my Qualifying period (February 2015);
6. Passport photos (2no.).

Key information:

Evidence:
1) Please note that I am applying to exercise my treaty rights to request Permanent Residency in the UK on the basis of being an EEA national qualified person: a worker.
Enclosed P60 tax certificates (6no.), which cover the continuous 5-year Qualifying Period of 2010 to 2015 (2009-2010, 2010-2011, 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, 2014-2015).

2) Please note that I am an [EU country] national. Valid National Identity Card attached.
3) Please note that my Qualifying Period is:
February 2010 to
February 2015.
Enclosed P60 tax certificates (6no.), as per item 1) above.
I have indicated February 2010 as the beginning of my 5-year Qualifying Period, as that was my first day of full-time employment at [Company name].
4) Please note that I have continued to live in the UK since the end of my Qualifying Period (February 2015).
Enclosed as evidence of continued UK residence since the end of my Qualifying Period in February 2015:
o 2no. P60 tax certificates (2015-2016, 2016-2017);
o 3no. Payslips (July 2017, October 2017, February 2018);
o 4no. Utility bills (Thames Water April 2017-March 2018, N Power July-October 2017, Thames Water April 2018-March 2019, N Power April-July 2018).

Brief personal history:

I am [EU country] national and I was born in [Non-EU country] on [DOB]. [EU country] to attend university as I won a bursary there. Once I finished my university studies, I worked in XX for a few years, then moved back to the UK for good on 11 January 2010.

To better illustrate the above, please find below a quick time chart which may clarify key dates:

[Insert table]

Further to the above, please find below brief paragraphs to further develop and clarify some answers given in my EEA (PR) application.

Clarifications on the EEA(PR) form

Personal Information: Other nationality or citizenship (non-EU country)
I was born in [non-EU country] in [date], and in [date] I moved to [EU country] with my family. We then moved back to [non-EU country] between 1982-1985, and in 1985 we left [non-EU country] for good. My last [non-EU country] passport expired in [date] – however, I understand from [non-EU country] authorities that [non-EU country] citizenship is not lost unless one has criminal convictions. Given I have no criminal convictions, it would appear I still hold [non-EU country] citizenship.

Therefore I have answered “Yes” to the question “Do you still hold this nationality or citizenship” relative to the [non-EU country] citizenship.

Residence in the UK: First date of entry in the UK
The first time I entered the UK with my family was in 1991. I attended secondary school, and then left the UK in 1999 to go to [EU country] to attend university.

In January 2010, I returned to settle down in the UK. As I had been absent from the UK for approx. 10 years (i.e. from 1999 to 2010), the period 1991-1999 cannot be considered valid as my Qualifying Period.

Therefore, in the form I have answered “January 2010” as the date I first entered the UK, which is the date when I came back to the UK for good and is also the date relevant to my Qualifying Period. Since January 2010, I have continued to live in the UK and have only been absent for short holidays (shorter than 6 months).

Activity in the UK: Work
In relation to my period of employment at [Company] during my Qualifying Period – please note this is the same company. Their business name was initially [Company], and subsequently in 2011 they changed their business name to [Company].

In relation to details of my other UK employers – please note that I haven't included details of my employers after leaving my job at [Company] in May 2016, since these are after my 5-year Qualifying Period of 2010-2015 and so are not relevant to my EEA (PR) application.

Study or vocational training: Vocational training since entering the UK
During part of my Qualifying Period, I was enrolled at [University] in a postgraduate diploma, to prepare the examination to become a qualified [profession] in the UK. This was an evening course, and during that period I continued to be a full-time worker.

However, given I am applying for permanent residency on the basis of being an EEA national qualified person (worker) during my 5-year Qualifying Period, I have therefore answered “No” to the question if I have been a student or done vocational training since entering the UK.

This is also the reason why I answered “No” to the question if I was a student or self-sufficient person.

Convictions and other penalties: Fines for driving offences
I have included details of the following 5no. driving offences relative to 2012, 2013 and 2014.. Please note that I learned to drive in the UK and acquired my driving licence in 2012, and I was driving weekly all over the UK between 2012 and 2016 due to my work. All fines were paid promptly.

Additional information: Other periods
As mentioned earlier, I first came to live in the UK as a child in 1991 and stayed here until 1999, when I went back to [EU country] to study my university degree and also worked there for a few years following conclusion of my university studies. I then came back to the UK for good in 2010.

As the 1991-1999 period is outside my Qualifying Period of 2010-2015, I answered “No” to the question in this section.

Documents: Other documents
Aside from the 6no. P60 tax certificates relative to my Qualifying Period, I have enclosed 2no. further P60 tax certificates, 3no. Payslips and 4no. Utility bills as proof that I have continued to live in the UK since the end of my Qualifying Period (i.e. since February 2015).

I hope you’ll find my application acceptable, however should you notice any errors, omissions or should you require further documentation, please kindly contact me at the address and/or number indicated in the heading to this letter. Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

[Name and signature]
You are an absolute star!! Thank you so much!!

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:44 pm

Hehe thought it might be of help! Best of luck :D

nizaralipiaraly
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by nizaralipiaraly » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:40 am

Hi, all thanks for the information.

I have applied PR Online and soon I will be sending all the document to Home Office, Visa and Immigration Department, DEPT. NO. 169, CAPITAL BUILDING,NEW HALL PLACE, LIVERPOOL, L3 9PP.

Can you please advise do I need to SIGN the application I have submitted online. I have printed my submitted application and Check list.

Thanks in Advance.

N Piaraly

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:15 pm

No, you "sign" online - at the end of the process, before submitting online

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Like Obormot says - if you use the online form, no need to sign. I think the online submission is like an e-signature, because there is no formal signature box for people to sign within.
If you use the paper form, you need to sign.
However - my sister submitted her PR online application, then printed everything and took it to the NCS (so she could keep her passport), and they told her she needed to sign and date the form at the end. Which is bizarre.
So in my case - just in case the Home Office wanted to be pedantic - after I submitted my PR form online, I signed and dated the printed version on the last page - after it says "I am the applicant". Then I sent everything by post (I didn't use the NCS).

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:43 pm

Guy at EPRS wanted to scan and send copies of our European ID cards. I had to stop him and say that no, only for passports one can send copies, and that we do need to add original IDsas per HO requirements. (we were only using passports for 2 people out of 5)
To which he said “OK, I do not know, you know better” (??)
On the other hand, he copied two passports for the price of one...
Those are just some generic county clerks, they do not know much.
Though, EPRS is not the same as NSC...

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:45 pm

Yes - I've read a lot of feedback on another immigration forum on Facebook about the incompetence of the NCS staff...some of them giving completely wrong advice, like in your case...And it's a paid service! :shock: