ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name Change and BRP

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

behzadkh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Name Change and BRP

Post by behzadkh » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 am

Hi,
Thanks for your great advised one of the best when I have gone through this portal.
I have couple of questions which I would be grateful if you can help me with.

I have recently received my BRP with refugee status settlement. I want to change my name and I checked that there is a fee for £229 fee for BRP replacement.
I have got the BRP for free since I have a refugee status. Does this apply to replacement or not?

If that is not the case and I have to pay the £229 what if I change my name before applying for my citizenship? Would this reduce my cost or still I have to pay this fee?

Also for citizenship they told me I need to take a B1 exam; on the GOV website there is a clause which is saying expired B1 IELTS still can be used.
I have got B2 from British Council in Iran (which is higher than B1- Speaking of 7, Writing of 6, Listening and reading of 5.5) but I have received this on 2003 which is 15 years ago. I also have GCSE English band C, Level 3 Community Interpreting (I know they don't accept these) but wouldn't combination of these help not to take the B1 exam?

Your advice on these are much appreciated.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Name Change and BRP

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:41 am

I have got the BRP for free since I have a refugee status. Does this apply to replacement or not?
You have to pay. It is your choice to change your name.
If that is not the case and I have to pay the £229 what if I change my name before applying for my citizenship? Would this reduce my cost or still I have to pay this fee?
No reduction in cost. BRP and citizenship are two separate applications.
Also for citizenship they told me I need to take a B1 exam; on the GOV website there is a clause which is saying expired B1 IELTS still can be used.
I have got B2 from British Council in Iran (which is higher than B1- Speaking of 7, Writing of 6, Listening and reading of 5.5) but I have received this on 2003 which is 15 years ago. I also have GCSE English band C, Level 3 Community Interpreting (I know they don't accept these) but wouldn't combination of these help not to take the B1 exam?
You can only use an expired test IF the test and centre are on the current list of HO approved proviers and the test is still on the approved test list.

Your GCSE is irrelevant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

behzadkh
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by behzadkh » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for quick response and the information provided.

Won't I need to get a new BRP when I apply for citizenship? As the status will be changed?
I believe the refugee status will be removed once citizenship awarded so if I change my name and get a new BRP now then again after citizenship I would have to apply for a new BRP which create double charge!

The IELTS is on the approved list as well as the center but in GOV website there is 2 condition which one of the conditions hasn't been met in my case
(it’s on the current list of recognised tests - this one is ok
it was accepted for another UK immigration application, eg when you got permission to enter -- this one hasn't been met as I haven't been asked to provide any proof for settlement. )

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 pm

You don't get a brp card when you get citizenship. You get a naturalisation certificate and a passport.

You need to then do the English test.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.