ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First Passport after naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jmmo20

First Passport after naturalisation

Post by jmmo20 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:47 am

Hi,

My naturalisation application was successful and now have my ceremony booked for November.
I have a question about the passport application. I'm a EU national and therefore have a passport and ID card.

I travel frequently within the EU (Germany mostly) for family reason, almost every other weekend, and I have pre-booked my flights until January.

It is my understanding that once you become British, you always have to use a british passport to enter the country. However, what if you don't have a passport yet?

Let me explain: let's say I apply for a UK passport the day after my ceremony. I will have to send my current EU passport as well. BUt I will keep the ID card that enables me to travel within the EU. wOuld it be an offence to return to the UK using the EU ID card AFTER I have become British even if I still don't have a UK passport?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: First Passport after naturalisation

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:58 am

It is my understanding that once you become British, you always have to use a british passport to enter the country.
There is NO such requirement. You can enter the UK with your EU passport.
Let me explain: let's say I apply for a UK passport the day after my ceremony. I will have to send my current EU passport as well. BUt I will keep the ID card that enables me to travel within the EU. wOuld it be an offence to return to the UK using the EU ID card AFTER I have become British even if I still don't have a UK passport?
NO!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jmmo20

Post by jmmo20 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:22 am

CR001 wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:58 am
It is my understanding that once you become British, you always have to use a british passport to enter the country.
There is NO such requirement. You can enter the UK with your EU passport.
NO!!
Thank you :)

IcikePicike
Hungary

Post by IcikePicike » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:31 am

You are not forced under any circumstance to get a British passport just because you are a citizen. However, most likely after Brexit, you would need to have your passport endorsed by the Home Office to allow you to travel freely.
This endorsement only lasts for the duration of the validity of your passport, it would need to be done again when you renew your EU passport.
I'm in a similar situation as you, only got my British passport about a year after I got citizenship granted and purely for administrative purposes.
it's a pretty travel document though, worth having, the pages are very nicely designed :lol: