ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancé Visa - From USA

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Fiancé Visa - From USA

Post by Jonah » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking on here for a while.. but first time poster.

I’d appreciate it if someone can answer the following questions, as I’m losing faith in my immigration lawyer. I feel like these kind of forums have helped us more than my lawyer.

I’m a British citizen, my fiancé is from the US and we want to get married asap. We have all the documents and are almost ready to apply, however I want to be 100% about a couple of things before submitting:

1. This government link (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... sa-service) advises that US citizens should send application form, passport and supporting documents to New York. However my lawyer and all the forums (like this one) say Sheffield. Which one is correct? I’m pretty sure it’s Sheffield but I can’t understand why the link says otherwise. Maybe the link applies to non-settlement visas but it doesn’t mention that it’s only applicable to certain visas.

2. My fiancé is currently in the US. My lawyer will be submitting the application online and my fiancé will attend the biometric appointment in the US and then send her passport to Sheffield. I will be submitting all the supporting documents like evidence of subsisting relationship, house inspection, etc to Sheffield from the UK. My concern is that same link mentions that an application will be refused if a passport isn’t with it. In this case, the passport and supporting documents will arrive separately to the Sheffield, is that classed as passport not with the application? Also the link mentions sending a print out of the application, the lawyer didn’t mention that either. Is sending a print out necessary?

We really don’t want any delays so just confirming. We will be using the priority service.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Jonah

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Fiancé Visa - From USA

Post by seagul » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:23 am

No one should have ever heard that the overseas applicant has to send its original passport to uk Sheffield because it usually be kept at local visa centre after biometrics enrolment. And when the visa is issued then they affix on it.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

razakgh3
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by razakgh3 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:30 am

Hi Jonah,

I am in the same process as you. my fiancee and our son are in the USA (New York) as well and they have their biometric appointment tomorrow. I think you're on the right track. I am not using a lawyer as they cost a lot of money. to answer your question to the best of my knowledge:

1. passports and supporting documents settlement applications are send to Sheffield. this is the address: international operations and visas, 6 millsands, vulcan house, sheffield, s3 8nh, uk.

All other applications are send to UKVI New Yor, British Consulate general.

2. well your second depends on what you think is beat. Since i am the sponsoring partner and have majority of the documents with me. I will get my fiancee to send me all the documents she have with her including her passport and i will add to the documents i have here and send to sheffield. I think is best to send everything together than to send them seperate. Remember is going to department with a lot of applications so better to have yours together and send than having send documents separate. The moment i receive my fiancee passports and other docs i will send it next day delivery.

Yes you must print out the completed application form and send it with documents. Remember your fiancee would have to sign the declaration section. so what i have done is to get my fiancee to print out only the pages she need to sign, sign it and add to other documents and send to me.i think the declaration pages are 2 and 12.

I have been in the UK for 12 years and have had different categories of visas. I have always done it myself and never use a lawyer and I never have any difficulties. I make sure I read a lot from forums and online materials. I take whatever information is available from the gov website although information there is always not very clearly explained. others experience and forums are the best pieces of information for visas applications.

Good luck to you and your fiancee.

Razak

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:58 am

Jonah wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:12 pm
Hi all,

I’ve been lurking on here for a while.. but first time poster.

I’d appreciate it if someone can answer the following questions, as I’m losing faith in my immigration lawyer. I feel like these kind of forums have helped us more than my lawyer.

I’m a British citizen, my fiancé is from the US and we want to get married asap. We have all the documents and are almost ready to apply, however I want to be 100% about a couple of things before submitting:

1. This government link (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... sa-service) advises that US citizens should send application form, passport and supporting documents to New York. However my lawyer and all the forums (like this one) say Sheffield. Which one is correct? I’m pretty sure it’s Sheffield but I can’t understand why the link says otherwise. Maybe the link applies to non-settlement visas but it doesn’t mention that it’s only applicable to certain visas.

2. My fiancé is currently in the US. My lawyer will be submitting the application online and my fiancé will attend the biometric appointment in the US and then send her passport to Sheffield. I will be submitting all the supporting documents like evidence of subsisting relationship, house inspection, etc to Sheffield from the UK. My concern is that same link mentions that an application will be refused if a passport isn’t with it. In this case, the passport and supporting documents will arrive separately to the Sheffield, is that classed as passport not with the application? Also the link mentions sending a print out of the application, the lawyer didn’t mention that either. Is sending a print out necessary?

We really don’t want any delays so just confirming. We will be using the priority service.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Jonah
1.) It's Sheffield. Other entry clearance applications are sent to New York but not family visas. If your wife were applying for a Tier 2 or 4, for example.

2.) Applications from the US require all docs to be in one bundle and be sent to Sheffield (including passport, even though this seems against all better judgement, I know) within 5 days of the biometric appointment. So yes, your application could very easily be refused if docs sent separately. The UKVI receive hundreds of thousands of applications every year and they might not match up the docs with the passport (I kinda get that, tbh).

I would STRONGLY suggest you post all docs to your wife in the US and she would then send them as one bundle (remember to include copies of originals that you want returned to her in the US). The reason I would advise this is because there have been some (mistaken) refusals when docs sent from the UK because the UKVI erroneously assumed that the application was being made from within the UK. It then took months to sort out...

Have you considered marrying in the US and then applying for a spouse visa? Often people just do the legal bit and then have a larger 'party'/ blessing in the UK. The reason I suggest this is that you then wouldn't need to make another application for a visa and meet all the requirements with updated docs (and the huge fee) within 6 months. Additionally, your wife would immediately be able to use the NHS and work. On the fiance visa she has access to neither of these.

razakgh3
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by razakgh3 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi Physicskate,

Thanks for pointing that out. I was going to get my fiancée to send the documents to me and I would send to Sheffield. I won’t do that now because that’s risking a refusal as you explained. Thanks for that.

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jonah » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Thank you all for responding.

I thought the NYC address might be for other visas as everyone mentioned Sheffield on every forum, not one person mentioned NYC.

I will post all the supporting documents to her and do it that way.

Also, I don’t think we’ll be using a lawyer for the FLR visa, realised we can do without him. We spent a LOT of money on him and the only real benefit I’ve got is the info for self employed stuff, I couldn’t clear advice about what is needed to prove income, etc.

We considered the spouse visa route as in a lot of ways it’s easier but we wanted to be settle together straight after marriage. With the spouse visa option, it may mean 3-6 months apart.

Thanks again. These forums are great!

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jonah » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 pm

Just to update this:

I spoke to the UKVA over the phone just to get 100% confirmation.

The person I spoke to was very sure that all visas including settlements visas from the US are now to go to NYC. He said they had just been briefed on it a few days ago and the website had been updated accordingly (last updated 10th September).

My lawyer says it’s still to go to Sheffield as the VFS website says Sheffield and they will still accept it but I’m reluctant to go against the website and verbal confirmation. Therefore I’ll be sending everything to my fiancé and she’ll send it to the NYC address.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Jonah wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 pm
Just to update this:

The person I spoke to was very sure that all visas including settlements visas from the US are now to go to NYC. He said they had just been briefed on it a few days ago and the website had been updated accordingly (last updated 10th September).

My lawyer says it’s still to go to Sheffield as the VFS website says Sheffield and they will still accept it but I’m reluctant to go against the website and verbal confirmation. Therefore I’ll be sending everything to my fiancé and she’ll send it to the NYC address.
That phone line is very well-known for giving incorrect advice and I would be very very cautious in following it. Call 10 times and you'll probably get 10 different answers!!!

I have had a quick look and can't find this information published anywhere. I do keep up to date with USA applications and am involved in another website focused on US applications. Haven't heard a peep on that website either (not allowed to name it as it's seen as an endorsement).

razakgh3
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by razakgh3 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:53 pm

My fiancee and my son have their biometric appointment tomorrow. They will find out where to send it. I trust the information you're giving but I don't trust the UKBA outside the uk customer service personnel. I rang at the start of our fiancee and dependant visa process and they could not give me that much information. It appears to be they are search on the home office website and give the information which is there, mind you most information on home office website are not explained in detailed. Good luck, Razak

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jonah » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:46 pm

physicskate wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:16 pm
Jonah wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:44 pm
Just to update this:

That phone line is very well-known for giving incorrect advice and I would be very very cautious in following it. Call 10 times and you'll probably get 10 different answers!!!

I have had a quick look and can't find this information published anywhere. I do keep up to date with USA applications and am involved in another website focused on US applications. Haven't heard a peep on that website either (not allowed to name it as it's seen as an endorsement).
The information is published on the government site in my original post. The link states where to send the application and passport, gives NYC address and the link was updated on 10th September.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... in-the-usa

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 pm

Jonah wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:46 pm
The information is published on the government site in my original post. The link states where to send the application and passport, gives NYC address and the link was updated on 10th September.

We're just having a bit of a debate about this now on 'that other website.' Have a google of the edited - very clever :wink:

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jonah » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 pm

physicskate wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:50 pm
Jonah wrote:

We're just having a bit of a debate about this now on 'that other website.' Have a google of the edited - very clever :wink:
I’m quite sure it’s NYC now, as I realised I took a picture of that site last week and the image shows two options; non-settlement (NYC address) and settlement (Sheffield), however now there’s only one. So I assume things have changed.

razakgh3
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by razakgh3 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:27 pm

My fiancé and my son just had their biometric done in New York about 30 minutes ago. The workers confirmed to her all supporting documents must be send to New York and not Sheffield.

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 pm

Jonah wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 pm
physicskate wrote:
Jonah wrote:

I’m quite sure it’s NYC now, as I realised I took a picture of that site last week and the image shows two options; non-settlement (NYC address) and settlement (Sheffield), however now there’s only one. So I assume things have changed.

OK. The hive mind has come up with this: when you purchase your VFS label to post the documentation, send the docs to wherever the label tells you to. One person has reported the address is in New York.

To be fair, there was no official announcement about this monumental change!!!! Just the hints and teasing of that one page!!! I'm rather frustrated on behalf of the visa applicants here...

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jonah » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:13 pm

physicskate wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:04 pm
Jonah wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 pm
physicskate wrote:
Jonah wrote:

OK. The hive mind has come up with this: when you purchase your VFS label to post the documentation, send the docs to wherever the label tells you to. One person has reported the address is in New York.

To be fair, there was no official announcement about this monumental change!!!! Just the hints and teasing of that one page!!! I'm rather frustrated on behalf of the visa applicants here...
It’s really confusing because VFS site says Sheffield, my lawyer (and his supervisor) say Sheffield as VFS says Sheffield and that is where online payment is made.

However, we submitted the application today and the issuing office says NY.

On the flip side.. the priority receipt says visa application Center: Sheffield!

I guess we will wait till biometric, and confirm. Booked for Monday 17th at premium centre in Chicago.

I’ll let you know!

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:54 pm

The problem with asking at a biometric appointment is that it is outsourced to a US gov't agency and they have literally nothing to do with the application process! The employees will all work for a US gov't subsidiary and none of the (US) biometrics appointments I attended had a clue what I was applying for or what the process is. Perhaps your experience will be different?

I would go with whatever is on your LABEL from VFS, not necessarily what it says on the website. Last time they changed where you send everything to, it took at least 6 months to change the website to reflect the change. The most upsetting thing is there is no 'official' announcement, but a conclusion to be drawn from one of the many pieces of information they put out there.

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jonah » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:58 pm

So an update and a new question...

The Naperville (Illinois, USA) Application Support Centre had leaflets from UK Gov saying that all supporting documents and application had to be sent to NYC as of 10th September. Also a couple of other points, the leaflet says:
- They only accept UPS return labels
- All supporting documents should be photocopies.

The new question, in short is... What do you do you if you miss your biometrics appointment? What happens to your application? Do you get another chance to attend? There doesn't seem to be a number to call or way to re-schedule online after the fact.

The long explanation about why it was missed... I'm so annoyed at VFS and my lawyer. You'll see why below:

My lawyer submitted the application online (in front of me) on the VFS site and initially chose the Naperville location, however on paying for the priority service it said this service was only available at the premium service locations. So my lawyer chose Chicago premium centre appointment for today (Monday 17th). On friday evening my fiancé received a confirmation email from the Chicago premium centre, on there it very clearly states they only do biometrics for the premium packages (which the priority visa is not). Unfortunately, we could not rearrange it over the weekend as the lawyer had the password for the application and on Monday morning it couldn't be rearranged because it was under 24 hours before the appointment.

So the first option was to attend the Chicago premium centre and explain, we knew they wouldn't process it but maybe they would rearrange, or attend the Naperville location and explain the issue. The problem was the appointment was at 12.30pm and because of work my fiancé would miss the Chicago appointment if she went to Naperville.

My lawyer recommended the latter as she apparently other clients who had chosen the premium service and went to a standard ASC and explained, the ASC just processed it. We took our lawyer's advice and went to the Naperville location, the lady there wanted us to confirm with UKVA (via phone) that the GWF number wasn't linked to Chicago premium centre and could be processed at Naperville. I was pretty sure the GWF was application specific, not location specific.

However, when I called, the agent said he couldn't confirm either way, but what he did say when I explained that the appointment at the premium centre had been missed was that the application would be invalidated anyway, because they assume you don't want to go ahead with it. Is this correct? If that is the case, can I get a refund? I read somewhere you can get a round as long as biometrics aren't done, however I also read that need to request it five days before the biometrics appointment.

This process has been far more stressful than I imagined it would be! Really regret getting a lawyer involved.

I appreciate any help/advice.

Thanks

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jonah » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:42 pm

razakgh3 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:27 pm
My fiancé and my son just had their biometric done in New York about 30 minutes ago. The workers confirmed to her all supporting documents must be send to New York and not Sheffield.

Hi Razak, just wanted to confirm if you/partner ended up sendingg the documents to NYC? Did you have any issues?

Thanks

dillonuw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by dillonuw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:08 am

Just seeing if anyone here has verified where to send the documents (Sheffield vs. NYC?) I have my bio appointment in Washington, D.C. in a week and I want to make sure that I have all my ducks in a row here.

VFS (the courier people that UKVI insisted that I use last time I applied) has been changing their site around this month, but it still lists that all documents go to Sheffield. https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/us/en/premi ... er-service

dillonuw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by dillonuw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:30 am

I also have incomplete information from the official sources. The application website (https://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/) has this paragraph after submitting payment:
If you are in the United States of America, you must send these documents to the Decision Making Centre as detailed in the information provided at the Application Support Centre and on your appointment confirmation. No personal callers will be admitted to the Decision Making Centre location and your application will not be accepted at any other location. Failure to submit the required documents will result in a delay and/or lead to the refusal of your application.

For information on where you should send these documents, please click on the link UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/provide-information
THAT link leads to a page that reads:
Where to send your supporting documents
Where you need to send your documents depends on how you’re applying. If you’re applying:

by post - send your supporting documents to the address on the form
at a premium service centre - take your supporting documents to your appointment
online - you’ll be told where to send the documents when you apply
I did the application online (at visa4uk) but was not told a place to send the docs. I am submitting the application via post, but what form is it talking about?

I've already been denied for this visa once, I really don't want a wrong address to be the reason for it this time.

dillonuw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by dillonuw » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 am

Sorry, I know three posts in a row is confusing and spammy, but I think I found the answer.

I paid for the VFS courier service at $70, and the shipping label now goes to:

VFS SERVICES USA INC.
UKVI SCANNING HUB
750 3RD AVENUE, SUITE 964
NEW YORK, NY 10017

Last time I bought courier service from VFS, it send it to Sheffield, so something has clearly changed. I would suggest buying shipping directly through VFS since they are the official courier for UKVI in the US. Thanks!

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jonah » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:49 am

dillonuw wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 am
Sorry, I know three posts in a row is confusing and spammy, but I think I found the answer.

VFS SERVICES USA INC.
UKVI SCANNING HUB
NEW YORK, NY 10017

Last time I bought courier service from VFS, it send it to Sheffield, so something has clearly changed. I would suggest buying shipping directly through VFS since they are the official courier for UKVI in the US. Thanks!
Thanks for this. I asked this question on another forum, and what you have done was the advice i.e. check what the form says when you buy the shipping labels on the VFS site.

I haven’t had chance to check yet as my lawyer did the application, and I don’t have direct access. I’ll ask her to check, I’m assuming it will say NYC.

Also, I’m not sure if you have a copy of your previous application but it says ‘issuing office - British consulate - NY’ on page 5. I wonder if it said Sheffield before.

Jonah
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jonah » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:13 am

dillonuw wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:55 am

VFS SERVICES USA INC.
UKVI SCANNING HUB
NEW YORK, NY 10017

Sorry, I’m sure you are but just want to confirm you’re going for a settlement visa. My lawyer is still advising Sheffield..

dillonuw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by dillonuw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 pm

Yes, I am going for Settlement - Civil Partnership (same forms and process as fiance).

Just attended bio appointment yesterday. They gave me a paper that says everything must be sent to the New York address, it listed an order that they want the supporting docs in, and it said you have 5 days to post it via UPS (and only UPS now).

You should get the same page when you attend bio. It is marked "effective 10 Sept 2018" at the top.

(I will try to post the full page when I can, it might help some others that have yet to attend biometrics.)

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:57 pm

dillonuw wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:56 pm
Yes, I am going for Settlement - Civil Partnership (same forms and process as fiance).

Just attended bio appointment yesterday. They gave me a paper that says everything must be sent to the New York address, it listed an order that they want the supporting docs in, and it said you have 5 days to post it via UPS (and only UPS now).

You should get the same page when you attend bio. It is marked "effective 10 Sept 2018" at the top.

(I will try to post the full page when I can, it might help some others that have yet to attend biometrics.)

Really really helpful!! It can be a bit daunting being a guinea pig...