ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP EC - Funds in Wife Account

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ravib

HSMP EC - Funds in Wife Account

Post by ravib » Tue May 20, 2008 10:27 am

Hi All,

I want to apply for EC . I am having 1.1 lakh in my account and my wife is having 4.9 lakh in her account.. she is also travelling with me . can i show funds in my wife account as maintenance funds...

senior members ...please advice..

Regards
Ravi

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 20, 2008 10:48 am

Going by the PBS guidelines, you cannot show your wife's account as evidence of maintenance funds since the PBS guidelines say that any documentation in support of maintenance funds should clearly show "the applicant's name". IMHO, since you are applying for the primary visa, you are the applicant not your wife.

Had it been a joint account, it would have worked.

And that gives me an idea that you could try - Ask your bank if they can convert your wife's account into a joint account (not open a new account but convert the existing into a joint one with the same account number). If possible, get it done asap. Once you have completed 3 months (of maintaining min. balance), ask your bank to issue a new statement to cover the 3 months in question. Since it will be joint account, the statement they give you that day should have your name on it too. If for some reason the statement does't have your name, ask them to issue a letter to you (with all necessary details as prescribed in the PBS guidelines - including your name as one of the account holders).

rahsmp

Post by rahsmp » Tue May 20, 2008 10:59 am

I agree with the mehta , but you can try getting the statements immidiately after converting your account to Joint account . Some times it may show your name for all the 3 months. (one of my friend did this and it worked for him.)

-Ra
sushdmehta wrote:Going by the PBS guidelines, you cannot show your wife's account as evidence of maintenance funds since the PBS guidelines say that any documentation in support of maintenance funds should clearly show "the applicant's name". IMHO, since you are applying for the primary visa, you are the applicant not your wife.

Had it been a joint account, it would have worked.

And that gives me an idea that you could try - Ask your bank if they can convert your wife's account into a joint account (not open a new account but convert the same account into a joint one). If possible, get it done asap. Once you have completed 3 months (of maintaining min. balance), ask your bank to issue a new statement to cover the 3 months in question. Since it will be joint account, the statement they give you that day should have your name on it too. If for some reason the statement does't have your name, ask them to issue a letter to you (with all necessary details as prescribed in the PBS guidelines - including your name as one of the account holders).

ravib

Hi

Post by ravib » Tue May 20, 2008 11:10 am

Hi Mehta,

Thanks for your reply.

Infact I have applied for EC on 8th Apr 2008 ( my account - 1.1 lakh and my wife account - 4.9 lakh ) and the EC got rejected ..Following is the exact wording in the refusal letter.

"
" You must demonstrate that you meet the

requirement of appendix C of the

immigration rules which states that you

must demonstrate that you hold 2800

pounds. The documents you have provided

do not demonstrate that you are in

possession of 2800 pounds in line with

the published guidance.

As evidence of your funds you have

submitted an ICICI bank statement , which

I acknowledge holds funds in excess of

2800 pounds . However this is not

satisfactory as evidence as you have not shown that you have held funds equivalent to 2800 pounds in total for a three month period as required by the published guidance."

Please help me to understand this better..what i felt is they are accepting the fund availability but their only concern is holding the funds for 3 months....the amounts were credited just a week before applying EC with proper documentation.

Regards
Ravi

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 20, 2008 11:31 am

If you believe that the rejection was handed out just because you did not maintain the funds for min. 3 months, then all you need to do is wait until the 3 months are complete and then re-apply.

But if you want to eliminate (minimize) your chances of rejection again, you might want to try out what I suggested earlier and that rahsmp has confirmed worked for a friend of his.

We can only suggest. But it is entirely up to you what course of action you would want to take.

regards

ravib

Hi

Post by ravib » Tue May 20, 2008 11:37 am

Hi Mehta,

Many Thanks for your advice. This is an excellent suggestion. I really feel that I got benifited by your advice. we are going to my wife bank today itself and add myself as a joint account . Many thanks once again.

Regards
Ravi

hsmpme
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpme » Tue May 20, 2008 1:31 pm

I have a similar case where my Wife's account has the required amount. I made that account a joint account. I mailed VFS Delhi and enquired about a Joint account acceptance. Here is what they responded. ( PS: I am still to apply for EC)

"With regard to your query of providing the bank statement of joint account, it is required that the account needs to be held in your name.

We hope the above information has been of help to you. If you require any further assistance please feel free to contact us. Our contact details are as given below.

Thanks & Regards

UK Helpdesk

Helpline no – 080-40084008

SMS VISA <SPACE> UK <SPACE> PASSPORT NO to 57333 receive the status of your application

Please book all appointment in advance to submit your applications.

Visit www.vfs-uk-in.com

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:18 pm

A joint account with "either or survivor" type of operation should be sufficient.

To be on the safe(st) side, get a letter from the bank providing all details as described in the PBS guidelines and also confirming that the joint account can be operated by "either or survivor". This would fulfil the requirements -
1. That the account is held in applicant's name.
2. That the applicant is allowed to operate the account without a binding consent from the joint acount holder.

regards

hsmpme
Newly Registered

Post by hsmpme » Tue May 20, 2008 2:21 pm

Yes, i agree in case you are the primary account holder. But in my case, my wife is the primary account holder.

I am not taking any chance. I am waiting for 3 months- I will be able to apply for EC by first week of August :)

hsmpinuk70
Member of Standing

Post by hsmpinuk70 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:25 pm

In a "either or survivor" operation, there's no primary or secondary applicant except on the application form that you fill when opening the account.

But if still in doubt, best to not take a chance.

regards
hsmpme wrote:Yes, i agree in case you are the primary account holder. But in my case, my wife is the primary account holder.

I am not taking any chance. I am waiting for 3 months- I will be able to apply for EC by first week of August :)

ravib

Hi

Post by ravib » Wed May 21, 2008 5:11 am

Guys,

hold on ......I got a mail from Deputy High Commission chennai about this ..please go through the mail..

"Sir,

As a general rule each single applicant will be required to produce evidence that they have £2,800 at their disposal. This money should be immediately available in sterling in the UK or there should be formal authority to transfer it to the UK. The funds should be in the applicant's name or in a joint account with a married, unmarried or civil partner. If it is in a savings account, the funds must have been held for at least 3 months. Should the money be in a current account the account must have been active for at least 6 months and show regular salary or other income in line with the applicant's stated occupation. If the money is held in trust it must be at the applicant's disposal and not administered by others.
Applicants must provide documentary evidence detailing the source of any funds that have entered their account(s) within the last 3 months, for example fixed deposits, receipts and/or legal documents relating to the sale of assets.

This is a mandatory requirement and the chances of relaxation are very remote.

Yours faithfully
Casework Section
British Deputy High Commission, Chennai

Visa Services
UK Border Agency
"

I think this clears all our doubts about funds. so guys who are ready with the above requirements , go ahead and apply for EC.

Regards
Ravi