ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

successful ILR application on UK ancestry route

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nomad545
Newly Registered
South Africa

successful ILR application on UK ancestry route

Post by nomad545 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Yesterday I received the wonderful news that I had been granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK!

Since this board has been very helpful to me over the years, I thought I would post an overview of my application so that it might inform others in future.

I applied for SET(O) at a premium service centre on the UK ancestry visa route.

1. Booking an appointment: This is (currently) pretty complicated and I almost screwed it up. Basically you need to start thinking of making an appointment around 3 months before your visa is due to expire. More detailed and precise help can be had elsewhere on the board.

2. Demonstrating continuous residence: Working from my passport, I made a list of all my absences from the UK over the 5-year period. I was well under the limit having been away from less than 180 days over the entire 5-year period. HR at my current employer agreed to endorse all my absences from the UK in the time I have been working for them, including trips that were not logged as annual leave. To prove absences before this time, I referred to specific pages in my passport where the external country stamp could be found. There was no such stamp for one trip; here I printed out a flight itinerary showing the date of exit. I included a table in my cover letter summarising all this info: date of trip (exit and re-entry) destination, purpose, evidence provided.

3. Employment: letter from HR at current employer plus letter requested and granted from HR at previous employer. Current HR letter stated that my employment is ongoing.

4. Financials: I included 6 months of payslips and my most recent p60. These were printed out by me, and certified and signed by the finance dept. of my current employer.

5. English language: I took the test rather than have my degree certified by NARIC. Note that the checklist produced by my online application suggested that I should have BOTH done, which is inconsistent with home office advice (and, as it turns out, wasn't necessary)

6. Life in UK test: obviously included.

7. Experience of appointment. It was over in around 90 minutes. No questions were asked -- I was simply told that ILR had been granted and I would received the BRP in the post.

My overriding impression is that if your application is straightforward, then the decision is more-or-less a formality.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: successful ILR application on UK ancestry route

Post by Djsuccess » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:24 pm

nomad545 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:42 pm
Yesterday I received the wonderful news that I had been granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK!

Since this board has been very helpful to me over the years, I thought I would post an overview of my application so that it might inform others in future.

I applied for SET(O) at a premium service centre on the UK ancestry visa route.

1. Booking an appointment: This is (currently) pretty complicated and I almost screwed it up. Basically you need to start thinking of making an appointment around 3 months before your visa is due to expire. More detailed and precise help can be had elsewhere on the board.

2. Demonstrating continuous residence: Working from my passport, I made a list of all my absences from the UK over the 5-year period. I was well under the limit having been away from less than 180 days over the entire 5-year period. HR at my current employer agreed to endorse all my absences from the UK in the time I have been working for them, including trips that were not logged as annual leave. To prove absences before this time, I referred to specific pages in my passport where the external country stamp could be found. There was no such stamp for one trip; here I printed out a flight itinerary showing the date of exit. I included a table in my cover letter summarising all this info: date of trip (exit and re-entry) destination, purpose, evidence provided.

3. Employment: letter from HR at current employer plus letter requested and granted from HR at previous employer. Current HR letter stated that my employment is ongoing.

4. Financials: I included 6 months of payslips and my most recent p60. These were printed out by me, and certified and signed by the finance dept. of my current employer.

5. English language: I took the test rather than have my degree certified by NARIC. Note that the checklist produced by my online application suggested that I should have BOTH done, which is inconsistent with home office advice (and, as it turns out, wasn't necessary)

6. Life in UK test: obviously included.

7. Experience of appointment. It was over in around 90 minutes. No questions were asked -- I was simply told that ILR had been granted and I would received the BRP in the post.

My overriding impression is that if your application is straightforward, then the decision is more-or-less a formality.
Congratulations
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.