ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

deleted

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rjm2k1
Newly Registered

deleted

Post by rjm2k1 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:14 pm

deleted
Last edited by rjm2k1 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed May 21, 2008 3:29 pm

Listen, I know you're having a moan and all, but welcome to the reality of international relationships. All of us who have been through this (Oi, Wanderer!) have had to deal with the laws and the seemingly shocking insensibilities. But after you've had your moan, the laws are what they are. They're pretty much the same in any developed country...so you just have to deal with them.

The reality of the situation is that your not-highly-skilled Aussie parter is too old for a working holiday visa and too distantly related for a Ancestry one. Besides your moving to Australia, her only two other realistic options are to enrol on some sort of degree course in this country that lasts at least two years (beware: expensive!). After two years cohabitating, then you could apply for a unmarried partner visa. Or you head the marriage route, and she applies as a fiancee/spouse. Fiancee if she comes here to get married. Spouse if you get married in Oz and she then accompanies you back here.

There are TONS of posts on this issue on this board. Seriously. Just have a look. And this will never be considered a human rights issue. You could go live in Australia, if necessary, is how the Home Office would see it. To be honest, you probably would have a much better life. And as for people from other countries being welcomed into the UK and working with no problems...I'm assuming you're talking about other Europeans. Well, mate, that's just part of reciprocal agreements signed up to by the UK. If you wanted to be welcomed into Poland/France/Sweden/etc and work there, then you'd have the right to do it as well.

I'm not giving you stick. I'm just trying to offer some perspective on this whole thing.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed May 21, 2008 7:06 pm

There's no human right issue here as you are not married nor have lived in the same country (I presume) long enough to have a relationship akin to marriage.

Your options are a fiancee visa, if you are planning to marry, or for you to spend some time in her country, and then either you qualify for unmarried partner's visa or a spouse visa.

Unfortunately, this is what happens when you meet someone from a different country. International relationships always require someone to move and it might not always be possible to move to the preferred country.

You do have choices. She can come to study here or maybe get a work permit. At least she is an Aussie - if she ware Thai, Indian or from most of Africa, she probably would have to fight just to get a tourist visa...

egg yolk
Newly Registered

Post by egg yolk » Wed May 21, 2008 7:24 pm

Gone is the age old concept of love and relationships.

We live in a world where those scruffy old men who you place on the hot seat decide if you can really fall in love or not.

I heard of loads of such experiences where the only thing that got in-between love and relationships was either international borders, consulate officers, ministers and the lot.

Thats just the way it is my friend, next time before faling in love think of those scruffy old men!

Good luck with your relationship - hope you guys be together.

rjm2k1
Newly Registered

deleted

Post by rjm2k1 » Wed May 21, 2008 7:25 pm

deleted
Last edited by rjm2k1 on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed May 21, 2008 8:25 pm

1. Is she a real girlfriend or just a penpal at the moment - an important distinction.

2. The problems in a long distance relationship are huge, not least culture, lack of face time, horrendous cost.

3. The above causes the protagonists to 'cut corners' in the relationship, to save money, get a visa, take your time!

4. The expense - oh the expense. Five figures easy. Visas alone two grand, flights, telecalls, presents sent 12,000 miles, 10k? Student visa is a wise move, gives u face time, give her sth out of the deal if it goes tits up. £30k.

5. I tell you this for real, a two week holiday, MSN chats and phone calls isn't a proper relationship, that only comes when you start to get sick of each other - the real test. The 'bags packed' test - u know what that is?

It's a total catch 22 being together, and one person has to make a HUGE sacrifice, you moving there if you can qualify, you paying for a student visa and course, or just putting it down to experience and letting each other go rather than risk a split up after one or the other has uprooted their lives, lost all their friends and become another statistic in a strange country.

My advice is still go for it, easy sure steps, loads of face time first, and don;t make exceptions cos u've spent xxx already or she's here anyway....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....