ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please Help! When is my qualifying period ? For ILR 5 year route (spouse visa)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Greenshoot
Newly Registered
Thailand

Checking my qualifying period for Applying ILR 5 year route too early? (Premium service)

Post by Greenshoot » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Hi,

I have first entered the UK by holding fiance/marriage visitor visa on 14/08/2013
Then granted my spouse visa (BRP card) 21/11/2013
After completing first 30 months, I have extended it following the '5 year route' accordingly which now my BRP card will be expired on 26/11/2018

I am aware that it must be 28 days before my qualifying period but Why my agent advise that I am

Greenshoot
Newly Registered
Thailand

Please Help! When is my qualifying period ? For ILR 5 year route (spouse visa)

Post by Greenshoot » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:04 am

Hi,

I have first entered the UK by holding fiance/marriage visitor visa on 14/08/2013
After completing first 30 months, I have extended it following the '5 year route' accordingly which now my BRP card will be expired on 26/11/2018

I am aware that it must be 28 days before my qualifying period and what I understand is I could apply from 24/10/2018 but why my agent advised that I could apply earlier than that by base on the date that I entered the UK (with fiance visa) and already booked a premium serivce appointment for me on 22/10/2018 ..

Could you/anyone please kindly advise whether I was right ot the agent? Or how to calculate my qualifying period correctly ?

Many thanks,
P

vinny

Re: Please Help! When is my qualifying period ? For ILR 5 year route (spouse visa)

Post by vinny » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:57 am

Unfortunately, Leave as a Fiancé(e) does not count under E-ILRP.1.3. (1)(a) towards the 5-year qualifying period for SET(M).
E-ILRP.1.3. wrote:(2) In calculating periods of leave for the purposes of sub-paragraph (1) above, any period of leave to enter or limited leave to remain as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner will be excluded.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Re: Please Help! When is my qualifying period ? For ILR 5 year route (spouse visa)

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 am

vinny wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:57 am
Unfortunately, Leave as a Fiancé(e) does not count under E-ILRP.1.3. (1)(a) towards the 5-year qualifying period for SET(M).
E-ILRP.1.3. wrote:(2) In calculating periods of leave for the purposes of sub-paragraph (1) above, any period of leave to enter or limited leave to remain as a fiancé(e) or proposed civil partner will be excluded.
The OP switched from fiancee to spouse visa on 21/11/2013. I believe that the OP can apply for ILR 28 days before 21/11/2018 and before the visa expires on 26/11/2018.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:53 am

Greenshoot wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:04 am
Hi,

I am aware that it must be 28 days before my qualifying period and what I understand is I could apply from 24/10/2018 but why my agent advised that I could apply earlier than that by base on the date that I entered the UK (with fiance visa) and already booked a premium serivce appointment for me on 22/10/2018 ..

Could you/anyone please kindly advise whether I was right ot the agent? Or how to calculate my qualifying period correctly ?

Many thanks,
P
I believe that your qualifying period started from when you switched to the spouse visa (21/11/2013) and can apply for ILR not earlier than 28 days before 21/11/2018 and must be done before your visa expires. The earliest you can apply is 24/10/2018/ https://www.timeanddate.com/date/datead ... ad=28&rec=
As Vinny already confirmed. The Fiancee visa doesn't count towards 5 year ILR
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

Greenshoot
Newly Registered
Thailand

Post by Greenshoot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:33 am

Thank you all for confirmation.
Seems like they have done this all wrong..

I was wondering if I keep my current Premium Service appointment, would My application get rejected if I apply 2 days earlier prior 28 days before my qualifying period ? As there is no timeslot available at the moment... :(

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:43 am

You cannot apply earlier than within 28 days before reaching the 5 year mark, even 2 days earlier risks a refusal and loss of your fee.

Try to get an appointment after 24th October up to and including the day your visa actually expires.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.