ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport return - reasons?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chanzanne
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Passport return - reasons?

Post by chanzanne » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:00 am

Hi all, I see a lot of people do the passport return request - why is that? I have submitted my application in September and just wondering why do everyone request their documents back so quickly?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Passport return - reasons?

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 am

Kindly refrain from asking questions in the timeline topics.

Applicants usually ask for their passports back for travel or identification purposes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

chanzanne
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by chanzanne » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 am

Sorry just wanted to find out if it is to make the application process quicker. My timeline is:

Application Sent Post – Friday 21 September
HO Received – Monday 24 September
Payment taken – Tuesday 25 September
Email Confirmation – Friday 28 September
Biometric letter – Monday 1 October (dated 27 September)
Biometric submitted - Monday 1 October
COA letter received - Saturday 6 October (dated 3 October)
Documents received- TBC

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:24 am

Timelines should be posted in timeline topic but not questions.

Asking for passport to be returned has no bearing on the speed of your application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:21 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:24 am
Asking for passport to be returned has no bearing on the speed of your application.
I though I'd argue this is not what the HO says. Once you've done your biometrics and receive your CoA, the CoA advises you to use the passport return service only if you need to travel urgently and unexpectedly, and that doing so might delay your application (can't quote as I don't have the letter with me right now, but message is along those lines).

Now, that's a very standard text from a letter that might or might not have been revised since it first started circulating. I know in recent years the process has speed up from 5-6 months to only 1.5 - 2 months, so asking for your passports back might not have an impact today, and might or might not make a difference in the time you receive your documents back.

But just to clarify the message that, officially, the HO communicates.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

chanzanne
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by chanzanne » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:36 am

Thank you Kamoe for the clarification. I was just wondering as so many people seem to do it. I don't have any travel plans so I will just leave it as it is. Thanks

marcsiga
United Kingdom

Post by marcsiga » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:49 am

chanzanne wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:36 am
Thank you Kamoe for the clarification. I was just wondering as so many people seem to do it. I don't have any travel plans so I will just leave it as it is. Thanks
I am the same. Following the timeline and just wandering how isnthat possible that people who applied later than we did already received their PR and We didn’t.
They did request their documents back. As we hve no plan tongo anywhere we will just leave it for now.
But it looks like if u request documents back they do send some respond.

We will just keep on waiting

chanzanne
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by chanzanne » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 am

marcsiga when did you apply for your PR? I am a non eu family member of an EU citizen applied through post on 21 September 2018, already got my COA so now I am just waiting for the decision letter/PR. I don't mind to wait however I just thought it is strange that everyone seems to request theirs back and that they get their PR's so quickly as I thought it will take much longer.

marcsiga
United Kingdom

Post by marcsiga » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:05 am

chanzanne wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:56 am
marcsiga when did you apply for your PR? I am a non eu family member of an EU citizen applied through post on 21 September 2018, already got my COA so now I am just waiting for the decision letter/PR. I don't mind to wait however I just thought it is strange that everyone seems to request theirs back and that they get their PR's so quickly as I thought it will take much longer.
Applied on 4th September and COA received 5th October.
We are in the same category,(non eu family member or eu uk dual citizen)
I dont really know what is going on but makes me concern why others getting it so fast and we even had to wait a month for CoA.
Although i think the application and documents we provided was very straightforward and we attached a covering letter also.
So no just waiting-waiting-and waiting .
All my free time I spend on this forum ;-)))

chanzanne
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by chanzanne » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 am

marcsiga Good luck with the waiting. I am a bit stressed as well, however, for me it has only been less than 3 weeks so I guess I am just impatient, but on the forum some people got in within 3weeks. When my EU husband applied for his PR in 2016 it took over 2 months. I am worried that I didn't send enough proof with my application but I send what it seemed like they required but still it feels like it wasn't enough because when we did it for my husband I send a massive and heavy envelope. Finger crossed. My residence permit expires in November 2018 so i hope I can get it before then if they refuse it then I will apply for the ILR on the 10year private route as I have been here for almost 11years, but it is expensive so I hope to get the EU PR. Good luck with your application and let me know when you get it.

marcsiga
United Kingdom

Post by marcsiga » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:09 pm

chanzanne wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 am
marcsiga Good luck with the waiting. I am a bit stressed as well, however, for me it has only been less than 3 weeks so I guess I am just impatient, but on the forum some people got in within 3weeks. When my EU husband applied for his PR in 2016 it took over 2 months. I am worried that I didn't send enough proof with my application but I send what it seemed like they required but still it feels like it wasn't enough because when we did it for my husband I send a massive and heavy envelope. Finger crossed. My residence permit expires in November 2018 so i hope I can get it before then if they refuse it then I will apply for the ILR on the 10year private route as I have been here for almost 11years, but it is expensive so I hope to get the EU PR. Good luck with your application and let me know when you get it.
Thank u Chanzanne!!
When we applied for RC we send 3 boxes of documents. This time we just sent what was required as we didnt want to over do it.
I m really hoping that soonnwe will get a positive reply.
This waiting is killing me. Not to tell that when we applied for RC that was really very stressful.
This time only worries me that others are getting it so fast and we even had to wait for the COA.
So let’s see.
Good luck to u and i ll definitely keep on updating ;-)

AbhishekD
Newly Registered
India

Post by AbhishekD » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:18 pm

[Hi,

I searched on GOV. UK, it says Visa office should return the passport within 10 working days,
I recently applied for my Tier-2 General extension.

Following are the timelines.

Visa applied Online: 27th September.
Documents Received at Visa office: 28th September.
Biometric data are given: 1st October.
Passport received: Not yet.

Should I ask them to return me my passport or should wait?? no travel planned...

Cheers
Avi

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:19 pm

AbhishekD wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:18 pm
[Hi,

I searched on GOV. UK, it says Visa office should return the passport within 10 working days,
I recently applied for my Tier-2 General extension.

Following are the timelines.

Visa applied Online: 27th September.
Documents Received at Visa office: 28th September.
Biometric data are given: 1st October.
Passport received: Not yet.

Should I ask them to return me my passport or should wait?? no travel planned...

Cheers
Avi
This sub form is for EU/EEA applications and not for Tier 2. Please post in the Tier 2 sub forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Roreu1
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Roreu1 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Hey I ask 1 question I’m apply pr after ror and send my ex idd.if my applaction time she travel to back home while my Pr applaction is refused or effect my applaction ? Plz replay me