ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overstaying before spouse ILR application

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

namhar
Newly Registered

Overstaying before spouse ILR application

Post by namhar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Hello

I would be very grateful for advice or info about my husband’s spouse ILR application. I’m British, my husband’s FLR expired on 1st January 2018 and for various reasons he will end up submitting his ILR application (spouse, 5 year route) a few days late. It will probably reach them on 10th January, so about 10 days overstay.

I understand that this is a breach of immigration law since the November 2016 change. I don’t think he can give them compelling reasons for applying late that they would accept (the reasons were he and our elder child had a terrible flu for 6 weeks, plus birth of second child a couple of months ago, and I doubt they would find these reasons good enough).

We have two children aged under 5, both British citizens but only one has a British passport. We haven’t got round to applying for our younger child’s passport yet, he’s 12 weeks old.

Are they likely to refuse my husband’s ILR application for being 10 days late? Would we have any grounds to appeal and what would be the chances of success of an appeal in our case?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

makky86
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Overstaying before spouse ILR application

Post by makky86 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 pm

I would be very grateful for advice or info about my husband’s spouse ILR application. I’m British, my husband’s FLR expired on 1st January 2018 and for various reasons he will end up submitting his ILR application (spouse, 5 year route) a few days late. It will probably reach them on 10th January, so about 10 days overstay.
Since November 2016 its 14 days grace period. Technically he has not overstayed and ILR application should NOT be rejected, though Home office may contact about the reason of applying this late !

Have a read

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/oversta ... ood_reason
II Youths a stuff neve endures II

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:07 am

Technically, he did overstay. But it was less than 14 days. Did he include an explanation with his application?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

namhar
Newly Registered

Post by namhar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:56 am

Thank you vinny and makky86 for responding. Yes my husband will include an explanation for the few days overstay in his ILR application but I don’t know if it’s good enough as from what I’ve read you have to have been in a medical emergency or other similar major incidents for them to accept the overstay even when its less than 14 days.
His reasons were he and our elder child had a terrible flu for 6 weeks, plus the birth of our second child a couple of months ago happening at the same time. I doubt they would find these reasons good enough.
However, as our two children are British (and I’m British too), do you think they would accept my husband’s late application on the grounds of the best interests of our British children? Are there any such provisions?

Kolly B
Newly Registered
Nigeria

Post by Kolly B » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi Namhar,

I have very limited knowledge of these things, but I would like to think that the circumstances qualifies to be seen as significant. Especially, if you have medical related record of the really bad flu, coupled with the birth of your child... I hope it goes well.

namhar
Newly Registered

Post by namhar » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:41 pm

My question is whether they would accept our weak explanation for 10 days overstay, on the basis that it would disrupt the life of our two children if his overstay explanation were rejected and therefore ILR refused? Are they less strict where (British or non-British) children would be affected by a potential refusal than they are in other cases?

(And thanks Kolly B for your kind words :))

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:17 am

They should understand.

It's also well within the 14-day limit.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Nader95
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by Nader95 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:49 pm

Hi I recently applied for indefinite leave to remain
I applied after 12 days of my visa expiry date
Now I'm worried if it's a big deal and delay or refuse my application.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:30 am

It's a big deal, unless your explanation for the delay satisfies them.
vinny wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:07 am
Technically, he did overstay. But it was less than 14 days. Did he include an explanation with his application?