ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Multiple Entry?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

UKbound

Schengen Multiple Entry?

Post by UKbound » Fri May 09, 2008 5:39 pm

I'm travelling on a cruise from the UK around Europe with my partner in mid-August.

I'm in the UK on HSMP, but American, so I don't need a visa for the EU. My partner will require a visa for the EU, however, as he's from Peru.

The first port of entry is Spain, so I'm assuming we have to apply there. I'm somewhat nervous since the first appointment we could get is 11 July, and if for some reason they deny the visa, then we'll be out a ton of cash for the cruise.

On the negative side, my partner is here as my dependent, but currently studying as well (so not working). His classes will be done at the end of June, and won't begin again until we're back. I'm not sure if that will be a problem, as it may seem like he's not working and no reason to return (except me). I'm planning to include my job info as well, but I'm not sure if they'll discount it or not.

On the positive side, we came to the UK together, and we've been here 2 years, so that should demonstrate some evidence of return. Also, I'm gainfully employed, making good money, so should help. And the cruise is paid for (several thousand pounds), so that's got to help.

All of the discussions about Spain being tough and denying for no reason really has me concerned. Any thoughts or opinions?

Does it make sense for us to try to go somewhere else in the EU before
that, and get a multi-entry visa, or would that end up being just as hard?

And if we did do something like that, then potentially the visa would be for 6 months, and only a certain number of days, and it seems like if they don't grant what we want that we can't apply again. Some of the embassy's say that you can't apply if you still have a valid visa. But that seems confusing to me, so I could be mis-interpreting..

Anyway, appreciate any help or thoughts...

Thanks!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 09, 2008 10:21 pm

And if we did do something like that, then potentially the visa would be for 6 months, and only a certain number of days, and it seems like if they don't grant what we want that we can't apply again.

All Schengen visas are 90 days max anyway, aren't they?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun May 11, 2008 9:45 am

I think you can get them longer, used to be up to 2 years/multiple entry.

I guess my issue really is that there are so many rumours about Spain being bad, but I haven't seen much detail. I'm not sure if it makes sense to try beforehand to get it from someone else. :-/

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 11, 2008 10:09 am

UKbound wrote:I think you can get them longer, used to be up to 2 years/multiple entry.

I guess my issue really is that there are so many rumours about Spain being bad, but I haven't seen much detail. I'm not sure if it makes sense to try beforehand to get it from someone else. :-/
But:
Category C refers to a short-term stay visa. They are issued for reasons other than to immigrate. They entitle holders to carry out a continuous visit or several visits whose duration does not exceed three months in any half-year from the date of first entry.
I think the Spanish consulate is more rude that ready-to-deny, but u do normally only get a short single entry schengen the first time, though not always. Does seem like they all delight in issuing the least suitable term for awkwardness.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

UKbound

Post by UKbound » Sun May 11, 2008 10:14 am

Thanks.. I'm not really sure how it works with a cruise.. Single entry, meaning you don't leave..

But we're on the boat the whole time, visiting different places.. Since we visit different countries, is that multi? Or since we're probably in EU waters the whole time, is it single?.. Maybe in practice it doesn't really matter.

I think we'll just wait then for the Spanish appointment and go with it. And hope they're not feeling especially nasty that day!

Aplmac
Newly Registered

Post by Aplmac » Sat May 24, 2008 2:07 pm

UKbound wrote:I think you can get them longer, used to be up to 2 years/multiple entry.
I had a chat with our Hon.Consul for the Netherlands
and brought up the subject of multiple entry/long-term Schengen Visas
(like how Wife's US visa is for TEN YEARS - Thank you,America!).

His response was that legit businessmen with legit need/requirement for repeated entries
can get visas for a few years, but other than that John Q.Public is toast.

So yes it's possible, but you'd better have your legit business act together.