ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Any HSMP success from UET Lahore (Pakistan)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jazbaati99

Any HSMP success from UET Lahore (Pakistan)

Post by jazbaati99 » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:43 am

Hi All

Is there any engineer graduated from UET Lahore (especially electrical / electronics) who successfully achieved HSMP. One of my friends recently was refused HSMP stating that four year engineering degree from UET Lahore is equvalent to a UK diploma which is quite un believable.

Many thanks indeed

Chess
Diamond Member

Re: Any HSMP success from UET Lahore (Pakistan)

Post by Chess » Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:42 am

One of my friends recently was refused HSMP stating that four year engineering degree from UET Lahore is equvalent to a UK diploma which is quite un believable.
Unfortunately..it is believable,

It has long been stated on this forum that a Pakistan MSc = UK BSc and Pakistan BSc = UK Diploma.

Look through previos threads on this subject,..Check under users such as NMSheick, Gwailo, Bkhan etc
Where there is a will there is a way.

NMSheikh
Newly Registered

Post by NMSheikh » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:08 pm

Hi jazbaati99,

I am an electrical (telecom) engineer from UET, Lahore and was given HSMP in one day (long time ago in good days) with my degree given the points equivalent to UK Bachelors. I know at least 7 other engineers from UET Lahore (electronics) who were successful in HSMP based on Bachelors degree points. In only one case, HSMP team giving the same reason (as given to your friend) initially rejected one of them, but when he clarified the matter and quoted previous references, he also got through successfully. I suggest your friend must take it up with HSMP team.

As stated by Chess, please also go through the “Degree Equivalence” post in HSMP section of forum. No doubt about UET Lahore’s degree (electrical): it is given same points as a Bachelors degree of UK.

M.Sc. - Once again, based on the seen experience, M.Sc. from Pakistan undertaken after 4/5 years bachelors’ degree is given points for M.Sc. by HSMP, subjected to NARIC’s comparability of the degrees. Successful examples are (i) B.Sc. UET Lahore+ M.Sc. Q.A. University. (ii) B.Sc. UET Taxila + M.Sc. from same Uni (iii) B.E from Dawood KHI + M.Sc. from KHI Uni: all scored successful points for M.Sc.

Good Luck

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:50 am

Many thanks for your reply NMSheikh

Chess,

Engineering degree from UET Lahore is a four years bachelors course, equvalent and recognised as a bachelor degree all over the world (admissions in MSC's all around the globe, workpermits and H1b's being issued etc), thats whyHSMP team decision came as a surprise.

Regards

bkhan

Post by bkhan » Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:29 am

jazbaati99 wrote:Many thanks for your reply NMSheikh

Chess,

Engineering degree from UET Lahore is a four years bachelors course, equvalent and recognised as a bachelor degree all over the world (admissions in MSC's all around the globe, workpermits and H1b's being issued etc), thats whyHSMP team decision came as a surprise.

Regards
UET bachelor degree is not recognized all over the world. Its not recognized outsisde Pakistan and Middle East. Check out with British Council Lahore. They will tell you the facts. You can get admission in MSc on the basis of UET degree but its not recognized by the Engineering councils in the UK, Australia, Canada and the USA. So you will find it hard to get a job as an engineer.
If in doubt, check out with Engineering council (Institution of Electrical and Electronic Engineers of UK).

An MA/MSc from Pakistan equals BA/BSc honours from the UK.

NMSheikh
Newly Registered

Post by NMSheikh » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:12 pm

Hi jazbaati99,

As suggested earlier by Chess & myself, please go through “Degree Equivalence” post in HSMP section (Author: kfaruki).

bkhan would be right “to some extent” regarding engineering council’s recognition in UK and other stated countries but as I told earlier, “telecom/electronics engineersfrom UET Lahore, Taxila, Dawood etc. can definitely work as an engineer in UK without involvement of engineering council in UK and this particular aspect will not induce any hardship in acquiring the job. Also in US, Canada & Australia my fellows (including my brother in US) are working as telecom engineers in giant companies like Sprint, LM Ericsson Canada, PowerTel, Cingular, and Telstra etc. All are graduates from either UET Lahore or Taxila. There would be some compulsions in other fields (like civil, mechanical, medicine, finance etc.), but electronics/telecom is going fine.

No harm in checking with local British Councils, but keep in mind that, like some of the staff in Corydon are not fully conversant with immigration issues, all the staff in British Councils may not be able to give you factual information. Have a look on the stated post including submissions by NadeemS & AsherY.

M.Sc: Again, have a look on same other post and also the cases stated above in this topic. A plain MSc (after 2 years B.Sc. from Pak) is equivalent to B.Sc. in UK, but M.Sc. after 4 years Bachelors (like 3 cases quoted above) is very much acknowledged equivalent to M.Sc. of UK.

Just another piece of info. My bother, who is electronics graduate from UET Lahore (4 years graduation) and is working as telecom engineer in USA, did his Masters from Georgia Tech, USA based on his bachelors degree from UET.

Please note that all the quoted information is based on actual happenings instead of text information.

Regards

jazbaati99

Post by jazbaati99 » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:45 am

NMSheikh & Chess

Many thanks indeed for pointing me in the right direction.

Being an engineer from UET and already working in UK for the last two years BKhan's post is highly misleading as per knowledge and experience of myself and my collegues, no one with a UET degree ever had a problem of there degree not being recognized anywhere in the world. Thats why the rejection of my friends HSMP came as a huge surprise. So just wanted to check with some UETian's who successfully got HSMP.

Many thanks again for your help

Regards

bkhan

Post by bkhan » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:42 am

Can you please post a single link to an official source that says that a BSc from UET is recognized. Please do not post a link to some "he said, they said" etc.

faree
Newly Registered

NARIC Evaluation of uet electronic engineering degree

Post by faree » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Hi
I am wondering can anyone please help me if they have their electrical engineering degree from UET LAHORE and evaluated by NARIC in UK?
I need to confirm do they consider it equivalent to Bsc degree in UK or just as
Diploma? Anyone's evaluated at same level by NARIC then please let me know.

Many thanks
Faree

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:57 am

you should start your own thread/post with your query rather than tag onto a thread that is 9 years old!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.