ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA1 and EEA2 and benefits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

scimo

EEA1 and EEA2 and benefits

Post by scimo » Thu May 01, 2008 12:22 pm

hi all,
we are applying now EEA1 And EEA2.
it be affected on both application, when we are applying for benefits. such a house benefits, tex credit. child benefits.
i am working but my salary is not enough to for all our expensive.
Thanx in advanced

ibi
Newly Registered

Post by ibi » Mon May 12, 2008 2:01 am

Idid apply for EAA1+EAA2 4 months ago, I asked my solicitor a while ago about the same issue, he confirmed that only child benefit is ok! DO NOT GET CLOSE TO ANY OTHER BENEFITS!!!! access to public finds is no good for the both of you!

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Mon May 12, 2008 4:40 pm

Idid apply for EAA1+EAA2 4 months ago, I asked my solicitor a while ago about the same issue, he confirmed that only child benefit is ok! DO NOT GET CLOSE TO ANY OTHER BENEFITS!!!! access to public finds is no good for the both of you!
I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate. I'm here on a residence card, my husband is employed, and we receive working/child tax credits along with the child benefit. This was something we checked and double checked before applying and were told it was absolutely ok. The applications were made jointly and it's paid into my husband's bank account.

scimo

Post by scimo » Mon May 12, 2008 9:45 pm

thanx a lot to replay.
i think, as a national of EEA i have rights to gat all Benifits.
my childern as a national of EEA have right whole EEA countries to gat Child Benefit. Child benefit not Effected on our Application i know that.
thanks a lot

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Tue May 13, 2008 12:55 am

scimo wrote:i think, as a national of EEA i have rights to gat all Benifits.
I agree, you should have nearly the same rights as British citizens. It does depend on how long you have been here, though. The first 3 months you are not eligible for benefits. I am not sure when you can apply for which kind of benefits, but I think after 1 year you should have access to most. After 5 years (with PR) you have officially equal rights.

Tom

scimo

Post by scimo » Tue May 13, 2008 11:59 am

thsths wrote:
scimo wrote:i think, as a national of EEA i have rights to gat all Benifits.
I agree, you should have nearly the same rights as British citizens. It does depend on how long you have been here, though. The first 3 months you are not eligible for benefits. I am not sure when you can apply for which kind of benefits, but I think after 1 year you should have access to most. After 5 years (with PR) you have officially equal rights.

Tom
Thank a lot.

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Tue May 13, 2008 1:58 pm

Here's a couple of links that might help.
WTC is available to people from EEA countries who are exercising their rights to free movement as workers in the UK under EC Regulations 1612/68 or 1251/70 or if they have a right to reside in the UK under EC Directive 2004/38. We treat such people as being ordinarily resident for the purposes of WTC. This is covered by regulation 3(4) of the Tax Credits (Residence) Regulations 2003.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/residence-rules.htm
Having the right to reside in the UK doesn't necessarily mean you are eligible to apply for social housing, get help if you become homeless and/or claim benefits. The rules are broadly as follows:

* people who are classed as 'workers' (and their family members) have the right to:
o apply for social housing
o get help if they become homeless
o claim benefits.
http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-8240.cfm

The way it was explained to me was in a nutshell like this: An EU citizen and his/her family really isn't to come to the UK and get housing benefit, tax credits and so on long-term and not be working/studying. However, if he/she is working, albiet on a low wage, then he/she is fully entitled to apply for tax credits and such, since they are in employment and therefore exercising a Treaty right.

scimo

Post by scimo » Tue May 13, 2008 11:40 pm

yankeegirl wrote:Here's a couple of links that might help.
WTC is available to people from EEA countries who are exercising their rights to free movement as workers in the UK under EC Regulations 1612/68 or 1251/70 or if they have a right to reside in the UK under EC Directive 2004/38. We treat such people as being ordinarily resident for the purposes of WTC. This is covered by regulation 3(4) of the Tax Credits (Residence) Regulations 2003.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/residence-rules.htm
Having the right to reside in the UK doesn't necessarily mean you are eligible to apply for social housing, get help if you become homeless and/or claim benefits. The rules are broadly as follows:

* people who are classed as 'workers' (and their family members) have the right to:
o apply for social housing
o get help if they become homeless
o claim benefits.
http://england.shelter.org.uk/advice/advice-8240.cfm

The way it was explained to me was in a nutshell like this: An EU citizen and his/her family really isn't to come to the UK and get housing benefit, tax credits and so on long-term and not be working/studying. However, if he/she is working, albiet on a low wage, then he/she is fully entitled to apply for tax credits and such, since they are in employment and therefore exercising a Treaty right.
Thanx alot you give lot of helpfully information.
Thanks

that mean i can apply for child and tex credit and house benefit.
it not be effected both application.

Love-Without-Borders
Newly Registered

Post by Love-Without-Borders » Sun May 25, 2008 4:17 pm

I am a working EU national married to a non-EU national. I received a registration certificate and my wife is waiting for her residence card.
I am wondering whether EEA nationals have the right to apply for benefits.

On my registration certificate I received recently it states the following:

A Registration Certificate is issued to a national of an EEA State who is excercising the right of free movement and residence within the UK. Activities which nationals of an EEA Sate are free to undertake in the UK are knows as "Treaty rights" and include the right to:
- Work (I am working)
- Be self-employed
- Study at accredited educational establishments
- Live in the UK on a self-sufficient basis (if you are not working you should be able to live on a self-sufficient basis)

Generally, after five years' residence in the UK exercising a treaty right a national of an EAA state becomes a permanent resident and may request a Document Certifying Permanent Residence. There are no restrictions on the activities which a national of an EEA State who is a permanent resident is able to undertake including:
- Work
- Self-employement
- Study
- Seeking access to social assistance on the same terms as a British Citizen. (this last point wasn't mentioned in the first paragraph, so this means EEA nationals can get access to social assistance after 5 years of residence in the UK excercising a treaty right (in my case: working).
Social assistance = benefits?

The vignette played on page 4 .....

Nationals of an EEA State who meet the relevant residence requirements are free to make an application for British Citizenship.

I would like to know the following:
- Do EEA nationals really need to wait 5 years before having the right to have access to social benefits, like council tax and housing benefit? What about Child benefits?
- The Council told me that I have the right to apply for council tax benefit and housing benefit. I am now completely confused. If I would apply and the Council accepts it, will it affect my wife's application for a residence card and even more in the future will it effect our permanent residence situation after 5 years?

Many thanks in advance.

scimo

Post by scimo » Mon May 26, 2008 9:41 am

Love-Without-Borders wrote:I am a working EU national married to a non-EU national. I received a registration certificate and my wife is waiting for her residence card.
I am wondering whether EEA nationals have the right to apply for benefits.

On my registration certificate I received recently it states the following:

A Registration Certificate is issued to a national of an EEA State who is excercising the right of free movement and residence within the UK. Activities which nationals of an EEA Sate are free to undertake in the UK are knows as "Treaty rights" and include the right to:
- Work (I am working)
- Be self-employed
- Study at accredited educational establishments
- Live in the UK on a self-sufficient basis (if you are not working you should be able to live on a self-sufficient basis)

Generally, after five years' residence in the UK exercising a treaty right a national of an EAA state becomes a permanent resident and may request a Document Certifying Permanent Residence. There are no restrictions on the activities which a national of an EEA State who is a permanent resident is able to undertake including:
- Work
- Self-employement
- Study
- Seeking access to social assistance on the same terms as a British Citizen. (this last point wasn't mentioned in the first paragraph, so this means EEA nationals can get access to social assistance after 5 years of residence in the UK excercising a treaty right (in my case: working).
Social assistance = benefits?

The vignette played on page 4 .....

Nationals of an EEA State who meet the relevant residence requirements are free to make an application for British Citizenship.

I would like to know the following:
- Do EEA nationals really need to wait 5 years before having the right to have access to social benefits, like council tax and housing benefit? What about Child benefits?

- The Council told me that I have the right to apply for council tax benefit and housing benefit. I am now completely confused. If I would apply and the Council accepts it, will it affect my wife's application for a residence card and even more in the future will it effect our permanent residence situation after 5 years?

Many thanks in advance.
no , you can apply for House Benefit and Tax credit and child benefit. it=s depend wich part of EEA are you from. iam from germany

Love-Without-Borders
Newly Registered

Post by Love-Without-Borders » Mon May 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Scimo I am from the Netherlands. I am just curious about the topic concerning EEA nationals and their rights on for example benefits.

I think life in London is very expensive compared to the Netherlands or Germany (although the Euro has made EU also expensive). We are paying a lot of tax and rent here. If you are a couple and only one of you work and you are thinking about a baby, you either need a good wage or need help like benefits.

I was planning to apply for housing benefit after I spoke to the council (I even filled in the form already), but decided not to apply because I was afraid that it would affect my wifes application for a residence card and our permanent residence status in the future.

I don't know I am confused on this matter, I think it's okay to get Child benefit or child tax credit whichever it is, but you should stay away from other benefits although I think this is unfair.

Is there anybody who is in the same situation who applied for benefits like housing benefit? Was your application for a residence card or permanent residence affected?

scimo

Post by scimo » Mon May 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Love-Without-Borders wrote:Scimo I am from the Netherlands. I am just curious about the topic concerning EEA nationals and their rights on for example benefits.

I think life in London is very expensive compared to the Netherlands or Germany (although the Euro has made EU also expensive). We are paying a lot of tax and rent here. If you are a couple and only one of you work and you are thinking about a baby, you either need a good wage or need help like benefits.

I was planning to apply for housing benefit after I spoke to the council (I even filled in the form already), but decided not to apply because I was afraid that it would affect my wifes application for a residence card and our permanent residence status in the future.

I don't know I am confused on this matter, I think it's okay to get Child benefit or child tax credit whichever it is, but you should stay away from other benefits although I think this is unfair.

Is there anybody who is in the same situation who applied for benefits like housing benefit? Was your application for a residence card or permanent residence affected?
you are right EURO countries is very expensive now. i am also confuse and need guidniess.

eva382
Newly Registered

Post by eva382 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:58 am

Love-Without-Borders wrote:Scimo I am from the Netherlands. I am just curious about the topic concerning EEA nationals and their rights on for example benefits.

Love-Without-Borders, My husband is from Netherlands too and i am a Non-EEA national. We came to UK in april 2006 and claimed benefits (Child benefit, WTC and CTC) right after i recieved my EEA FP i.e in september 2006.We were worried as well about benefits so we doubled checked everywhere. It will not affect u or ur partner's immigration status because she has the same rights here as an EEA National, if u have an EEA FP(UK) . i still call the home office and HMRC every year to confirm this because u never know when they change the"rules and regulations!"

And we also applied for Housing benefit after one year, but recently i called the council and cancelled it ,just because the council kept making mistakes in our claim (n they lost our very important documents as well!!).We can afford the rent now anyway.
I am pretty sure about these 4 benefits . Dont worry about it .

Luiz
Newly Registered

Father Applying For EEA2 Unemployed in London

Post by Luiz » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 pm

I've got granted a entry clearance on the 10th of aug. 08' & as everyone else i have to apply for the EEA2 once i'm South American and my wife European. The problem is that she's on housing and child beneffits with our 14 months old son and she does not work since her pregnancy she is on the job seekers program and i am unemployed applying.

When is the correct time to aply, now or after i get a job and how?
Once my wife is not working i have to provide them and get her out of the beneffits once we've got married am i correct?

Thank You Very Much in Advance.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:47 pm

Luiz, if I am reading that correctly, you applied overseas and got issued with a 6-month EEA Family Permit, and you are now in the UK?

I think you should proceed to get a job next, and after you have got that job you should make an application on form EEA2 for a 5-year Residence Card.

Is your wife getting Tax Credits? If so she needs to notify the Tax Credits office that you are now in the UK living with her.

Also, after you get a job the benefits profile is likely to change considerably, and all the relevant offices need to be notified.

Can you say more about your wife please. Her nationality? How long has she been in the UK? Prior to the pregnancy, was she working in the UK? If so, for how long was she working in the UK?
John

Luiz
Newly Registered

Post by Luiz » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:24 pm

Yes John !!!

First Of All, Thank You Very Much.

That's Correct. I've Just Arrieved On The 13th From Brazil ( Place Where I Am Originaly From) And Where We've Got Married Last April.
On The Stamp Is Written EEA FP; To Join Spouce/My Wife's Name.
She's Belgian And We've Met 6 Years Ago At Brazil And She Lives Here For The Past 12 Years Working And Studing.
Our Son Is 14 Months Old Now And I Will Like To Know The Procedures Of The Application, If I Have To Get a Job And Apply Or Should I Apply Straight Away With My With As an Spouncer While She's On Beneffits?

Thanks a Mile.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:14 pm

Luiz, it may surprise you to learn that you are not actually required to make the application on form EEA2. It is merely a good idea that you do so!

Given what you say about your wife, and the length of time she has been in the UK, she has PR status ... Permanent Residence .... even if she has never filled in a form to apply for that. She got her PR status, either prior to 30.04.06 if she specifically made an application, or alternatively on 30.04.06 when new EU legislation came into force.

Under those same EU regulations you have a right to be here in the UK with your wife, and that applies even if you make no further applications. However it will be a good idea to submit a form EEA2, to get a Residence Card, otherwise you may encounter problems proving to employers that you have a right to work in the UK. But the Residence Card, when issued, will not actually give you any more rights. It will merely confirm that you have those rights.

Luiz, there is no great rush to submit the form EEA2. When you do make the application you will receive back a letter confirming your continuing ability to work, while they deal with the application. In other words, there is no reason to rush the application in now.

So again suggest you proceed to get a job, and then after that amke an application for the Residence Card.

You mention the current benefit claims. That is irrelevant as far as the Residence Card application is concerned. After all, the Residence Card does not change your status, it merely confirms your status. They cannot refuse the application simply because your wife claims benefits at the moment.

Your wife continues to exercise EU Treaty Rights, even though she is not working at the moment. Indeed if that was not the case, they would not have issued the EEA Family Permit to you.
John

roros
Newly Registered

Jobs

Post by roros » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:23 pm

May I just say that employers fear that you have only 6 months on the FP as always ask you to wait until you have the residence card as they dont wanna take a risk of employing you then your residence card would not be issued

stanik

Post by stanik » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:53 am

why Home Office says EEA can't claim any benefits! But in real life EEA can and pass Habitual residence test! Will any benefits (suchs as JSA/CTB/HB) affect getting EEA3 for A8 national who already obtained EEA1 couple years ago.
There is such a big mess in rules.. omg. :x

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:54 am

why Home Office says EEA can't claim any benefits!
Do they? Where do they say that?

Also on what basis are you exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK? Employed? Self-employed? Or how?
John

stanik

Post by stanik » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:51 pm

John wrote:Do they? Where do they say that?

Also on what basis are you exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK? Employed? Self-employed? Or how?
I used to work (I have Reg Cert. (EEA1) - now I am on benefits - I called HO - lady said - no you can't be on benefits, you shouldn't have any breaks in job for more than 6 months.
I didn't agree with her.
I know if I worked in the UK more than year and claimed JSA - I will be a job seeker, but will not lose my status as Worker. - i beleive that mean I'm still a Worker.
Where is true?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:27 pm

That is true, you are still classed as a Worker, that is, as an employed person.

Insist upon making the benefit claim you seek to make.
John

stanik

Post by stanik » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:31 pm

John wrote:That is true, you are still classed as a Worker, that is, as an employed person.

Insist upon making the benefit claim you seek to make.
So, that mean if I receive JSA and HB/CTB it will not affect my EEA3 application?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:08 pm

It cannot possibly affect your move to PR, given that is determined by the terms of the EU Directive, and there is nothing in that Directive about whether a Worker, as defined, can claim benefits or not.

Of course you get PR status automatically, without application, after exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK for 5 years. The EEA3 application is merely for confirmation that PR status is held; it does not actually give any rights that you don't actually have already.
John

stanik

Post by stanik » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:02 pm

John wrote:It cannot possibly affect your move to PR, given that is determined by the terms of the EU Directive, and there is nothing in that Directive about whether a Worker, as defined, can claim benefits or not.

Of course you get PR status automatically, without application, after exercising EU Treaty Rights in the UK for 5 years. The EEA3 application is merely for confirmation that PR status is held; it does not actually give any rights that you don't actually have already.
So, can I freely show in application form that I get JSA? (obviously I had some years of working as well)