ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport Nightmare

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

little ash
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by little ash » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:54 pm

Bit of a long winded post, so i apologise in advance.
My partner was born in Germany in 1988. His mother brought him to live in the UK when he was 3 years old and changed his name to her maiden name. Sadly his mother passed away and he was placed into foster care. In 2005 he was naturalised as British under his mothers maiden name (but the certificate also shows name at birth). He previously held a German passport under his old name which expired in 2006. He has never had a British passport and when he applied in 2015 he has been told that they cannot issue a British passport under his "new" name as he previously had a German passport under his birth name. Since living in the UK he has been known as his "new" name therefore all his documents, qualifications, bills, driving licence, British naturalisation etc. are under this name, but they are refusing to issue a British Passport in the name! This has been ongoing for 3 years and we have tried to seek help for several MP's but have had no joy and The German Consulate and Embassy take months to help with anything. Please can someone offer advice or give us any hope? Or has anyone been a similar situation and had it resolved?
Thanks

Ffmuni
Germany

Re: British Passport Nightmare

Post by Ffmuni » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi, your predicament seems strange as many people undergo name changes and often have old passports in a different name. So just a quick question, when your partner's name was changed was it done officially?

On the UKVI website they do talk of changing a name on an existing passport (I know that is not what you are trying to do) and say you must supply certain information/documents, so did your partner send any proof of an official name change when he applied for citizenship (what exactly did it say on his Citizenship Certificate regarding the two names) or when he applied for his passport in 2015? As I think if it is not an official name change the Passport Office may be just refusing to recognise his, for want of a better phrase 'Also Known As' name. This is just a thought and hope it helps in someway, but I also hope someone else can come along and help you more.

Home Office Website

"Other name changes

You can change your name on your passport with one of the following documents:

‘enrolled’ or ‘unenrolled’ deed poll
statutory declaration
affidavit
Send it with your passport application and both:

proof of any previous name changes you’ve made
evidence that you’re using your new name (for example a payslip or a letter from your local council)"/b]

little ash
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by little ash » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm

Bit of a long winded post, so i apologise in advance.
My partner was born in Germany in 1988. His mother brought him to live in the UK when he was 3 years old and changed his name to her maiden name. Sadly his mother passed away and he was placed into foster care. In 2005 he was naturalised as British under his mothers maiden name (but the certificate also shows name at birth). He previously held a German passport under his old name which expired in 2006. He has never had a British passport and when he applied in 2015 he has been told that they cannot issue a British passport under his "new" name as he previously had a German passport under his birth name. Since living in the UK he has been known as his "new" name therefore all his documents, qualifications, bills, driving licence, British naturalisation etc. are under this name, but they are refusing to issue a British Passport in the name! This has been ongoing for 4 years and we have tried to seek help for several MP's but have had no success. The German Consulate are almost impossible to receive a reply from. Please can someone offer advice or give us any hope? Or has anyone been a similar situation and had it resolved?
Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:45 pm

I have merged your post with your previous topic when asked last year and to which you did receive a response asking for clarity.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

little ash
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by little ash » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi, nope still no further forward. The German consulate applied several months ago to see if it would be possible to change his name under German law. He hasn’t received a response to any emails asking for updates and HMPO are insisting he gets a letter from German authorities to say they cannot change his name. They will not issue this as they cannot say they can or they can’t as it is still with authorities in Germany (apparently). MPs are all very keen to help but once they speak to the passport office they only reappear to us what we already know. We feel like we have been hitting our head against a brick wall for 5 years. Surely there is some kind of solution?! Hoping someone will have a success story somewhere!