ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 - cos approved - 2 options given to proceed

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

roryb
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Tier 2 - cos approved - 2 options given to proceed

Post by roryb » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:41 am

I'd like to get advice for my current visa situation.

I was offered a job offer by a company in London. I started working as a contractor early September while waiting for visa process to start until now. I signed my contract as a full-time employee and left London to go back to Malaysia (I hold Malaysian passport) to start the Tier 2 visa process and 2 weeks ago my CoS was approved. Last week, I was told the company just lost its investor and would need to let go half of the office. I was briefed and given two options.

First option is to go with the visa. I’ll have to pay for my part which is going to be £1430. The company representative said that once I'm there, I would probably be made redundant in a week’s time with a week’s notice. I will then have about 3 months to be in the country which they suggested me to find another sponsor. The second option is to end my contract as contractor as soon as it ends and that's it.

I need to know if there are going to be advantages/benefits (for another company to hire me and sponsor) of having a work visa and then being made redundant? Will it be more likely for the new company to hire me if I got this visa than if I didn’t have one? I need to know if there are going to be any advantages for going through with the last stage of the visa because I will be paying quite a lot of money on my part.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Tier 2 - cos approved - 2 options given to proceed

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:55 am

What visa did or do you hold before?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

roryb
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by roryb » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:35 am

CR001 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:55 am
What visa did or do you hold before?
I'm not holding any visa at the moment. I'm in the process of applying Tier 2 when this is happening.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:50 am

. I was offered a job offer by a company in London. I started working as a contractor early September while waiting for visa process to start until now. I signed my contract as a full-time employee and left London to go back to Malaysia (I hold Malaysian passport) to start the Tier 2 visa process and 2 weeks ago
So how were you contracting/working in the UK if you did not have a visa??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

roryb
Newly Registered
Malaysia

Post by roryb » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:31 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:50 am
. I was offered a job offer by a company in London. I started working as a contractor early September while waiting for visa process to start until now. I signed my contract as a full-time employee and left London to go back to Malaysia (I hold Malaysian passport) to start the Tier 2 visa process and 2 weeks ago
So how were you contracting/working in the UK if you did not have a visa??
I'm working as a freelance and then was offered a Tier 2 position. That's not my concern. I'm back in my home country facing the situation I mentioned. I explained it that above that I started as a contractor - or other people would call Freelancer.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:50 pm

You are missing the point entirely. I asked what visa you held when you were LAST in the UK.

If you were in the UK as a 'visitor' you are NOT permitted to do ANY kind of work and you would be in breach of your visitor status if you did and this can have consequences for any future visa application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

fielddrive
United Kingdom

Post by fielddrive » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:21 pm

For a start, it will cost you a lot of money, like thousands. Have you considered that?

shearmagic
Newly Registered

Post by shearmagic » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:07 pm

no point going if you are going to be made redundant soon