ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

unpaid internship in Spain -- need work permit?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ron2110
Newly Registered

unpaid internship in Spain -- need work permit?

Post by ron2110 » Sun May 25, 2008 4:02 pm

Hello all,

I am a UK student with a non-EU passport (mauritius).

I am doing a 5-month unpaid student internship at a translation company in Madrid as part of my degree requirements in the UK (which I can prove). Would the company need to get a work permit to allow me to do this internship?

Would it be easier if it were only for 3 months?

Thanks!

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: unpaid internship in Spain -- need work permit?

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 25, 2008 5:19 pm

ron2110 wrote:Hello all,

I am a UK student with a non-EU passport (mauritius).

I am doing a 5-month unpaid student internship at a translation company in Madrid as part of my degree requirements in the UK (which I can prove). Would the company need to get a work permit to allow me to do this internship?

Would it be easier if it were only for 3 months?

Thanks!
I'll ask my non-EU gf - her class had to do placements as we call them in Europe, some in Spain.

Personally - I would think you do need a permit - work is work paid or not. You might get away with a Schengen visa for 90 days but for me that borders on deception/illegality so personally I wouldn't risk it.

Should have done German - they pay quite well, my gf got a 1000 Euro a month on her placement.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ron2110
Newly Registered

Post by ron2110 » Sun May 25, 2008 7:51 pm

Thanks Wanderer.
Did she get a work permit then? Doesn't the employer have to apply for it?
The thing is, my company is unwilling to get one because they said that it is too much hassle.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 25, 2008 9:41 pm

ron2110 wrote:Thanks Wanderer.
Did she get a work permit then? Doesn't the employer have to apply for it?
The thing is, my company is unwilling to get one because they said that it is too much hassle.
Yes she did and the employer sent her a contract and she applied for it - of course it went to and fro to her and employer and uni and took ages - four and half months - she missed half of the first placement.

Was worth it tho - her German improved exponentially well worth the hassle. This placement was arranged with the uni - they are uni friendly and didn't mind the paperwork, sure it cost more than it was worth to them...

I'll find out more when she's back from a party tonight in Old Trafford - I can't bring myself to even go near Man U's stadium, I was visibly upset tonight dropping her off after I accidently caught a glimpse of the main stand in the distance....

I'm ok now tho.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....