ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

criminal background checks

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lolo82
Canada

criminal background checks

Post by lolo82 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi all

I applied for citizenship last Thursday and it was received money Oct 15.

Today I received a letter asking for additional info along with a criminal check for Canada and Greece. I lived in Greece for 5 months in 2008. Inot order to get a background check i was told via phone and email that in order to get a check it would have to apply in person in Athens or give someone power of attorney in Greece to get my check.

Additionally now have to spend £71,50 for fingerprinting and £200 for a criminal check in Canada. It would be nice if they noted this in the application... or did I miss that?

Anyone else needed to do additional criminal checks?

2pac4ever
Mood:
Ireland

Re: criminal background checks

Post by 2pac4ever » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:00 pm

lolo82 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:11 pm
Hi all

I applied for citizenship last Thursday and it was received money Oct 15.

Today I received a letter asking for additional info along with a criminal check for Canada and Greece. I lived in Greece for 5 months in 2008. Inot order to get a background check i was told via phone and email that in order to get a check it would have to apply in person in Athens or give someone power of attorney in Greece to get my check.

Additionally now have to spend £71,50 for fingerprinting and £200 for a criminal check in Canada. It would be nice if they noted this in the application... or did I miss that?

Anyone else needed to do additional criminal checks?
As part of the application to the citizenship, you have to prove that you are of good character. There’re actually quite a lot of applications that are refused for that reason alone so they must be taking it very seriously. In fact in the second letter they mention something about being of good character and so forth. From what I can see in this forum usually they ask criminal check to people who are applying from NI I’m not sure why.
As long as you know that you’ve got a clean criminal records you shouldn’t worry. My advice would be to submit that documentation as soon as possible otherwise your application will be delayed.
What was the basis of your application? Are you applying from NI?

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 pm

Thank you.

I applied based on 3 years marriage from NI. I did send the NI check so that's one less to request.

My Canadian check will be sent off to Canada this weekend.

I wish tat the checks were requested in the application so it wouldn't be delayed. I've also written a letter to request an extension while I await my reply from Canada.

I need to see with the citizenship dept replies reguarding my Greek check. May have to fly to athens for a few days to get a check :shock:

Pancho
Newly Registered
Argentina

Post by Pancho » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:03 pm

lolo82 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 pm
Thank you.

I applied based on 3 years marriage from NI. I did send the NI check so that's one less to request.

My Canadian check will be sent off to Canada this weekend.

I wish tat the checks were requested in the application so it wouldn't be delayed. I've also written a letter to request an extension while I await my reply from Canada.

I need to see with the citizenship dept replies reguarding my Greek check. May have to fly to athens for a few days to get a check :shock:
I did not send any background check (I already had my application granted), neither my friends that got theirs approved too. I found the whole process to be very random regarding time processing, mine took only 6 months in total, and the documents INIS requires from applicants...