ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Permanent Residence - when it starts to count

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jozou
Newly Registered

Permanent Residence - when it starts to count

Post by jozou » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:17 am

Hi all,

My ILR has been refused based on 10 year long residency. I am considering making a new application for Permanent Residence rather than going through the lengthy appeal process (which is long and costly).

I was married to my EEA partner in Sept 2014. But we were living together one year before that. And I switched to EEA family member in May 2016.

My question is when can I apply for Permanent Residence? Sept next year after 5 years we married, or I already can apply as I was already in a durable relationship in 2013, or I can only appl after 5 year having the EEA family permit?

My partner is a qualified EU person who has been here for 8 years - he has not applied for PR as we are waiting for the new system to kick in.

Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Permanent Residence - when it starts to count

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:25 am

5 years from date of marriage.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jozou
Newly Registered

Post by jozou » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:25 am
Thanks! However I did see in a thread someone applied before 5 year marriage as they were living together before that and got issued PR without any questions. Wonder whether the law has softened due to Brexit. Anyways, we will get my partner his PR first.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:37 am

Did they grant the unmarried partner a residence card before marriage? The qualifying period may start from then.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mamalicious187
Gibraltar

Post by mamalicious187 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:44 am

jozou wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 am
CR001 wrote:
Thanks! However I did see in a thread someone applied before 5 year marriage as they were living together before that and got issued PR without any questions. Wonder whether the law has softened due to Brexit. Anyways, we will get my partner his PR first.
If you read the rules yourself (or already knew) then you might not need to ask in the first instance :D comparing your circumstance to other OP's is not advisable as you do not know their immigration history

You’re eligible if both of the following apply:

you’ve lived with your EEA family member in the UK for a continuous 5 year period
your EEA family member has been a ‘qualified person’ throughout the 5 years or has a permanent right of residence
You can also get permanent residence if you’ve lived in the UK for a continuous period of 5 years:

as the extended family member of an EEA national and you’ve held a valid EEA family permit and a residence card throughout
first as the family member of an EEA national and then with a retained right of residence
as the family member of a British citizen, if you entered the UK under the EU law after living in another EEA country (‘Surinder Singh’ route)
You can get permanent residence before 5 years if either:

you were living with your EEA national family member, who was working or self-employed in the UK, immediately before their death
your EEA national family member was working or self-employed in the UK but has ‘ceased activity’ (stopped work or self-employment because of retirement or permanent incapacity, or because they’re now working or self-employed in another EEA state but are still resident and return to the UK at least once a week)

jozou
Newly Registered

Post by jozou » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:57 am

mamalicious187 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:44 am
jozou wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:22 am
CR001 wrote:
If you read the rules yourself (or already knew) then you might not need to ask in the first instance :D comparing your circumstance to other OP's is not advisable as you do not know their immigration history

You’re eligible if both of the following apply:

you’ve lived with your EEA family member in the UK for a continuous 5 year period
your EEA family member has been a ‘qualified person’ throughout the 5 years or has a permanent right of residence
Thanks I did read through it. And the confusion came from: how they define “family member”? I was told that if you were living together - that proof of durable relationship, even if u r not married. You can apply after 5 years. It seems unfair that we were living together and then got married, the time starts to count not from when we moved in, but when we got married. I did not really understand the logic.

Anyways I also went through the government’s “Statement of Intent” document for “EU Settlement Scheme”, it seems like the new system will be easier and quicker to grant Permanent Residence. As my current leave is not expiring, we’ll wait for the scheme to open and apply. Hopefully it will all work out and best of luck to everyone here.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:16 pm

jozou wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:57 am
how they define “family member”
A family member of an EEA citizen (whose rights are automatic) is
a) Spouse
b) Children of the EEA citizen OR or the spouse under the age of 21
c) Dependent children of the EEA citizen or spouse
d) Dependent parents of either the EEA citizen or the spouse

All other relatives, including unmarried partners, are only considered family members if their relationship has been verified by the Home Office and they have been issued with a Residence Card.

EEA Regulation 7

Therefore, your right to reside in the UK under EU law started either when you married the EEA citizen OR when you were issued with a Residence Card of an EEA citizen, whichever one was earlier.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.