ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form T or UKF please help

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Clean1
Newly Registered
England

Form T or UKF please help

Post by Clean1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Hi all

I'm looking for urgent help please regarding my 17 year old son who was born in the UK in 2001 and has never left the country. I'm his father who is british born to british parents but his mother is from new Zealand and was an overstayer at the time of his birth.
We have never been married and she is currently in the UK on discretionary leave and is still a new zealand citizen. I urgently want to register my son for british citizenship and have taken the best part of 11 weeks gathering evidence for an application using form T, which I was believed to be the correct route.
However I have discovered in the past week there may be another route using form UKF instead and i am now in a serious dilemma as to which is the correct form to use. Also if form UKF is to be used, do I write mine or my sons name on the final declaration sheet before I sign it myself.
Any help would be of a huge benefit to me please as I've spent dozens of hours trying to find info on this in the past week. Thank you so much.

secret.simon

Re: Form T or UKF please help

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:37 pm

You can use either Form T or UKF, as your child has an entitlement to register under either. They both have different requirements for evidence (read the guidance in both cases) and different fees (Form UKF is cheaper and indeed, if his registration certificate is dated before your son's 18th birthday may even be free, but not sure).

Both Form T and UKF are lifelong entitlements and therefore you are not constrained by your son's 18th birthday.
Clean1 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:00 pm
Also if form UKF is to be used, do I write mine or my sons name on the final declaration sheet before I sign it myself.
The applicant is your son. His name and signature go into that section. Your name and signature is required in the preceding section, as are the mother's.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Clean1
Newly Registered
England

Post by Clean1 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi thank you for the speedy reply.

I thought the same that he could register under either form but have been very confused as the person that originally suggested form T to me never mentioned form UKF at all and I only just discovered it last week.
Yes he is under 18 which helps a lot and form UKF would certainly be cheaper as opposed to just over a thousand pounds for the other one and even more money after age 18.
I've filled out both in case but have spent days studying them and the guidance notes as there is a real confusion on my part as to:

1) on form T does my son sign the final declaration page as he is over 16, but it can be interpreted that I sign it instead as he is under 18?

And

2) on form UKF it states that I sign it for him as he is under 18 but doesn't really make clear if I put his or my name where the declaration applicant's name goes?

Sorry if it all sounds silly if anyone knows. I really need to get this right as this is an uregency that has appeared out of nowhere just a few months ago.
Thanks again.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:23 am

UKF is the best one in my view, as that is free application for people in your circumstance, unless your son turns 18 before decision is reached, in which case a citizenship ceremony will need to be arranged.

With Form T however, you will be required to pay a huge sum of money.

I do agree with Simon, that he will qualify for both.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Clean1
Newly Registered
England

Post by Clean1 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:10 am

Thank you both for the replies. UKF it is then. I'm happy simon suggested its my son who signs the final declaration on the last page but I'm still confused as the guidance form says an adult signs it for him if he's under 18.

Clean1
Newly Registered
England

Post by Clean1 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Can anyone please help clear up this confusion as I'm eager to get my form posted.
My son is 17 and applying with form UKF but the guidance notes clearly states that a parent signs the declaration for him if under 18, but it also seems to state that the applicant usually signs the declaration themselves, as mentioned by Simon in his earlier reply.
I'm totally torn on this not knowing who actually signs the final page. Both me and his mother have signed the consent page though.
Many thanks.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:46 am

Clean1 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:12 pm
I'm totally torn on this not knowing who actually signs the final page.
The guidance does say that a parent needs to sign for somebody under the age of 18. So, sign it yourself and send it across. Best of luck.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.