ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents returned - including all passport photos. Odd?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Supporting documents submission (from Japan) - contradictory information

Post by EastLondoner » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:13 am

Hi all,

Firstly this site has been a great help in deciphering the many requirements of the visa process. Thank you all.

I was wondering if anyone could provide clarification of the process of submitting supporting documents from Japan, as online information appears contradictory.

According the the UK.Gov website - dated March 2017:

"Supporting documents should be sent as soon as possible to the UK after the online application form has been completed, and should include your unique GWF number. The documents may be sent before your application and biometrics are submitted. The guidelines below will help you as you prepare your application"
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chan ... s-in-japan

This sounds fairly straightforward, however the VSGlobal website (which I understand she has to use? or maybe I'm wrong about this?) - states that when she attends her visa application appointment she:

"needs to bring her completed visa application and all supporting documentation"
https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/jp/en/vacs/tokyo

This has left us rather confused - put simply we are unsure whether she can send all supporting documents to me, to send to sheffield, as soon as she has submitted her online application - or whether she needs to keep hold of everything until her visa application appointment in Tokyo. Could anyone shed any light on this?

*As an aside, maybe this confusion is down to my (mis)understanding of the role of VSGlobal, and using them is optional?

Thanks all!

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Re: Supporting documents submission (from Japan) - contradictory information

Post by EastLondoner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:17 am

Hi all,

Just following this up to see if anyone had any advice.
My wife has submitted her online application and has a biometrics appointment in Tokyo in 10 days time.

The VSF info remains contradictory - and has has been told she needs to attend for her biometrics to be taken and/or submit supporting documents.

Another part of the website says she needs to bring all supporting documents

On her application she is referred to the following site to see which documents *may* be useful...:
https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigra ... mily-visas

Yet, as stated previously the Gov.uk website says she needs to send her documents to Sheffield as soon as possible after her online application - before attending the biometrics appointment.

We are very confused.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Why doesnt she just go to the VFS or call them and ask?

She can ask them whether they have a scanning service, parcel delivery, or give the option for the sponsor to send documents directly from within UK to Sheffield
Verily, After Hardship Comes Ease

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:15 pm

There doesn't appear to be a number listed - and apparently they will only speak to her at an official appointment.
She has one in 10 days - but we are just unsure whether I should send all the remaining documents to her in Japan to take with her, or whether she can send everything to me - to send to Sheffield now.

Their own site is full of contradictions!

Blighty
United Kingdom

Post by Blighty » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:53 pm

EastLondoner wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:15 pm
There doesn't appear to be a number listed - and apparently they will only speak to her at an official appointment.
She has one in 10 days - but we are just unsure whether I should send all the remaining documents to her in Japan to take with her, or whether she can send everything to me - to send to Sheffield now.

Their own site is full of contradictions!
The vfsglobal webpage https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/jp/en/how-to-apply clearly states "Bring all supporting documentation (originals and copies), sorted and separated according to the supporting documents guidelines". Your wife will need to take all documentation (including your sponsor evidence) to her biometrics interview. Nothing can be sent to Sheffield unless she is told otherwise.

The procedure varies depending on the location.

Edwardo
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Edwardo » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:27 pm

I do understand why you feel confused. it seems both VFS and Sheffield are asking for your supporting documents.

If you cannot check with a Japan based applicant what they did (and if it was OK!) then I would make sure your spouse has all the documents with her as it sounds like they are offering a scanning service.

If she does this and they say 'nah, send them all to Sheffield yourself' then you can still get this done reasonably quickly by courier, either direct from Japan or preferably sent to you, then you use Royal Mail special delivery (24hours guaranteed and signed for) to send them. This should only take a week at most.

Yes, this may mean you having to pay for two international courier deliveries but at least then you have all bases covered and peace of mind that one way or the other the Home Office will be getting your documents.

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi Blighty,

Thanks for the response. You are correct, the VSGlobal site in Japan does indeed say that, but it also says this:

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/jp/en/vacs/ ... -documents

Supporting documents should be sent as soon as possible to the UK after you have completed the online application form, and should include your GWF number. The documents may be sent before your application, passport and biometric data are submitted.

Hence our confusion - the website says two different things on two different pages.

[/quote]

The vfsglobal webpage https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/jp/en/how-to-apply clearly states "Bring all supporting documentation (originals and copies), sorted and separated according to the supporting documents guidelines". Your wife will need to take all documentation (including your sponsor evidence) to her biometrics interview. Nothing can be sent to Sheffield unless she is told otherwise.

The procedure varies depending on the location.
[/quote]

Blighty
United Kingdom

Post by Blighty » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:36 pm

EastLondoner wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:39 pm
Hi Blighty,

Thanks for the response. You are correct, the VSGlobal site in Japan does indeed say that, but it also says this:

Supporting documents should be sent as soon as possible to the UK after you have completed the online application form, and should include your GWF number. The documents may be sent before your application, passport and biometric data are submitted.

Hence our confusion - the website says two different things on two different pages.
We had similar conflicting advice from the TLScontact website in Kiev, and so I raised a complaint with them. Their response told me to send the documents to Sheffield, although they still demanded them at my wife's biometrics interview.

Try making a complaint to vfsglobal via https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/jp/en/customer-experience about this conflicting information. The "except for Settlement" statement is clearly instructing you to send everything to Sheffield.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:55 pm

"All documents submitted by customers applying for all visa categories of visas (except for Settlement) are scanned at the Visa Application Centre and sent electronically to UK Visas and Immigration."

If still in doubt and you have all documents ready to go, then perhaps just send everything to your wife in Japan. She can either have them scanned there, or even send it via parcel to Sheffield. This is to be on safe side just incase they want all documents submitted at the centre.

Hope this clears it a bit - All the best

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:00 am

Thanks all for your responses,

She's actually got virtually all important documents with her - apart from pay final bank statement, which was a nightmare to get, so I think we are going to risk it and see what happens at the visa centre.

Fingers crossed and let's see!

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Final query - posting to Sheffield

Post by EastLondoner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi all,

To Photocopy or not to photocopy - that is the question!

My wife sent our spouse visa documents to me today - hopefully arriving in the next couple of days, for me to send to Sheffield.
We have run into a problem in that the weight of the package in in excess of 3kg - this is mainly because we had read on other sites that all documents need to be photcopied - and both originals and photocopies submitted.

I have just been to the post office and been told that for something of this weight I would need to use ParcelForce - but that they do not deliver to PO Boxes (which is where we have been told to send the package).

The only option, as I see it, is to not send the photocopies - but I am worried that this could lead to a rejection IF they are required, like others have suggested.

Any advice would be welcomed - I've got about 3 days to decide what to do!

Cheers

Edwardo
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Final query - posting to Sheffield

Post by Edwardo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:13 pm

The clerk you were talking to has not looked at all options. This is taken from the Royal Mail Special Delivery site:

Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm®
Looking for a service you can trust at a great price? Special Delivery Guaranteed by 1pm is the answer. We’ll deliver your item before 1:00 pm the next working day, guaranteed or we’ll refund your money. The benefits include:
money back guarantee if your item doesn't arrive on time
end to end tracking and signature on delivery online or via your mobile
compensation cover up to £500 for loss and damage
additional compensation available up to £2,500
ideal for sending valuable items such as money or jewellery
send items up to 20kg
guaranteed Saturday delivery for an additional fee
consequential loss cover up to a maximum of £10,000 (available for an additional fee)

Underneath this was deliver by 9 am and yes, that is limited to 2 (two) kg.

https://www.royalmail.com/personal/uk-d ... l-delivery

(Click on 'Choose Your Options' down the page)

On the photocopies I sent them and they were all sent back (so likewise make sure your stamped, addressed envelope has extra stamps on it!) BUT I am sure the notes from the HO advised us to send them.

Until it is very, very clear they do not want them, I'd send - but put the copies in a separate folder rather than mix in among the originals.

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi Edwardo,

What they told me is that they can take stuff above 2Kg - BUT this is essentially transferred to ParcelForce to be delivered.

(As we know ParcelForce say they do not deliver to PO Boxes) - so I guess my options are

1. Risk sending it with the post office/parcelforce it and see what happens (risky)
2. Cut down the photocopies to try and get the package under 2kg (risky)
3. Send in two separate packages (risky)
4. Send to a different Sheffield address without a PO Box (really risky!)

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:10 pm

EastLondoner wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:20 pm
Hi Edwardo,

What they told me is that they can take stuff above 2Kg - BUT this is essentially transferred to ParcelForce to be delivered.

(As we know ParcelForce say they do not deliver to PO Boxes) - so I guess my options are

1. Risk sending it with the post office/parcelforce it and see what happens (risky)
2. Cut down the photocopies to try and get the package under 2kg (risky)
3. Send in two separate packages (risky)
4. Send to a different Sheffield address without a PO Box (really risky!)
see below, royal mail cover up until 20kg

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/uk-guaranteed
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Thanks both - looks like I'm heading back to the PO tomorrow armed with a screenshot telling them what services they offer!

Cheers.

Edwardo
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Edwardo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:33 pm

EastLondoner wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:27 pm
Thanks both - looks like I'm heading back to the PO tomorrow armed with a screenshot telling them what services they offer!

Cheers.
This was going to be my suggestion - but why not try another post office for a 2nd opinion?

Although what you have been told about over 2k goes Parcelforce is perhaps true, this is not mentioned anywhere on their website as far as I can tell.

Your other option is to shave a kilo from the papers :) Are you sending them hardened pieces of your wedding cake or something???

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Edwardo wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:33 pm

Although what you have been told about over 2k goes Parcelforce is perhaps true, this is not mentioned anywhere on their website as far as I can tell.
Its mentioned here very visibly :roll: :roll:

see page 5:
https://www.royalmail.com/sites/default ... h-2018.pdf
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:15 pm

our other option is to shave a kilo from the papers :) Are you sending them hardened pieces of your wedding cake or something???
[/quote]

God knows what's in there - mainly 3 years worth of relationship documents - email and skype evidence, and we only put a couple of pages in from every month, but apparently 100s of pages in total! (plus the photocopies)

Edwardo
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Edwardo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Yep, beginning to think now after reading Seagull's post it could well be right - and it certainly is correct that Parcelforce do not send to PO Box numbers :(

Having said that, I am surprised my package sent to Sheffield was under 2kg but I guess it must have been. They just threw it all in a plastic envelope and I saw online the next day it had been delivered and signed for.

I did scan photographs and put 4 at least on one A4 page with just a few words underneath before printing and I did not copy these relationship pages, which I guess saved quite a bit of weight. I only copied the documents I wanted sent back. (They then sent EVERYTHING back, even the extra passport photo we sent)

If 2kg is the limit and Parcelforce will not deliver once your package becomes an official parcel rather than letter, then you really will need to shave the documents or compress some, unless there are private courier companies that will deliver to PO Boxes?

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:03 pm

Do not send with ParcelForce unless you want the documents lost. Even VFS in their websites now say to avoid parcelforce. Send the standard Special Delivery by 1pm.

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:25 pm

Thanks all.
Looks all good to go with Royal Mail then.
Will avoid ParcelForce.

Edwardo - so did you also include email/social media correspondence? If so, I assume you didn't photocopy those either?

I think the bulk of our weight is due to (excessive) correspondence/photo evidence, PLUS their photocopies.

I think I'm now going to go with the idea of only providing photocopies of the documents I want back (land registry doc etc) - and not the rest.

*one related thing that i've been wondering - when it says that anything non-A4 should be copied onto an A4 sheet, does that mean that they do not want to see the originals? We've got things like, receipts, birthday cards, airline tickets etc. Any advice on this would also be appreciated.

Edwardo
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Edwardo » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:32 am

EastLondoner wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:25 pm
Thanks all.
Looks all good to go with Royal Mail then.
Will avoid ParcelForce.

Edwardo - so did you also include email/social media correspondence? If so, I assume you didn't photocopy those either?

I think the bulk of our weight is due to (excessive) correspondence/photo evidence, PLUS their photocopies.

I think I'm now going to go with the idea of only providing photocopies of the documents I want back (land registry doc etc) - and not the rest.

*one related thing that i've been wondering - when it says that anything non-A4 should be copied onto an A4 sheet, does that mean that they do not want to see the originals? We've got things like, receipts, birthday cards, airline tickets etc. Any advice on this would also be appreciated.

Our situation was we had been married 4 years and living overseas before returning to the UK and filing for the spouse visa (my wife going back to Asia when we did). I sent just a few pages of evidence of our relationship from wedding to present, no emails or any chats and as said, I put 4 or so photos on a page.

I think it was 5 pages max on proof of relationship.

Re the birthday cards, tickets etc - you should be fine to scan them and add to A4 paper. I did this with quite a few of my wife's ID papers as they were all wallet size.

And yes, did not copy these pages. Just my bank statements and things like birth certificates, marriage certs etc. I added in my covering letter that I had copied the documents I saw as most important and that they were welcome to discard the others and/or copy as necessary.

Depending on your situation you may indeed need to send more but I figured as we had a child and his birth certificate also confirmed our overseas relationship/residence that there was no need for endless paper trails.

Londoner007
Diamond Member

Post by Londoner007 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:59 pm

There is no need to send photocopies for initial spouse application as everything gets scanned by Home Office.

EastLondoner
United Kingdom

Post by EastLondoner » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:18 am

Thanks again both. Very helpful.

Edwardo - we haven't lived together, so probably need a bit more relationship evidence, but think i'll cut down then, based on what you've said.

Cheers

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:30 pm

EastLondoner wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:18 am
Thanks again both. Very helpful.

Edwardo - we haven't lived together, so probably need a bit more relationship evidence, but think i'll cut down then, based on what you've said.

Cheers
Try to send evidences regarding subsisting relationship as much as you can. To save the paper and cost even 3/4 screen shots/frames per page can be made.