ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying Citizenship as a Non-EU family member of an EEA citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

seansilva
United Kingdom

Applying Citizenship as a Non-EU family member of an EEA citizen

Post by seansilva » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:56 am

I am holding the PR as family member of EEA (Spouse) and planning to apply for British citizenship in next month. Please note my spouse will retain the EU nationality for some time.

Can someone please confirm that, that PR under EU Law is equal to ILR under British Law and that both types of applicants need to go through the same citizenship for ILR process described below?
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-in ... -to-remain

I have searched this forum and almost certain about it, but I will be grateful of someone help to hit the nail on the head please?
Thanks all!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying Citizenship as a Non-EU family member of an EEA citizen

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:40 am

For naturalisation purposes PR & ILR are the same, you have to have it held for at least one year after acquisition of either, unless you are married to a British citizen). Both confirm that a person is ".... free of immigration time restrictions on the date of application ...".

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... en-form-an
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Applying Citizenship as a Non-EU family member of an EEA citizen

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:52 am

Can someone please confirm that, that PR under EU Law is equal to ILR under British Law and that both types of applicants need to go through the same citizenship for ILR process described below?
Just a follow-up: there is only one type of naturalisation application, irrespective of whether PR or ILR, everyone goes through the same process.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

seansilva
United Kingdom

UKVCAS Sopra Steria Experience - London Premium Lounge

Post by seansilva » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:41 pm

I went to UKVCAS London premium lounge yesterday to submit my naturalisation documents and happy to share some insight on the experience. Upon arrival, the reception requested the booking confirmation document (the document you receive after scheduling the appointment and pay online on Sopra Steria UKVCAS website)

Tip 1: Don’t forget to print and take the confirmation document. Make sure, that you print the document using best resolution possible as during the appointment they need to scan the document. However, I still don’t understand why can’t they scan the QR code from your phone.

In addition to that, they asked whether you have already uploaded the documents to the website. Due to the number appointments and printer/scanner hardware incidents they usually run behind the schedule. It was 1.5 hrs waiting time for me.

Tip 2: Scan and upload the necessary documents before the appointment.

Yes, I know when you spend £200 extra, you expect them to scan and upload documents. But this only adds extra waiting time to your appointment and they may skip some important extra documents in a rush. For example, say you wanted to upload a scanned copy of previous passport or receipt of payment for an FPN, Sopra Steria will not see the need, as it is not mentioned in the document checklist. However, HO may have a different point of view.
Check list doesn’t ask for English language requirement anywhere, but it doesn’t mean you are exempt from the requirement.
In my case, I did upload the documents in pdf format use 300 dpi settings in scanner. Try to upload the documents into relevant section, it will be easier to find the documents.

The bottom line is this process may take some time to mature, Sopra Steria is still not in a position to serve complete HO application volumes.