ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child of a british citizen

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:11 am

Hi Team,

I have a 16 yrs old daughter in india. I came to uk ot Tier 1 general visa. But i have not mentioned any where about her as she was not joining at that time. But now want to bring my daughter to uk. I am british now. her mother and younger sister is also uk citizen now.
Her passport and school certificates has my names on it.

Please help me .

Regards
Raj

noajthan

Re: Child of a british citizen

Post by noajthan » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:33 pm

cuteprettysweetappealing wrote:Hi Team,

I have a 16 yrs old daughter in india. I came to uk ot Tier 1 general visa. But i have not mentioned any where about her as she was not joining at that time. But now want to bring my daughter to uk. I am british now. her mother and younger sister is also uk citizen now.
Her passport and school certificates has my names on it.

Please help me .

Regards
Raj
Suggest start here:
https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk

Note: settled status in UK will take 5 years or so, so it won't be possible to register your daughter as a citizen whilst she is still a minor. She would have to follow any plans for citizenship as an adult in her own right.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:57 am

I could be wrong, but I believe that any visa that you sponsor her for would only be valid until she turns 18. After 18, she would need to apply for a visa in her own right just like any other person from outside the EEA.

However, as you are a British citizen, she does have the right to settle with you in any country other than the UK in the EEA. So, provided you are willing to move your entire family to another EEA country like Ireland for atleast three months (six months to a year would be much better), you could look at the Surinder Singh route to bring her into the UK. It is still a 5 year route, but it is under EU law, not UK law and is less demanding in terms of requirements.

As she is 16, I presume that she would be going to university anyway and not staying at home. She could look at universities in the Netherlands and Germany whose medium of instruction is English (I am fairly certain that the University of Masstricht falls into that category). As the daughter of a British citizen, she may get a student visa in those countries faster and eventually qualify for citizenship in that country over time.

All this could have been prevented if you have moved her to the UK before the age of 12. She would then have qualified for ILR as your family member in five years and got registered as a British citizen by being a minor when both her parents were naturalised. Now she is too close to being an adult to qualify for ILR as a family member.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:12 pm

She may apply to join you under A280(b), 297. As both parents are UK citizens, she should be granted ILE.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:27 pm

vinny wrote:She may apply to join you under A280(b), 297. As both parents are UK citizens, she should be granted ILE.
That seems the most logical step.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:05 pm

We learn something new everyday.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:46 pm

vinny wrote:She may apply to join you under A280(b), 297. As both parents are UK citizens, she should be granted ILE.

hi Vinny
can you please email me your contacts i can call u to discuss.
My Email address is personal email details removed by moderator for OPs online safety.

regards

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Team,

My child came to uk as child of a british citizen. when 16 yrs old. Now 19 yrs old and need to extend visa. Can someone help me to know which form should I fill for the extension of the visa. visa is expiring in 3 months time.

thanks & Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:42 pm

Can you give the details of the visa they granted her? Didn’t it have the ILE observation/endorsement?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am

Hi Vinny,

What does that means ? I think she got ILE

Regards

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am

cuteprettysweetappealing wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:37 am
Hi Vinny,

Regards
Do click on vinny's link that is 'ILE'. It means Indefinite Leave to Enter and her visa in her passport should clearly state that if she was granted ILE. ILE is the same as ILR (indefinite leave to remain). ILE is granted outside the UK to children under 18 and ILR is only possible to apply for inside the UK after meeting the residence requirement with 5 years Limited Leave to Remain (i.e. spouse visa, work permit, ancestry visa etc).
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:51 am

Hi Vinny,

On Passport its "SETTLEMENT ACC MOTHER TO JOIN FATHER"

On brp : "DEPENDANT LEAVE TO ENTER"
Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm

Without the words Indefinite Leave to Ender or ILE, then it looks like they mistakenly granted her limited leave. If both parents were British at the time of her visa application, then get it corrected to ILE.

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:04 pm

vinny wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 pm
Without the words Indefinite Leave to Ender or ILE, then it looks like they mistakenly granted her limited leave. If both parents were British at the time of her visa application, then get it corrected to ILE.
Hi Friend
Thanks for reply i was not in uk. Can you plesae help me how can i get it corrected as the visa is getting expired in oct 2018.
ANy phone no or email address to get it corrected ?

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:14 pm

Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:04 pm
vinny wrote:
corrected
Please click on the above link as advised. Unfortunately, you have left this so late, since 2015?!

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi Vinay,
Thanks for your reply.
Question is the BRP is valid till 24 oct 2018.
not sure how long it will take to rectify.
Now should I apply Set (F) or
should I put Application for Update, replace or transfer to a Biometric Residence Permit(i.e. "https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... e-visa-brp"). :cry:

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:05 am

If there is insufficient time, then perhaps apply for SET(F) prior to expiry of leave? After they grant it, then request a refund of SET(F)'s fees and entry clearance's IHS, if the ECO made a mistake?

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:47 am

Hi Vinny,
Thanks for your reply. you made my day and life bit easy now.
Finally I need to fill SET (F).
One more quick question in set(F) is as child is 18 years old she need to Life in UK and English B1 RIght ?

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:11 am

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:47 am

Hi Venny,
Is there any 5years stay rule apply for child to fill Set (F)? Because child is in uk for 2.5 years only yet and doing A levels studies?

Regards

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:51 am

No residence requirements. If both parents are British, then child qualifies for indefinite leave. That was why the ECO should have granted ILE from the start.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:52 am

If 18 or over, then SET(F) also requires KoLL.

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:26 am

vinny wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:14 pm
Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:04 pm
vinny wrote:
corrected
Please click on the above link as advised. Unfortunately, you have left this so late, since 2015?!

Hi Vinny,
You gave me all valuable information but due to not having your contact details was not sure what to do.
After our last conversations i feel I have to apply for BRP Replacement card which I did single day service. We went there y'day. The Sr. Case worker looked into the our case history and simply void the application. After discussing with him why he has done this he verbally explain that we seen the case history you were granted the Settlement and so you don't need any visa extension. Where as get your BRP corrected as its mistakely printed "Dependent Leave to Enter". I asked that what if its not done before the expiry day. They said nothing to worry as you got settlement visa and immigration is not going to come to deport your child.
But the documentation they provided is just single line statement saying "That your application is voided and we are refunding your fee after charging £100/-"

After comming out I immidately apply for BRP amendments explaining whole story in the comment box. Hoping they should solve this ASAP.

What is your suggestion should we apply Set (F) or FLR(FP) in the mean time just to cover the child status in uk?
We already filled Sef (F) and its ready we can submited before 24th Oct as per your suggestion before. I am also keeping FLR(FP) ready in case we need to file FLR (FP). Someone also suggested about FLR(IR). Too many forms but not sure now how to proceed. Please guide
Regards
CP

cuteprettysweetappealing

Post by cuteprettysweetappealing » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:48 am

Hi Vinny,

Today i got BRP with correct information (i.e. ILE valid till 2024).

Hope i can now apply for naturalization ?

Regards
CP

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:04 am

Congratulations!

Unfortunately, as she is over 18 and presumably unmarried to a British citizen, she has to wait until after spending at least 5 years in the UK.