ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long do i have to wait ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cheekyvirgin

How long do i have to wait ?

Post by cheekyvirgin » Thu May 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Hello

I came to UK on student visa in july 2002 and now i have just got my IGS this month and would like to know that how long would i have to wait to qualify for the Indefinite stay . ( Usually 10 years but)......

One of my friend he came here in 2002 as well and now he has got his baby born in UK and when he send his application for visa extension , Home office send him letter that he can apply for the Indefinite stay, his wife is not a British National .

Please advice me regarding that.

Thanks

cheekyvirgin

Post by cheekyvirgin » Thu May 29, 2008 8:34 pm

Any one please

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Thu May 29, 2008 8:48 pm

It is hard to see what you are getting at.

If you want to know how your friend qualified for ILR, why don't you ask him?

In any case, people can qualify for ILR after 5 years on a work permit. His wife could have ILR & he has spent 2 years on a spouse visa. There are lots of routes to ILR.

IGS and student visas do not lead to settlement apart from under the long residence rules as far as I am aware.

Regards

PP

RAJ2007
Member of Standing

Post by RAJ2007 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:03 am

I think OP meant that his friend has applied for ILR but he was refused on the ground that his wife was not a british national neither she has got ILR.

Rule for ILR- If you are on WP or HSMP visa then you may qualify after 5 yrs residency.

For student, the rule is in total you need to stay here for 10yrs continously. In you case, IGS is not considered as WP/HSMP sort of visa. Therefore, for you there is two option to get ILR.

Option 1- get a WP or HSMP for 5yrs
Option 2- you have to be here for 10yrs continiously.

I hope it is clear to you.