ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of self sufficiency?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Manny20
Newly Registered
Ghana

Proof of self sufficiency?

Post by Manny20 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:51 am

Hi All,

I wish to get some advice on how to proceed. I recently applied for an EEA permit and was successful. I have since traveled to the UK and I'm looking to put in an EEA FM application. My spouse who is Italian is studying full time at the university. She works partime during term time (very little ~ about 2-3 shifts a month) but worked over 1000 pounds over the two previous summer holidays 2017&2018).

At the moment she doesn't have much in her bank account so I wish to ask how we can prove financial sufficiency as asked in section 16.9 of the EEA FM application.
Prior to my coming to the UK she lived with her mom and so did not have to pay rent and other bills.
Would a declaration be a good idea?
Thank you in advance for your response!

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Re: Proof of self sufficiency?

Post by NikiGio » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:58 pm

What are your savings approx? Presuming you are non-EEA? What do you do? How do you support yourselves? Do you both have CSI?
I am not an immigration lawyer. My comments are opinions, not legal advice.

Manny20
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Manny20 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:05 pm

I have just been in the UK for 2 weeks now. Came with an EEA family permit. I have savings approx. 1000 pounds having settled into a rented accommodation. I have a job offer with start date next week. We both have CSI from freedom elite. We had to get it to get the EEA permit

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Ok - how long have you been married? Do you have £1000 of savings between you, or more?

You probably should apply for Registration Certificate + Residence Card via your wife's status as student with CSI, but the amount of savings is important. You'll probably need to do a declaration that you won't be a burden on social security, yes.

Or you could wait until Settled Status comes in in March and apply for that.

Manny20
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Manny20 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 pm

Yes just a 1000 between us. She studies full time but works part time and that's frankly not a lot. We have been married for 3 months now but been in a relationship for 2 years. I had been studying in her uni where I met her. I went back home after studies (Jan 2018) and we married 9 months later when she came down to Ghana.
I am tempted to wait but won't the process be the same as now? With the uncertainty with Brexit I am resolved to getting something more long term before March 2019, that's assuming the residence cards come in in due time.
I am thinking of applying alone on this one while she waits to apply for presettled status in March 2019
I would think she has to show proof of payment of CSI via her bank statements as we pay by direct debit. Would a declaration still suffice?
Thanks so much for your output.

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:33 pm

Have a look at this very similar post, including the links I inserted in the answer to the other OP:

eea-route-applications/eea-qp-student-e ... %20savings
Manny20 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:05 pm
I have a job offer with start date next week.
So I would apply after you've been in the job for a while, so your combined savings are higher.
Manny20 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 pm
She studies full time but works part time and that's frankly not a lot.
Give a bit more detail about her work - how many hours a week does she work? Does she have P60s? Does she pay tax/NI?
Manny20 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:22 pm
I am tempted to wait but won't the process be the same as now? With the uncertainty with Brexit I am resolved to getting something more long term before March 2019, that's assuming the residence cards come in in due time.
The process will be a bit easier - for example, you won't need to prove CSI.

Manny20
Newly Registered
Ghana

Post by Manny20 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:50 pm

She does not pay tax and NI from her work during term time as she does a shift a week. However she does pay NI and tax on work done during the summer holidays.
Thanks for the link. I wish to add that she has a valid EHIC but I understand it covers only her so we just thought to do a one year comprehensive cover for both of us which we pay monthly.
I like the idea of working a bit and shoring some income but till when? My EEA family permit expires in April and I just don't want to have any issues with my employers.
I am also thinking a declaration would be good but I was also thinking to write a letter to explain our circumstances and that I will not be financially dependent on my spouse.
Another thing to note is that she gets financial support from her dad. Is this something we can add?

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

Manny20 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:50 pm
I like the idea of working a bit and shoring some income but till when? My EEA family permit expires in April and I just don't want to have any issues with my employers.
Say two-three months - so maybe apply around January or February. You will be given a Certificate of Application, which will give you the right to work in case your aplication takes longer than April to be processed.
Manny20 wrote:
Another thing to note is that she gets financial support from her dad. Is this something we can add?
Definitely - include a signed/dated detailed letter from him stating how he supports you/your wife, gor how long and include evidence of his financial resources (earnings, pension, etc). Your earnings can also be part of the evidence of your wife's student/self-sufficient status and the fact that she'll have enough to live on and not be a burden on state.
Manny20 wrote:
I am also thinking a declaration would be good but I was also thinking to write a letter to explain our circumstances and that I will not be financially dependent on my spouse.
The declaration needs to be written and signed by your wife - she needs to state that she has sufficient financial resources to cover her/you, so she will not be a burden on social security system. I've read that the declaration may need to be witnessed and signed by a Commissioner for Oaths, public notary or magistrate - but I've also read that this is not necessary. You could contact UKCEN, The Good Law Project and/or The Aire Centre to find out more.

The best thing to do may be to apply together with your wife - as you will need to send all her evidence anyway even if you apply on your own. You use form EEA (QC) - through which she applies for a Registration Certificate, you apply for a Resident Card. But UKCEN can advise you better on this.