ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried partner status in France

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

imagesmith
Newly Registered

Unmarried partner status in France

Post by imagesmith » Fri May 30, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi there, I am Australian and have been living with my UK born girlfriend for almost three years in France. I have some visa problems and not sure whether to go through the UK or French authorities. I also have a UK grandparent. My girlfriend is based in France. Not really sure where to start? The UK visas all seem to insist on living in the UK. Any suggestions? cheers :D

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Unmarried partner status in France

Post by sakura » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:24 am

imagesmith wrote:Hi there, I am Australian and have been living with my UK born girlfriend for almost three years in France. I have some visa problems and not sure whether to go through the UK or French authorities. I also have a UK grandparent. My girlfriend is based in France. Not really sure where to start? The UK visas all seem to insist on living in the UK. Any suggestions? cheers :D
The UK authorities have nothing to do with the situation if you want to live in France, obviously. If you want to move to the UK, then it seems you won't qualify for an unmarried partner's visa as you haven't lived together for at least four years. You could try the European route (for an EEA Family permit/ residence card) but that might also fail.

As for living in France - it depends on whether France accepts unmarried partnerships, in which case you need to seek legal advice if it is possible, and if so, apply under the European directive on free movement.