ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR (after 5 and half years)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rimm
Newly Registered

ILR (after 5 and half years)

Post by rimm » Sun May 25, 2008 1:05 am

Hi all.

Good morning.

Any advice suggestions will be appreciated.

If i apply ILR after 5 and half years how will the clock starts .

I was issued w/p on march 2003
Qualifying period =march 2008 ( completes 5 years)
but want to apply in sep 2008 .

***** so does my clock starts from sep 2003 to sep 2008*****

This is becoz to compensate excess absences .Are we allow to apply in this manner .

Any suggesstion ,information or advice will be appreciated.

Thank You.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 25, 2008 1:17 am

How excessive are your absences? Don't forget that you should apply for an extension or ILR before your current leave expires.
Last edited by vinny on Sun May 25, 2008 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

rimm
Newly Registered

hi

Post by rimm » Sun May 25, 2008 1:19 am

Hi

My visa is expiring in 2009 aug .excess by 35 days.

neel17
Newly Registered

HSMP to ILR

Post by neel17 » Fri May 30, 2008 10:13 am

This is query to all who are on HSMP for around 5 years and applied for ILR

or those who are on HSMP and will be applying for ILR

Query...

Do I have to complete exactly 4 yrs and 11 months to be eligible to apply ILR?

1. When I got first hsmp visa I came to UK after a 1 month. So total time on Initial HSMP visa spent in UK was = 1 yr 11 months

2. Then I got HSMP extension for 3 years but the start date is overlapping with the initial HSMP visa expiry (17 May) by 10 days. That gives us (start date 8 May) actual extended HSMP visa for 2 yrs 11 months and 20 days
(not 3 years theoretically if they provide us new visa from 18 May rather than 10 days before from 8th May)

3. When I will be applying for ILR my actual stay will be (1yr 11months) + (2yrs 11 months 20 days) = 4 years 10 months 20 days
(which i think is short of 10 days for 4 years 11 months minimum for eligibility - correct me)

What should I do in this case?

Any help/information is much appreciated... as I can start thinking on this.

Thank you

neel

simar

Re: HSMP to ILR

Post by simar » Fri May 30, 2008 11:07 am

neel17 wrote:This is query to all who are on HSMP for around 5 years and applied for ILR

Query...

1. When I got first hsmp visa I came to UK after a 1 month. So total time on Initial HSMP visa spent in UK was = 1 yr 11 months

2. Then I got HSMP extension for 3 years but the start date is overlapping with the initial HSMP visa expiry (17 May) by 10 days. That gives us (start date 8 May) actual extended HSMP visa for 2 yrs 11 months and 20 days
(not 3 years theoretically if they provide us new visa from 18 May rather than 10 days before from 8th May)

3. When I will be applying for ILR my actual stay will be (1yr 11months) + (2yrs 11 months 20 days) = 4 years 10 months 20 days
(which i think is short of 10 days for 4 years 11 months minimum for eligibility - correct me)

Thank you

neel

Same case as mine. I enter UK 2 months after hsmp visa stamping. Then got extention for 4 years. All in all. I will be staying here 4 year & 10 months. Well short of 28 days grace period allowed to apply for ILR.
The option is to apply for further 3 year extention under tier 1 system.
ie give 750 pounds fee and pass the point system. Then apply later for ILR

neel17
Newly Registered

Post by neel17 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:55 am

Hi Simar

But think of situation - after 1 year if the rule changes and we cannot qualify the tier-1 extension then we will end up going back... isn't it?

when is your ILR due - i mean 4 yrs and 10 mnths?

What if you apply in the last week of your expiry and cross finger and just wait? because for postal application they take 3-4 weeks and by the time they receive your application you might have completed 4yrs and 11months nearby?

Thank you...

simar wrote:
neel17 wrote:This is query to all who are on HSMP for around 5 years and applied for ILR

Query...

Thank you

neel

Same case as mine. I enter UK 2 months after hsmp visa stamping. Then got extention for 4 years. All in all. I will be staying here 4 year & 10 months. Well short of 28 days grace period allowed to apply for ILR.

simar

Post by simar » Fri May 30, 2008 1:22 pm

neel17 wrote:Hi Simar

But think of situation - after 1 year if the rule changes and we cannot qualify the tier-1 extension then we will end up going back... isn't it?

when is your ILR due - i mean 4 yrs and 10 mnths?

What if you apply in the last week of your expiry and cross finger and just wait? because for postal application they take 3-4 weeks and by the time they receive your application you might have completed 4yrs and 11months nearby?

Thank you...

simar wrote:

Query...

Thank you

neel

Yeah, their is always a risk. That’s why all these court cases come up by people. Try apply for tier 1 well before expiry of your current visa. This is best option.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Fri May 30, 2008 1:25 pm

Rather than 4 years and 11 months, it's actually 5 years minus 28 days from the initial date of entry.

neel17
Newly Registered

Post by neel17 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi Paul

I assume it is not from the date the visa issued rather it is the date of the entry.. correct me.

in my case - date of entry is one month after the visa issued.

paulp wrote:Rather than 4 years and 11 months, it's actually 5 years minus 28 days from the initial date of entry.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Sat May 31, 2008 1:31 pm

neel17 wrote:Hi Paul

I assume it is not from the date the visa issued rather it is the date of the entry.. correct me.

in my case - date of entry is one month after the visa issued.

paulp wrote:Rather than 4 years and 11 months, it's actually 5 years minus 28 days from the initial date of entry.
Which is what I said, "5 years minus 28 days from the initial date of entry" in the country. If you can extend your visa to reach that magical date, then I would advise you doing so.

There are some tricks to pay by check to delay the processing date but better leave that to people who don't have a choice. For the sake of the visa application fee, you don't want the risk of a caseworker saying sorry, you were not eligible on the day you applied (date of postage for postal application or date of submission at PEO for in person).