ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is there any way into the states when...

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

axlandslash44x
Newly Registered

Is there any way into the states when...

Post by axlandslash44x » Fri May 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Your a young profession (Account Management)...

girlfriends 23 and was offered dual nationality but turned down and its now too late as shes over 18 - her father who is a US citizen is living here in the UK and the family she does still have out in US is distant

neither of us are "highly skilled or highly qualified"

i find it incredibly frustrating that we cannot go were we like in this world.

the amount of people we let into the UK

anyhow..

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:43 pm

Can you clarify what you mean by "was offered dual nationality but turned down"? There is no such thing as being offered dual nationality. Was her father a USC at the time of her birth? If so she very probably is a USC.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Sat May 31, 2008 6:58 am

Marco, before you pulled into this quagmire again, it was already explored here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Is there any way into the states when...

Post by Christophe » Sat May 31, 2008 8:21 am

axlandslash44x wrote:Your a young profession (Account Management)...

girlfriends 23 and was offered dual nationality but turned down and its now too late as shes over 18 - her father who is a US citizen is living here in the UK and the family she does still have out in US is distant
Where did you get the idea that "it's now too late as she's over 18"? I don't think the fact that she has not had a US passport up till now means that she is not a US citizen. If she was ever one she still is one — having a British passport doesn't make any difference to that. Have you looked for example at this page?

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:32 pm

No there is some kind of system for children of US Citizens born overseas whereby if they accept citizenship of their birth country at age 18 then they can have dual but they need to clear it somehow with the US authorities, otherwise they can just have citizenship for the US if they live there and waive their citizenship right (if applicable) for the country which they were born in.

I know this because I used to go out with an American girl who's cousin lived in Hawaii but was born in Britain and she had to make a similar decision.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:09 am

Spark wrote:No there is some kind of system for children of US Citizens born overseas whereby if they accept citizenship of their birth country at age 18 then they can have dual but they need to clear it somehow with the US authorities, otherwise they can just have citizenship for the US if they live there and waive their citizenship right (if applicable) for the country which they were born in.

I know this because I used to go out with an American girl who's cousin lived in Hawaii but was born in Britain and she had to make a similar decision.
This is complete nonsense ... there is no such "system" despite many myths to the contrary.

The United States does not care about what status a U.S. citizen may or may not have under the laws of another country.

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Is there any way into the states when...

Post by sakura » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:38 am

axlandslash44x wrote:Your a young profession (Account Management)...

neither of us are "highly skilled or highly qualified"

the amount of people we let into the UK

anyhow..
Here we go again.....

Obviously you haven't spoken to the US embassy in London about what your girlfriend needs to do. GO and talk to them...we've already told you that she is already a US citizen, but you seem to insist on making things difficult.

As for this comment:
At least you're not a starving kid in Africa or Asia. Consider yourself fortunate to be an account manager in the UK rather than someone living on less than US$1 per day with no chance of getting a visa for the US.

And I am sure the US allows more people into the country than the UK...they just don't accept "boyfriends or girlfriends".

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:38 pm

JAJ wrote:
Spark wrote:No there is some kind of system for children of US Citizens born overseas whereby if they accept citizenship of their birth country at age 18 then they can have dual but they need to clear it somehow with the US authorities, otherwise they can just have citizenship for the US if they live there and waive their citizenship right (if applicable) for the country which they were born in.

This is complete nonsense ... there is no such "system" despite many myths to the contrary.

The United States does not care about what status a U.S. citizen may or may not have under the laws of another country.
I apologise for the mis-information then, I have to say that it did sound a bit odd to me at the time but it's was when a girl I used to go out with from Tennesee was talking to her Grandma on the phone and they were discussing one of her cousins who was born on a military base in Southern England.

It did sound a bit weird to me though, especially since AFAIK the US allows Dual Nationality as it simply ignores the other nationality held by the individual, as does the UK.

The United States accepts more migrants than any other country on Earth, but with one stark difference, being that other than DV, they make no attempt to formally encourage permanent or long term temporary immigration into their country. The UK, Canada, Au, NZ and now even Japan to an extent incorporate points based systems and large scale programs for Highly Skilled people, uni grads and trade certificated professionals, America does not and never will do again.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:28 am

Spark wrote: The United States accepts more migrants than any other country on Earth, but with one stark difference, being that other than DV, they make no attempt to formally encourage permanent or long term temporary immigration into their country. The UK, Canada, Au, NZ and now even Japan to an extent incorporate points based systems and large scale programs for Highly Skilled people, uni grads and trade certificated professionals, America does not and never will do again.
The United States does offer permanent immigration options based on employer sponsorship.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:41 pm

It does but its difficult and they do not advertise a standard route to it, the quotas are also very strict.

oldmedic
Newly Registered

Post by oldmedic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:51 am

Under the laws of the United States of America, any child born to an American citizen, is an American citizen. It does not matter where in the world that child was born, they are an American citizen.

That citizenship can not be taken away no matter how long they live in other countries. It has no age requirement. The only way it can ever be lost is if the person formally and legally renounces that citizenship on the appropriate forms.

The laws of no other country apply to this. Neither does the ignorance of people, and their misunderstanding of the laws of the USA.

The ONLY thing a person born in another country (with a few exceptions such as being born in an Embassy, etc.) can not do is become the President of the United States of America.

By a U.S. Supreme Court decision, even taking citizenship in another country, one that requires that you renounce your former citizenship, does NOT strip away U.S. citizenship.

So, your girlfriend is a dual citizen, regardless of whatever anyone else may have told you.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:23 am

JAJ wrote:

This is not a myth. See
http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html
http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption ... o_457.html
However I find it disturbing and disruptive to have two threads on the same issue. It isn't helping the situation.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:17 am

republique wrote:
JAJ wrote:The United States does not care about what status a U.S. citizen may or may not have under the laws of another country.
This is not a myth. See
It is a myth. There is nothing in the links you have posted to contradict JAJ's assertion that the US "does not care about what status a U.S. citizen may or may not have under the laws of another country". In other words, the US doesn't care whether you are a citizen of another country at birth, and it doesn't force you to choose between citizenship of that country and US citizenship.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:36 am

Marco 72 wrote:
republique wrote:
JAJ wrote:The United States does not care about what status a U.S. citizen may or may not have under the laws of another country.
This is not a myth. See
It is a myth. There is nothing in the links you have posted to contradict JAJ's assertion that the US "does not care about what status a U.S. citizen may or may not have under the laws of another country". In other words, the US doesn't care whether you are a citizen of another country at birth, and it doesn't force you to choose between citizenship of that country and US citizenship.
You misunderstand. There are cases when you do not automatically obtain citizenship and you must acquire or claim it via a process and that is what I am referring to. No the usa doesn't force you to choose and No the usa doesn't care if you have another nationality.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:54 am

republique wrote: You misunderstand. There are cases when you do not automatically obtain citizenship and you must acquire or claim it via a process and that is what I am referring to. No the usa doesn't force you to choose and No the usa doesn't care if you have another nationality.
Sorry mate, but you totally misunderstood JAJ's comment: he was replying to Spark's post, according to which

"there is some kind of system for children of US Citizens born overseas whereby if they accept citizenship of their birth country at age 18 then they can have dual but they need to clear it somehow with the US authorities, otherwise they can just have citizenship for the US if they live there and waive their citizenship right (if applicable) for the country which they were born in."

JAJ was right, there is no such system: it's a myth, even though many people seem to believe it.

Yes, not every child of a US citizen is a US citizen at birth, but that has nothing to do with the post you were replying to.

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:27 am

Here is the link to the US Embassy London website, which is the page that gives the information of claiming US citizenship when over 18 years of age. There are residency requirements for the parents, which differ depending on when one was born: http://uk.usembassy.gov/cons_new/acs/pa ... birth.html.

I know she is 23, so she was either born in 1985-86. That will make a difference. However, in either case, if just one parent is US citizen, that parent had to be resident in the US for a period of time. The following s quoted from the site given above:

"Child born in wedlock to one U.S. citizen parent and one non U.S. citizen parent on or after November 14, 1986: A child born outside of the United States to one U.S. citizen parent and one non-U.S. citizen parent may be entitled to citizenship providing the U.S. citizen parent had been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years, at least two years of which were after s/he reached the age of fourteen. This period of physical presence must have taken place prior to the birth of the child.

Child born in wedlock to one U.S. citizen parent and one non-U.S. Citizen parent between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986: A child born outside of the United States to one U.S. Citizen parent and one non-U.S. Citizen parent, may be entitled to citizenship providing the U.S. Citizen parent had, prior to the birth of the child, been physically present in the United States for a period of ten years, at least five years of which were after s/he reached the age of fourteen."

So, as long as her father meets te requirements of residency in the US, she can claim US citizenship.

If she does, for you to go with her, you will either have to marry in the UK first, or she can move to the US and then apply for a fiance visa (allowing you to come to the use, but you must marry in the US withing 90 days), which has to be filed in the US.

Hope this helps. I hope this clears everything up for everyone.

Cheers![/quote]

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 pm

iamwhoever, this topic has been discussed before, but we are not sure what the OP (or his girlfriend) has done to get things moving. He was told to contact the US embassy in the UK for registration details.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:03 am

Marco 72 wrote:
republique wrote: You misunderstand. There are cases when you do not automatically obtain citizenship and you must acquire or claim it via a process and that is what I am referring to. No the usa doesn't force you to choose and No the usa doesn't care if you have another nationality.
Sorry mate, but you totally misunderstood JAJ's comment: he was replying to Spark's post,
Yes, not every child of a US citizen is a US citizen at birth, but that has nothing to do with the post you were replying to.
Ok thanks for clearing that up

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:49 am

oldmedic wrote:The ONLY thing a person born in another country (with a few exceptions such as being born in an Embassy, etc.) can not do is become the President of the United States of America.
Is that right? The president must be a "natural-born citizen" of the USA, but my understanding was that that would include a person who was born outside the USA to a US citizen parent and who, on that basis, was a US citizen at birth (i.e. natural-born as distinct from naturalised).

Not relevant to very many people, since most people don't stand for election as president, 'tis true...

yankeegirl

Post by yankeegirl » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:19 am

There still doesn't seem to be a general consensus on what "natural-born" means. It was kind of interesting to read about presidential candidates not born in the US though...Barry Goldwater in Arizona before it became a state, and John McCain born in the Panama Canal Zone.

iamwhoever

Post by iamwhoever » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:38 am

Christophe wrote:
oldmedic wrote:The ONLY thing a person born in another country (with a few exceptions such as being born in an Embassy, etc.) can not do is become the President of the United States of America.
Is that right? The president must be a "natural-born citizen" of the USA, but my understanding was that that would include a person who was born outside the USA to a US citizen parent and who, on that basis, was a US citizen at birth (i.e. natural-born as distinct from naturalised).

Not relevant to very many people, since most people don't stand for election as president, 'tis true...
This site gives the info in regards to that. It is a little complicated. But, as long as you fall within these categories, you quaify.

Qualifications for Presidency: http://www.presidentsusa.net/qualifications.html

Definition of Natural-Born Citizens: http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_citi.html

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:02 pm

Thanks, iamwhoever! (This is the thread I meant to say thank you on before...)

:oops:

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 am

Only the U.S. Supreme Court can definitively pronounce on the definition of "natural born citizen."