ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clarification of 6 weeks absence rule

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

water_tank1
Ireland

Clarification of 6 weeks absence rule

Post by water_tank1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:39 am

Hi all

I just wanted to clarify the following with you all and hopefully, I'm correct in thinking ...

1) 5.6 Have you been absent from the State for more than 6 weeks per annum in any of the past 5
years? - Am I correct in thinking that this is per calendar year for the 6-week absence rule?

2) One year continuous residence prior to application for Citizenship - This is solely to do with no gaps in stamps prior to application?

I'm both UK/Irish passport holder and my wife is a non EU national holding Stamp 4 Eufam until 2022 and plan on applying for citizenship in 2019.

Any help in clarification is greatly appreciated.

MrDeen
Newly Registered
Spain

Re: Clarification of 6 weeks absence rule

Post by MrDeen » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:15 am

1) I wrote them an email few weeks ago regarding this, they confirmed it's per calendar year i.e Jan - Dec. But I suggest you write them an email to confirm as well.

2) As per previous posts on this forum, it's the gap in stamps as you stated.

water_tank1
Ireland

Post by water_tank1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:39 pm

MrDeen wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:15 am
1) I wrote them an email few weeks ago regarding this, they confirmed it's per calendar year i.e Jan - Dec. But I suggest you write them an email to confirm as well.

2) As per previous posts on this forum, it's the gap in stamps as you stated.

That's great news, put my mind at rest. I was overthinking about having to delay sending in my wife's application.

Thanks for your input. :D

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:04 pm

water_tank1 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:39 am
Hi all

I just wanted to clarify the following with you all and hopefully, I'm correct in thinking ...

1) 5.6 Have you been absent from the State for more than 6 weeks per annum in any of the past 5
years? - Am I correct in thinking that this is per calendar year for the 6-week absence rule?

2) One year continuous residence prior to application for Citizenship - This is solely to do with no gaps in stamps prior to application?

I'm both UK/Irish passport holder and my wife is a non EU national holding Stamp 4 Eufam until 2022 and plan on applying for citizenship in 2019.

Any help in clarification is greatly appreciated.
Just to clarify the "one year continuous residence prior to application" also means that aside from short holidays or work related short trips, the non EU national has not been outside of Ireland for long periods of times even without gaps in the residence stamps.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

water_tank1
Ireland

Post by water_tank1 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:30 am

Thanks, everyone for answering my last question.

I have another question ...

Does the department count the day of departure and day of arrival as absent from the country? Is it full 24 hours they count as absent? I ask because I am over by two days and if they don't count the departure and arrival days as absent then I will be fine.

Thanks again :)

sanzo
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by sanzo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:42 am

No, they don't count the departure and arrival days.
water_tank1 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:30 am
Thanks, everyone for answering my last question.

I have another question ...

Does the department count the day of departure and day of arrival as absent from the country? Is it full 24 hours they count as absent? I ask because I am over by two days and if they don't count the departure and arrival days as absent then I will be fine.

Thanks again :)