ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language requirement for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

drali444
United Kingdom

ILR query

Post by drali444 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:44 pm

HI Everyone,

My wife came to UK on tier 2 general visa in Feb 2014 but after few months in 16th July 2014 she changed to tier 2 dependent visa. My questions are:

1) Can she use her tier 2 general period towards ILR or is it going to be only after she changed to tier 2 dependent visa?

2) If it is only her dependant visa period that is counted towards ILR, can she apply 28 days before 16th July for her ILR application ?

3) I am BC now, Can I apply for her BC straight after her ILR or does she need to complete 1 years after ILR.

Many thanks.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: ILR query

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:16 pm

1. No she cannot use tier 2 General time.

2. Yes, she needs 5 years residence as pbs dependent to qualify for ILR. Yes there has been no change to the 28 days concession.

3. Yes provided she meets the 3 years residence and standard requirements to apply as spouse of BC.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

drali444
United Kingdom

English Requirement for ILR

Post by drali444 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:30 pm

HI,

I am planning to apply for my wifes ILR who is on tier 2 dependent. She came on tier 2 general initially and then switched to tier 2 dependent few months after. She showed her IELTS the with required score when she applied for her tier 2 general visa.
Can she use the same IELTS certificate when applying for her ILR for English requirement?

thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: English Requirement for ILR

Post by Casa » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:48 pm

drali444 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:30 pm
HI,

I am planning to apply for my wifes ILR who is on tier 2 dependent. She came on tier 2 general initially and then switched to tier 2 dependent few months after. She showed her IELTS the with required score when she applied for her tier 2 general visa.
Can she use the same IELTS certificate when applying for her ILR for English requirement?

thanks
At what level? She needs B1 level + The Life in the UK test.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:06 pm

drali444 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:30 pm
HI,

thanks
She doesn't qualify for ILR yet. She will qualify in July next year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

drali444
United Kingdom

Post by drali444 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Thanks for your reply. We will apply for her ILR in July. I just want to make sure we have all the required documents.
She used this B1 + IELTS score for her own tier 2 general visa but later she switched to my dependent. Can she use the same IELTS result which has expired now for her ILR
Thanks

drali444
United Kingdom

Post by drali444 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Can someone please clarify this for me.
Will she be able to use the same IELTS result or she should give it again?
TO be clear my query is: she has the required ILETS score which she used to get her tier 2 general visa but later she switched to my dependent. She will be applying ILR next year using 5 year tier 2 dependent route. Can she use the same IELTS result?
thanks

katanayi
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by katanayi » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:49 pm

SAMISPOUSAL
India

Post by SAMISPOUSAL » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:06 am

you cannot use a 2 years old cert IF you have changed your ROUTE TRACK...
The big question you should be asking is

when you changed from T2 gen to T2 dependent IS THAT DEEMED TO BE A CHANGE OF TRACK ?

good luck

please note I am not an immigration lawyer or expert.
British man sponsoring Indian wife.Application Pune --Mumbai 18 DEC 2013 Requested further info 27 01 2014

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:58 am

2.2 wrote:For the purposes of paragraph 2.1, an applicant demonstrates sufficient knowledge of the English language if:
(b) the applicant-
(i) has limited leave to enter or remain in the UK, and
(ii) that leave (or a grant of leave which preceded it provided any periods of leave since have been unbroken) was given on the basis that the applicant had an English language qualification at a minimum level of B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
(iii) at the date of application, the provider of that qualification continues to be approved by the Secretary of State as specified in Appendix O to these Rules.
Are the periods of leave unbroken when switching from Tier 2 (General) to Tier 2 (General) dependant? I'm unsure, as I cannot see the definitions of broken/unbroken for KoLL purposes.
Indefinite leave applications wrote:The English language test must have been taken no more than 2 years before the date of application. However, tests that have been taken more than 2 years ago and have since expired, can still be accepted where the qualification:

• is from one of the providers on the current SELT list
• has previously been accepted by us as part of another immigration application, such as for entry clearance. A qualification that is not from one of the providers on the current SELT list, is not acceptable even if previously accepted by us as part of another application
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

drali444
United Kingdom

Post by drali444 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:06 pm

Thank you for your input. I am still clear if she can use the same Ielts result. Here is the timeline
Ielts passed July 2013 with 7.5 overall score
Tier 2 general visa and came to UK Feb, 2014 and she used the above ielts result.
Switched to Tier 2 dependent July 2014 while in UK and she had a valid tier 2 general visa at the time and since then she has been on tier 2 dependent visa. Her tier 2 dependent visa recently got renewed for 3 year which is valid till 2022. She will complete 5 years next year in July as a dependent.
Can she use the above IELTS score when applying for ILR?
Thank you all. I really appreciate any input.

drali444
United Kingdom

Post by drali444 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:13 pm

@vinny As per your post, this IELTS result though expired should be fine then, isnt it?
as this has previously been accepted by them as part of another immigration application, such as for entry clearance.
what do we think?

drali444
United Kingdom

English language requirement for ILR

Post by drali444 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:26 am

Hi Everyone.

I need to ask about the validity of IELTS result given in 2013 to be used for ILR application. The test is still on SELT list.

My wife came to UK on a Tier 2 general visa in Feb, 2014 and she used the above ielts result for the visa. Later she switched to my Tier 2 dependent from her tier 2 general visa in July 2014 while in UK and since then she has been on tier 2 dependent visa. Her tier 2 dependent visa recently got renewed for 3 year which is valid till 2022. She will complete 5 years next year in July as a dependent.
We plan to apply for her ILR this year. The question is whether she can use the same above IELTS score when applying for ILR which she used for own tier 2 general visa when she came to UK in 2014?

As per the KOLL document
''The English language test must have been taken no more than 2 years before the
date of application. However, tests that have been taken more than 2 years ago and
have since expired, can still be accepted where the qualification:
• is from one of the providers on the current SELT list
• has previously been accepted by us as part of another immigration application,
such as for entry clearance. A qualification that is not from one of the providers
on the current SELT list, is not acceptable even if previously accepted by us as
part of another application''

Thank you. I really appreciate any input.