ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Polish spouse and entry to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pencillin

Polish spouse and entry to UK

Post by pencillin » Fri May 23, 2008 11:36 am

Hello All
I remember a thread sometime ago that discussed this but couldn't find it:
My friend is a polish citizen and her husband is non-eu citizen, they live in Poland. Can they visit the UK without applying for a visit visa for her husband?

Any help would be appreciated as this is very urgent thing.

Cheers

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Fri May 23, 2008 11:44 am

I`m sure someone would soon mention the EC directive on the free movement on EU family members but the short answer to your question is no...

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 23, 2008 1:47 pm

21.4 - The EEA family permit wrote:Please note, if a family member who is travelling with, or is to join the EEA national in the UK requests a visit visa, you should offer him (or her) the option of applying for a family permit under EC law or a visa under the Immigration Rules.
See also Visiting the UK with 4EUFam card.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

pencillin

Post by pencillin » Sat May 31, 2008 12:39 am

Thank you for the replies.
So they need to apply for a family permit for him? what are the steps, is it easier/harder/faster than getting a normal visa? Can you post some links to threads that discuss getting family permits in details?

Many thanks

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat May 31, 2008 3:36 pm

pencillin wrote:Thank you for the replies.
So they need to apply for a family permit for him? what are the steps, is it easier/harder/faster than getting a normal visa? Can you post some links to threads that discuss getting family permits in details?

Many thanks
I can't see the EEA FP applies here, no treaty right is being exercised. The non-EU person needs to apply for a UK visit visit visa in accordance with the normal rules for their nationality.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

pencillin

Post by pencillin » Sat May 31, 2008 9:00 pm

You mean because she's no going to work in the UK and she's only visiting so that her husband can't benefit from family permit?

pencillin

Post by pencillin » Sat May 31, 2008 9:03 pm

If they show that she's self-sufficient person using bank statements would they still be unable to apply for family permit?

thsths
United Kingdom

Post by thsths » Sat May 31, 2008 9:42 pm

Wanderer wrote:I can't see the EEA FP applies here, no treaty right is being exercised. The non-EU person needs to apply for a UK visit visit visa in accordance with the normal rules for their nationality.
I thought treaty rights are only relevant for stays of more than 3 months. If in doubt, I would apply under the "self sufficient" category, which should be easy for a short stay.

Tom

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat May 31, 2008 9:52 pm

pencillin wrote:You mean because she's no going to work in the UK and she's only visiting so that her husband can't benefit from family permit?
No.

For visits it's a UK visit visa from the UK consulate in Poland.

If they were moving here to live it's a different story, and relatively painless.

Remember this; Family permit is designed for EU citz who cant use their home State immigration rules cos they dont live there anymore, and are not citz of their new State, so cannot use those.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....