ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

self assement Tax (owne tax to HM&revenue) can affect naturalization?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Mood:
United Kingdom

self assement Tax (owne tax to HM&revenue) can affect naturalization?

Post by avatar16 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Hi All;
i'm so worried about a letter which i got recently from HM & revevue on the same day i submited my application for naturalization. they told me on their letter that i have to do my self assesment within 3 month as still have more tax to pay for the last 3 years. that make me so worried about my application, i have no idea from where they got that because i was always an employee and my wok always detect my tax from my payslips. does that can affect my good character and affect my application? what i should do? should i call home office about that? or i should pay do self assesment those days while may application still going?

thanks

Springie
United Kingdom

Re: self assement Tax (owne tax to HM&revenue) can affect naturalization?

Post by Springie » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:33 pm

Hi Avatar16,

I had a similar situation.

I didn't know I had to pay some extra tax via self-assessment in 2014, so I paid it late in 2015. HMRC 'fined' me about £150 for the late tax return.

My citizenship application was approved this month and I'm now British, so that didn't affect my application. One of the reasons for that, I think, is the fact that the specific HMRC 'fine' applied to me isn't on the list of things the HO mention for good character, convictions, etc.

However, if you're on Tier 2 (which I wasn't), they might take a closer look at your taxes.

My advice would be to figure out what's going on first with tax, as it sounds like you were surprised by the request. Ask your employer to help, call the HMRC helpline (make sure you're not being scammed!) and only after all that, see if you still think you have anything to declare.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:24 pm

As long as you deal with the issues HMRC raise and comply with any payment arrangements there should be nothing to worry about. These things happen to many tax payers. Should HMRC take you to court that would be a different story.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by avatar16 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:49 am

Springie wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:33 pm
Hi Avatar16,

I had a similar situation.

I didn't know I had to pay some extra tax via self-assessment in 2014, so I paid it late in 2015. HMRC 'fined' me about £150 for the late tax return.

My citizenship application was approved this month and I'm now British, so that didn't affect my application. One of the reasons for that, I think, is the fact that the specific HMRC 'fine' applied to me isn't on the list of things the HO mention for good character, convictions, etc.

However, if you're on Tier 2 (which I wasn't), they might take a closer look at your taxes.

My advice would be to figure out what's going on first with tax, as it sounds like you were surprised by the request. Ask your employer to help, call the HMRC helpline (make sure you're not being scammed!) and only after all that, see if you still think you have anything to declare.
Thank you for your replay;
yes a already called them and they told me that after my request for my last 10 years of employment history they found that i need to pay more tax for 3 years and asked me to do that self assessment by 3 month from the date of the letters. and now i become so worried about that if it can affect my application. i still didn't do it yet , but i don't know if i have to submit my self assessment before i get any decision from HO or have to do it after that.
i wasn't a Tier 2, and never been as self employement as well

Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by avatar16 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:56 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:24 pm
As long as you deal with the issues HMRC raise and comply with any payment arrangements there should be nothing to worry about. These things happen to many tax payers. Should HMRC take you to court that would be a different story.
hi thanks for your reply. for my case they didn't take me to the court as i recently go a 3 letters from them and asked me to do submit my self assessment withing the next 3 month or it will be a fine for any delate

Springie
United Kingdom

Post by Springie » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 am

Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:49 am

yes a already called them and they told me that after my request for my last 10 years of employment history they found that i need to pay more tax for 3 years and asked me to do that self assessment by 3 month from the date of the letters. and now i become so worried about that if it can affect my application. i still didn't do it yet , but i don't know if i have to submit my self assessment before i get any decision from HO or have to do it after that.
The thing is, you will only know how much you actually owe and whether HMRC will 'fine' you for the debt after you complete the self-assessment.

Owing HMRC money by itself shouldn't affect your application if it's an accounting error or an honest mistake. If they decide to put a penalty on you, or if they state that you have deliberately not paid taxes, etc - that might affect your application. But even then, the small HMRC penalty didn't affect mine.

Did the person on the phone mention anything about a penalty?

Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by avatar16 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Springie wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 am
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:49 am

The thing is, you will only know how much you actually owe and whether HMRC will 'fine' you for the debt after you complete the self-assessment.

Owing HMRC money by itself shouldn't affect your application if it's an accounting error or an honest mistake. If they decide to put a penalty on you, or if they state that you have deliberately not paid taxes, etc - that might affect your application. But even then, the small HMRC penalty didn't affect mine.

Did the person on the phone mention anything about a penalty?
no he didn't he said only you can do it online fill up the form and submit it or by post within the next 3 months.

just a question about the naturalization how do you get the result about the approval or not? do you get it first by email or should waiting for the letter?
thx

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:43 pm

You receive the approval letter by second class mail (brown C5 envelope).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.