ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of status for spouse - appointment needed or not?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BabyJane
Newly Registered
Ireland

Change of status for spouse - appointment needed or not?

Post by BabyJane » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:27 pm

Hi everyone,

My question relates to change of status from stamp 3 to stamp 4. I was recently granted citizenship and was told that my spouse can now automatically get a stamp 4. However, I received conflicting replies from the deparment in this regard - one says we need to book an appointment via online booking system, and the other one says no, all we need to do is show up to the GNIB office. Has anyone had any experience with this?

Also, earlier the stamp 4 was granted for 5 years, is that still the case?

Thanks!

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Change of status for spouse - appointment needed or not?

Post by max307 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:14 pm

I would suggest to book an appointment just to avoid any issues or delays when you get there.

I don't think Stamp 4 were ever granted for 5 years to spouses of Irish citizen, back in the day they were granting 1 year first, then 2 years and then 2 years again but nowadays it could be different.

The immigration officer at the counter has the discretion of the time they grant the Stamp 4 for.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

BabyJane
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by BabyJane » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:02 pm

max307 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:14 pm
I would suggest to book an appointment just to avoid any issues or delays when you get there.

I don't think Stamp 4 were ever granted for 5 years to spouses of Irish citizen, back in the day they were granting 1 year first, then 2 years and then 2 years again but nowadays it could be different.

The immigration officer at the counter has the discretion of the time they grant the Stamp 4 for.
Hi,

thanks for your reply. I know for sure about 7 years ago they were granted for 5 years - my parents got them, myself and my siblings both got them for 5 years, that’s why I’m surprised to hear otherwise.

Thanks again

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:21 pm

BabyJane wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:02 pm
max307 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:14 pm

Hi,

thanks for your reply. I know for sure about 7 years ago they were granted for 5 years - my parents got them, myself and my siblings both got them for 5 years, that’s why I’m surprised to hear otherwise.

Thanks again
Stamp 4 based on the basis of marriage to an Irish citizen? Was one of your parents married to an Irish citizen?
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

BabyJane
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by BabyJane » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:22 pm

yes :)

I went down to Burgh Quay Office today and was told they give them for a period of 3-5 years

Gogreen81
India

Post by Gogreen81 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Booked an appointment in advance for today and have for stamp 4 showing my naturalization cert

BabyJane
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by BabyJane » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm

Gogreen81 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:23 pm
Booked an appointment in advance for today and have for stamp 4 showing my naturalization cert
why would you need a stamp 4 if you have now been naturalised? I’m confused

Gogreen81
India

Post by Gogreen81 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:08 pm

BabyJane wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm
Gogreen81 wrote:
For spouse not for me

Spire01
Mood:
Ireland

Post by Spire01 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:30 am

Gogreen81 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:08 pm
BabyJane wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm
Gogreen81 wrote:
For spouse not for me
Hi Gogreen81,
did you manage to get stamp4 for your spouse, can you share us your experience, was there any difficulty in getting the stamp?
Thanks in advance.

Regards.