ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in the UK: The final insult

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

heretic

Life in the UK: The final insult

Post by heretic » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:06 am

Well.................So I gave the exam.................took the centre 45 mins to register me................which included at least 8 ID checks and 4 mins to finish (and pass) the test.............

I am now certified - on my path to settlement......what ever that means.............

The staff at the Wimbledon library Exchange Group centre were very courteous...........

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Life in the UK: The final insult

Post by Christophe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:53 am

heretic wrote:The staff at the Wimbledon library Exchange Group centre were very courteous...........
Well that's good: we like courteous.

netacct

Post by netacct » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:19 pm

what do you mean by the subject "The final insult"
What is the insult here? Just confused...

heretic

Post by heretic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 am

Well - what do you think I mean by the title - I don't think it is that confusing.............

I feel - as an immigrant the HO treats us like ..........or should I just say does not treat us well. We have to pay through our nose for extensions and applications and as a final insult give an exams - don't know what they have achieved by making us sit a test............I look at it as one more hurdle.................who ever learned about "life" by reading a book; that to a book commissioned by the HO with a forward by Liam "Herr Flick" Byrne.......

It is just simply that I don't agree to this method and feel it is in bad taste. I would rather there be a scaled approach i.e. where a certain class of individuals be allowed to attend a group session where the book is discussed instead of them having to give an exam.........some should be exempt on the basis of......for e.g. their professional qualification or say the community work they do.........this test is a one size fits all - and it surely doesn't........

netacct

Post by netacct » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 am

Do you mean to say that UK forced you to come here for study/work, they have enslaved you, forcing you to stay here, live here, settle here, immigrate here?

or

Is it by your choice that you want to study/work/live/settle/immigrate here?

Its really ridiculous that so many people always just want an easy path/way to settlement and always complain about everything. Every country has their own rules/policies etc and they have the right to think what is best for them.

Immigration is a privilege and not right.

joe777

Post by joe777 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:51 am

heretic wrote:I feel - as an immigrant the HO treats us like ..........or should I just say does not treat us well. We have to pay through our nose for extensions and applications..
well how do you think i feel then, i'm british and in the last few years, i've had to pay nearly £3000 for visa's for my wife and kids, so they can live in the country i was born in andl lived all my life in :cry:

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:21 am

Well, don't forget to exercise your voting rights at the next election. And lots of non-British immigrants can exercise those rights too, since all Commonwealth citizens living in the UK are entitled to vote...

heretic

Post by heretic » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:25 am

netacct Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:44 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you mean to say that UK forced you to come here for study/work, they have enslaved you, forcing you to stay here, live here, settle here, immigrate here?
Last I checked UK also was a democracy with freedom of speech being one of the fundamental elements of "Life in the UK".............

As to what I mean with my title I have clearly explained in my post so please don't force your polarized view on me here.............Just because I chose to immigrate to the UK doesn't mean I don't have the right to complain if I feel the treatment is unfair............So please leave this "you choose it so suffer it" argument.............I am very much aware of a sovereign nations right to make laws that suit its requirement..........but saying that it doesn't mean that Me (as an immigrant) cant challenge, complain, criticise it just coz I chose to immigrate to the UK.

macaroni

Post by macaroni » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:55 pm

heretic wrote:Well - what do you think I mean by the title - I don't think it is that confusing.............

I feel - as an immigrant the HO treats us like ..........or should I just say does not treat us well. We have to pay through our nose for extensions and applications and as a final insult give an exams - don't know what they have achieved by making us sit a test............I look at it as one more hurdle.................who ever learned about "life" by reading a book; that to a book commissioned by the HO with a forward by Liam "Herr Flick" Byrne.......

It is just simply that I don't agree to this method and feel it is in bad taste. I would rather there be a scaled approach i.e. where a certain class of individuals be allowed to attend a group session where the book is discussed instead of them having to give an exam.........some should be exempt on the basis of......for e.g. their professional qualification or say the community work they do.........this test is a one size fits all - and it surely doesn't........
I found the test and the book to be farcical. Like a knee jerk reaction. The statistics didn't always add up in the book. The information was random.

I do not understand why people assume that if you are an immigrant you may not criticise or hold contempt for any government policy. I have no idea why an immigrants viewpoint is less meaningful than that of a native of that country.

How much does the average native of any country know and understand about their own country's history, politics, geography and demography? Learning is always welcome, but the way the book is written, it's like reading a phone directory. I think Britain has an extremely complex past. Some silly "immigration" book does not do it any justice.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Easy? probab;y but it is Difficult to say

Post by pantaiema » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:02 pm

The sort of question you might be asked: (this question appear on online practice test)
In 2001 what was the population of Pakistani descent?
a. 0.7 million
b. 0.6 million
c. 0.5 million
d. 0.4 million

Because the questions are randomly chosen by computer, you will never know what is going to be asked. So to ensure that you will be able to answer this sort of question on the real test correctly, you need to memorise all of figures (population, percentage, etc).

This is what is written in the Official book "life in the UK":

UK Population 2001

Million UK Population %
White 54.2 92
Mixed 0.7 1.2

Indian 1.1 1.8
Pakistani 0.7 1.3
Bangladeshi 0.3 0.5
Other Asian 0.2 0.4

Black Caribbean 0.6 1.0
Black African 0.5 0.8
Black other 0.1 0.2
Chinese 0.2 0.4
Other 0.2 0.4
Source: National Statistics from the 2001census

For 1 question that you anticipate to be asked during the test, you need to memorise 22 figures/number. In my opinion, this is not fun at all.

So, the test is not just about understanding but your memory is also tested . Where is the point to test such things ?. You remember today, you will forget it next week.

It will be different, if the questions is formulated, for instance:

What was the second largest ethnic group in the UK ?.

In my opinion, it is hard to say whether the test is difficult or easy.
It could be easy it could be hard, just depends on your luck.
Pantaiema

balajo
BANNED

Post by balajo » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:55 pm

It would be better to require the test at the beginning of the journey to citizenship not after you have been here for 3 to 5 years.

The stuff I read, well I knew, not knowing I knew. As I had figured that stuff out after having lived here and it would have been better to know upfront.

3crown

Post by 3crown » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:27 pm

who er missus, Are you sure you're on the right Forum Mr/Mrs Self-Righteous?
netacct wrote:Do you mean to say that UK forced you to come here for study/work, they have enslaved you, forcing you to stay here, live here, settle here, immigrate here?

or

Its really ridiculous that so many people always just want an easy path/way to settlement and always complain about everything. Every country has their own rules/policies etc and they have the right to think what is best for them.

Siggi

Post by Siggi » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:33 pm

3Crown wrote:

Excuse me 3crown Newbie, are you on the right Forum, butting in on your first blogg.

Please respect netacct opinon!

3crown

Post by 3crown » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:37 pm

weird ... happy blogging...
Siggi wrote:3Crown wrote:

Excuse me 3crown Newbie, are you on the right Forum, butting in on your first blogg.

goldfish
Member of Standing

Post by goldfish » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:41 pm

netacct wrote:Do you mean to say that UK forced you to come here for study/work, they have enslaved you, forcing you to stay here, live here, settle here, immigrate here?

or

And every goverment also has the right to set the policies it chooses for its own citizens - taxation, road rules, parking fines, VAT, etc. I'm sure you never make any complaint about policies that apply to you... After all, you have the right to emigrate.

heretic

Post by heretic » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:44 pm

goldfish Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:41 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

netacct wrote:

or

And every government also has the right to set the policies it chooses for its own citizens - taxation, road rules, parking fines, VAT, etc. I'm sure you never make any complaint about policies that apply to you... After all, you have the right to emigrate.
lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

Siggi Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:33 pm Post subject:

3Crown wrote:

Although I believe in respecting a persons opinion - I don't believe 'netacct' has given us an opinion at all.........what he/she/it (netacct net accounts - for which organisation?) has shared with us sound more like right wing claptrap....essentially not a reply to the points I made in my first reply to him/her.............

netacct

Post by netacct » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:48 pm

There is a difference between constructive criticism and just complaining about everything. You can criticize about the quality of questions asked, test pattern etc. but most of the people just start complaining/criticizing about everything if they feel that its going make their right to stay bit difficult.
Whats wrong if you have to pay for your applications, take test etc...
Otherwise, given a choice, billions would want to immigrate...

Are all asylum seeks genuine?
Are all marriages genuine?
Are all people who live off benefit are genuine?
Are all students here for study?
etc etc etc

We don't live in perfect world. There are people who follow rules and there are people who exploit the systems for their own benefit. When immigrations is getting out of control, more and more fraud cases emerge, too much local opposition etc etc its fair if HO is getting more and more tough and strict. After all, there is no magic to identify who is genuine and who is not and they have see what is best in their national interest.

Btw, I am from India on HSMP and ILR rule change from 4 to 5 years has affected my chances as well. But, if consider myself to be unbiased/neutral/impartial, then I still think UK is doing the right thing by being tough on immigrants.

We humans always talk about our rights but what about duty and responsibility?

heretic

Post by heretic » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:01 pm

Well then you should understand the point I made..........that one size fits all does not work...............even though there is no magic to weed out fraud or more like people who abuse the system.............bullying is not something that works..........which is what the HO seems to be doing more often than not..............

And whats wrong in complaining about the Test..........If we feel it is a disgraceful, distasteful and not up to the mark.........and we are forced to oblige with. If I was asked to do this test when I came to the UK I would have been grateful - not now...........I am quite certain I am competent enough to live in the UK with or without Herr Flicks approval...................

netacct

Post by netacct » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:10 pm

Change is the most inevitable ting.
Rules/policies/process keep changing with time as we progress.
Change is the most constant thing. :lol:

heretic

Post by heretic » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:27 pm

netacct wrote:Change is the most inevitable ting.
Rules/policies/process keep changing with time as we progress.
Change is the most constant thing. :lol:
wat's ur point!..... :? :?

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:04 pm

Two other countries that require a test are Australia and Canada. Both provide the tests FREE of cost, and even offer FREE prep classes.
Of course, you can argue that each country decides its own way, but at least based on this comparison, the UK's test is deeply flawed.
And I am not even talking about the poor quality of the test.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:34 pm

The test is a joke and it is just to appease the masses that the "right" kind of people are immigrating to the UK but the test is not as pathetic as the community service requirement they are thinking of implementing. That would be the biggest insult to have to fulfill that requirement

heretic

Post by heretic » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:48 pm

republique wrote:The test is a joke and it is just to appease the masses that the "right" kind of people are immigrating to the UK but the test is not as pathetic as the community service requirement they are thinking of implementing. That would be the biggest insult to have to fulfill that requirement
I know..............the policy is quite confusing..........on the one hand they accept economic migration and on the other they ask "to contribute to the community"............isn't paying tax enough.............not having claimed any benefit for 5 - 10 years at least + being of a age group that contributes more than it takes in the form of benefit (medical / education etc)........now you also have to do community service....!!!!

personally I am not against doing community service..........i myself do a bit of voluntary work already but having to do it for the Ho's satisfaction - I dont feel up to it!

netacct

Post by netacct » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:14 pm

Well, there is a difference between making a contribution by default and volunteering to make it.

We work because we need money and we are paid for it.
We pay tax, because everyone pays tax and on one can escape it.
We don't claim benefit because either we are not eligible or make more money if we work.
etc etc etc

There is a difference between making a positive contribution and no contribution at all.

I would say, majority of the people make no contributions and they are just normal.

I would say, someone who is doing community work or similar thing, going out the way, is making a some contribution.

I would say, guys who can work but prefer to live off benefit system are doing Negative contribution to the society.

and the argument goes on.

Countries like USA, Canada, NZ, Aus are country of immigrants and they control it (sorry for native people who had to suffer a lot but blame Britisher for that who colonized them)

Even thought there are lot of immigrants in UK, it is not a country of immigrants. it is still a country of Britishers.

Different thing work differently at different level.

Poundland has got different price and John Lewis has got different price.
You choose where you want to go.

Rules/Policy etc keep changing with time and requirements.

Don't we keep changing jobs?

Things were differ 4 years back, they are different now and will be different in next 5 years.
:D

William Blake
Member of Standing

Post by William Blake » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:44 am

or

Being a human being is a right. Because someone happens to be an immigrant does not mean you can try and do any old thing to them. It does not mean you are allowed to exploit them. Thank EU for teaching the Brtitish about human rights.

I listened to a government minister the other day talking about raising application fees so they can fund the under priviledged classes in Britain. Well, that says a lot. If you are content to be blatantly and overtly exploited then be my guest.

Sounds to me like you don't know the realities on the ground - insulated in the bubble of your HSMP success. You know Britain was built by the forefathers of many immigrants and on the exploitation of forced unpaid labour and the exploitation continues til today. And yes it is a country of immigrants.

You sure you on HSMP ? Highly skilled ? Well I think you need to go take that life in the UK test urgently. You need it so you can become a Britisher too. And learn about the true realities and meaning and context of immigration to the UK. Hope we won't see you posting anything like 'HO refused my application because of gap' when your time comes.

I agree with the author of the post that the test is an insult. And in reality no one believes it is a real test to assess knowledge it is just another obstacle to reduce the number of immigrants. It is one thing to make immigration adjustments it is another to try and veil immigration control as an assessment and interest in our well being. Just another way to make some more money for Home Office really.

But come on guys we won't let anything stop us or discourage us. Even those who side with our oppressors. We gonna fight the good fight. And at the end of all this testing, hard work, paying into the pool of Britain, those of us who identify with the immigrant experience and know the realities of being an immigrant to this country we will each be able to say:

Now I feel that this heart, of mine has taken many falls,
Still sometimes the rain, can turn into a waterfall,
The prettiest things, can come out of the coldest night, yeah,
And even with broken wings, sometimes you find your way to fly,

It's time to be, bigger bigger, stronger stronger, harder harder,
It's time to be, bigger bigger, stronger stronger, harder harder,
It's time to be,

Now I feel that this soul, of mine has had its many tolls, yeah,
Still sometimes the pain, is what we need for us to grow, yeah,
So when it's time for me, to look into my deeper side,
I will, I will find a way, to hold onto the love inside,

It's time to be, bigger bigger, stronger stronger, harder harder