ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Kids born in UK - do I need to apply for ILR?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kal79
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Kids born in UK - do I need to apply for ILR?

Post by Kal79 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:46 pm

Please could you tell me in case of children born in Europe and one parent has got ILR. Can we apply for kids citizenship directly? ? Any way to become eligible for kids citizenship?
Would be grateful if can suggest something as it will huge money involved.

Kal79
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Child born in Europe for settled person is eligible for british citizenship

Post by Kal79 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:15 pm

Please could you tell me in case of children born in Europe and one parent has got ILR. Can we apply for kids citizenship directly? ? Any way to become eligible for kids citizenship withnone parent having ILR?
Would be grateful if can suggest something as it will huge money involved.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Kids born in UK - do I need to apply for ILR?

Post by zimba » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 pm

If the child was born outside the UK, then once one parent applies for naturalisation, the child can apply for Registration under section 3(1) without ILR. The is application at discretion and the HO would expect the other parent to hold (or to be close to holding) a ILR/PR status.
For the guidelines on Registration at discretion see section 9.17.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

secret.simon

Re: Child born outside the uk for settled person is eligible for british citizenship

Post by secret.simon » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:55 am

Kal79 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:15 pm
Can we apply for kids citizenship directly?
Applications for such children (born abroad) is an application at discretion, not an entitlement/right.

The children are expected to have ILR, along with both parents and it is expected that at least one parent is or is applying to become a British parent. Such expectation can be set aside, and the child can be registered if you can make a compelling case.

I remember one case where a child was registered without ILR, because everybody else in his family but the child (both parents and all siblings) were already British citizens.

Saving money is not a valid reason in this context.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.