ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can children obtain passports before their parents?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Madibaba
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Can children obtain passports before their parents?

Post by Madibaba » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Okay. This is the scenario of what I've been told by my friend - but it just all seems too easy.

Family (Father/mother/2 children) are currently in the UK on Ancestral visas. The Father (main applicant - paternal MOTHER) is a British Citizen. They are here on Ancestral visas (as dad never applied for his British Citizenship from his mom's side)

Now. My friend are INSISTING that she can apply for British Passports for her minor Children (whilst they are all on Ancestral visas) after 3 years because of the fact that the Dad/grandmoms side and they will "just get it"...

I disagree with her (and this is putting a lot of strain on our friendship!)

I might be wrong, but as I understand it BECAUSE the dad is still South African on a (Ancestral Workpermit) and the children are minors (9&7) the possibility of the children being issued a British Passport if their own paternal parents are currently in the UK on "work permits" as South African Passport holders are grasping at straws.

Grandma - British
Father - South African
Children - South African

If they can all stay and MEET the requirements after 5 years to obtain ILR - then they all can go through the Naturalisation process to become British Citizens after being on ILR for 12 months.

IF the dad would have claimed his citizenship - and applied for a spousal visa for his wife and two other dependents then possibly the children could have been issued with British passports earlier (due to his right). But not on the current route (Ancestral) that they are on now.

This is so frustrating to me as we are forever arguing about it and it just annoys me when people think that "you just get a passport". There are hoops to jump and requirements to be met. You just don't GET it!

Any light would help. As I do want to point her into the right direction about understanding the process to follow - or If I am in the wrong, then I would most certainly tell her - YES - you go girl! You go and GET those passports for your children

vinny

Re: Can children obtain passports before their parents?

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:21 pm

I think you are right. if neither parent is British, then their children are not as well.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

KasMac
South Africa

Re: Can children obtain passports before their parents?

Post by KasMac » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:31 pm

the children wont just get it , 3 year continuous residence applied to children who's parent already hold British by descent status and in his case is his there on Ancestral visa , if he pursues his citizenship now his wife and kids would have to re-apply for new visas ( spousal+child settlement)and their clock to ILR would reset , Family has to complete 5 years to ILR followed by Naturalisation , when kids and wife apply for ILR he can apply for British Citizenship using UKM form