ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Joint account requirement for partners

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

np_7777
Newly Registered
India

Joint account requirement for partners

Post by np_7777 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:40 am

I along with another colleague plan to apply for Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa.

We have arranged for £200k funds, have a business plan and both of us have 20+ years of relevant experience with strong senior management experience.

Have the following questions :-

1. Do the funds need to be in a joint Bank account between myself and my partner ONLY? Currently we have the funds in our individual accounts,

2. Do we need to mandatorily hold the funds for 90 consecutive calendar days OR will it suffice if we provide supporting for source of funds and apply earlier ?

Thanks in Advance

marcnath
United Kingdom

Re: Joint account requirement for partners

Post by marcnath » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:59 pm

np_7777 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:40 am
I along with another colleague plan to apply for Tier 1 Entrepreneur visa.

We have arranged for £200k funds, have a business plan and both of us have 20+ years of relevant experience with strong senior management experience.

Have the following questions :-

1. Do the funds need to be in a joint Bank account between myself and my partner ONLY? Currently we have the funds in our individual accounts,

2. Do we need to mandatorily hold the funds for 90 consecutive calendar days OR will it suffice if we provide supporting for source of funds and apply earlier ?

Thanks in Advance
1. No, individual accounts is fine
2. Yes, you need to. Alternatively, you can set up the company, transfer the money to the business and show the evidence for money already invested.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

bajo85
Mood:
Sri Lanka

Post by bajo85 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:33 pm

Sorry @Marcnath I don’t think individual accounts are acceptable. For team application, team members are required to have equal level of control on funds which is only possible if the team members have a joint bank account.

Cheers

shakebassri
Newly Registered
India

Post by shakebassri » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:38 am

Thanks@Marcnath & @bajo85. We have the same issue we have 200K funds in individual account (100K each) but we didnot go for "joint account" and is also difficult as we are in 2 different country currently. Has anyone got accepted in Team ENT without joint account ? Thanks for reply/ suggestion, will be very valuable for us.

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 am

bajo85 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:33 pm
Sorry @Marcnath I don’t think individual accounts are acceptable. For team application, team members are required to have equal level of control on funds which is only possible if the team members have a joint bank account.

Cheers
That is an interesting interpretation and I can see why you may think that.

There are other sections where it is clear the team members can depend up on each other's funds, so I don't believe the intention of that clause was that the money has to be in a joint account.

Unless someone has an example that HO is doing such a strong interpretation, I would believe that it is can be in individual accoounts.
My comments are in no way meant to be advisory. I have no professional knowledge of immigration. These are based on my own experience, convictions and personal interpretation of publicly available information.

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:28 am

shakebassri wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:38 am
Thanks@Marcnath & @bajo85. We have the same issue we have 200K funds in individual account (100K each) but we didnot go for "joint account" and is also difficult as we are in 2 different country currently. Has anyone got accepted in Team ENT without joint account ? Thanks for reply/ suggestion, will be very valuable for us.
I don't recall anyone here posting specifically that they had kept money in joint accounts. However, there was at least one case where the team members claimed investment and employment points from entirely separate businesses. That seems to have been an extreme or just pure luck as it is clearly not in line with the rules. But, as I posted earlier, because other parts of the immigration rules allow you to use each other's funds, I consider it would be safe to use personal accounts.

bajo85
Mood:
Sri Lanka

Post by bajo85 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 am

marcnath wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:42 am
bajo85 wrote:

Cheers

There are other sections where it is clear the team members can depend up on each other's funds, so I don't believe the intention of that clause was that the money has to be in a joint account.

Unless someone has an example that HO is doing such a strong interpretation, I would believe that it is can be in individual accoounts.

Dear @Marcnath, I said that on the basis of my personal experience. We 2 friends had 28k each in our personal accounts and got a signed “statotry declaration” attested by Solicitor, stating that we have more than 50k in our accounts and that we have formed team to invest this sum in our business. But Home Office refused us by saying that though we both team members had funds but we didn’t have equal level of control on those funds. Then we re-applied after opening a joint bank account and eventually got successful.

So I advise not to take a chance and must consult the paragraph “Money held by you” on page 14 of Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Policy Guidance – version 0 7 /2018 –

The following is the pertinent part of the paragraph to your question

(2) The account must be in your own name only (or both names for an entrepreneurial team or where it is a joint account with your spouse, civil partner or partner), not in the name of a business or third party.

and please remember 1 thing, submit “specified documents” only not what you think are equivalent of the required docs

I hope it’ll help

Thank You

marcnath
United Kingdom

Post by marcnath » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:17 am

bajo85 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 am
marcnath wrote:
bajo85 wrote:

Cheers

Dear @Marcnath, I said that on the basis of my personal experience. We 2 friends had 28k each in our personal accounts and got a signed “statotry declaration” attested by Solicitor, stating that we have more than 50k in our accounts and that we have formed team to invest this sum in our business. But Home Office refused us by saying that though we both team members had funds but we didn’t have equal level of control on those funds. Then we re-applied after opening a joint bank account and eventually got successful.

So I advise not to take a chance and must consult the paragraph “Money held by you” on page 14 of Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Policy Guidance – version 0 7 /2018 –

(2) The account must be in your own name only (or both names for an entrepreneurial team or where it is a joint account with your spouse, civil partner or partner), not in the name of a business or third party.

and please remember 1 thing, submit “specified documents” only not what you think are equivalent of the required docs

I hope it’ll help

Thank You
Thanks and that's valuable. Clearly HO has been tightening that.

I still believe even the clause you quoted can be argued that they need to accept individual accounts but I totally agree that it is not worth the effort - better to have a joint account.

Did you then have to wait 90 days for the joint account ?

bajo85
Mood:
Sri Lanka

Post by bajo85 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:28 am

marcnath wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:17 am
bajo85 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:00 am
marcnath wrote:
bajo85 wrote:

Cheers

I hope it’ll help

Thank You
Thanks and that's valuable. Clearly HO has been tightening that.

I still believe even the clause you quoted can be argued that they need to accept individual accounts but I totally agree that it is not worth the effort - better to have a joint account.

Did you then have to wait 90 days for the joint account ?

No Sir! There was No 90 days requirement then.

I’ll share you photo of the refusal part tonight ...

np_7777
Newly Registered
India

Post by np_7777 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:44 pm

Thanks everyone for your response. This is really helpful.