ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Estimating Take-Home Pay

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

JackPot
Newly Registered

Estimating Take-Home Pay

Post by JackPot » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:57 am

Other outside-of-UK HSMP applicants might also have experienced unwillingness of employment agencies to indicate whether one would qualify for specific UK job opportunities. I would expect employment agencies to be more willing to respond once one can indicate possession of an EC for the UK.

So it is quite tricky to estimate expected expenditures and resultant take-home pay before having EC, when looking at possible employment opportunities and associated salaries (that is, to determine if it is worthwhile applying for HSMP).

Is there a website or FAQ somewhere where one can check out typical expenditures once employed in the UK. Something like:

Income Tax = X% of gross monthly salary
Accommodation = Y% of gms
Private Healthcare (optional) = Z% of gms
Typical monthly groceries bill...
Typical monthly transport bill...
Gas, council taxes, fuel, mail, TV license, cable, satellite, cellphone, phone etc...

So I wish to arrive at a monthly salary rate which I would consider to be worth the effort.

MunneRaja

Post by MunneRaja » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:39 am

Check this site

This will give you the salary estmate after deducting Income tax in UK

http://www.i-resign.com/uk/financialcen ... ulator.asp

Rest everything depends on how much do you wanna spend.

MunneRaja

Post by MunneRaja » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:41 am

Council tax approximately = £70
TV License - £12
BT (Phone) minimum rental - £10.50
Broadband - £18

zeke

Post by zeke » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:14 pm

MunneRaja,

The link you have posted is helpful, very much so.

Thank you. It is just what I have been looking for!
Be Well!

zeke

Post by zeke » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:22 pm

JackPot,

see my post at

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 7155#17155

for some other useful links.
Be Well!

Amit T
Newly Registered

Post by Amit T » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi all there,

I am interested to know what all kind of taxes we shall likely be paying for the first year? Are we as an immigrant, wanted to settle there, given any relaxation to taxes? I think This aspect is very important bec. more we have liquidity, the more will be stabillity. Also Does govt. will support us in any health insurance etc.

Thanks in advance.

hk_007

Post by hk_007 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:35 pm

Depending on the income one will have to pay income tax and national insurance (made up of health insurance and state pension). Additionally, one will have to pay council tax depending on the property you live in and water and sewerage charges. A car will attract road tax and drive around London and you will be hit with congestion charge!! And of course VAT @17.5% is added onto most things.

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:50 pm

Perhaps this will help you:

http://www.listentotaxman.com/

It's just for payroll taxes, so you still have to figure out council tax, and of course VAT.

Amit T
Newly Registered

Post by Amit T » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:03 pm

Lynn,

That site is a good way to know how much money will be shaded in IT.

after having Govt. health insurance do we get benefits on medical expenses? do we still need to take other medical insurances?

I just calculated..

For a gross income of say 25K, we endup paying @20% tax and thus the net in-hand amt would be @ 20K. I find from this forum that monthly expenses comes to abt 1600 UKP for a couple - adding upto abt 19k.

Then where is the savings?

baskey

Post by baskey » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:15 pm

Amit T wrote:Lynn,

Yes u r right. With single income with net pay of 20K hardly people can save here. They can just lead a normal life of 2 bed room house with a second hand car. If one wants to save really do lots of compromise in living conditions like shared room, using public transport, restricted phone calls, cooking meals in the home all the time, no hotel/ bar,no visit to native for first 2 years etc...

But in long term people may get into 40K range, partner start working, investment in the mortgage and if house price goes up etc... one could see some saving..

Regards,

Baskey

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:00 am

Amit T wrote:Lynn,

I just calculated..

For a gross income of say 25K, we endup paying @20% tax and thus the net in-hand amt would be @ 20K. I find from this forum that monthly expenses comes to abt 1600 UKP for a couple - adding upto abt 19k.

Your expenses figure of £1600 per month seems to be a bit high. mind you a lot will also depend on where you are living, e.g location wise in terms of city or town, area in that town, proximity to work (important for transport cost), and general lifestyle. i guess as well with both partners working it will really make a huge difference as the other partner's saving can almost all go to your savings