ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Green Card / Work permit

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lemon_Jelly
Newly Registered

Green Card / Work permit

Post by Lemon_Jelly » Thu May 29, 2008 3:53 pm

Hi,

My g/f who is a new Zealand citizen on a working holiday visa has just had a work permit application rejected based on the fact that she is still living in Ireland on this visa.

From reading around it looks like the best thing to do is leave Ireland after visa expires and then apply for green card.

Will it make any difference the fact that she was already rejected?

Is there anyway to end holiday visa prematurely (i.e if perhaps leaving country early and applying from abroad.)

Any assistance much appreciated.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu May 29, 2008 4:12 pm

You'll be pleased to know that the same thing happened to me (New Zealander - green card rejected because of being on a working holiday visa). I left Ireland (went to another EU country) and was granted.

I personally waited until my visa expired to reapply. I think the only problem might be having double authority to work, but I'm not entirely sure. It's a tough one because from my experience, there are 3 different departments (possibly more) that have a say in immigration, and guess what, they usually contradict each other.

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Thu May 29, 2008 4:56 pm

esharknz wrote:You'll be pleased to know that the same thing happened to me (New Zealander - green card rejected because of being on a working holiday visa). I left Ireland (went to another EU country) and was granted.

I personally waited until my visa expired to reapply. I think the only problem might be having double authority to work, but I'm not entirely sure. It's a tough one because from my experience, there are 3 different departments (possibly more) that have a say in immigration, and guess what, they usually contradict each other.
there is only one department responsible for work permit and green card. it is department of enterprise and no one else. they dont due with immigration. the immigration stuff is dept of justice. since new zealand passport holder doesnt need visitor visa to come into the ireland, so you can skip the dept of foreign affairs!

Lemon_Jelly
Newly Registered

Post by Lemon_Jelly » Thu May 29, 2008 5:29 pm

esharknz wrote:You'll be pleased to know that the same thing happened to me (New Zealander - green card rejected because of being on a working holiday visa). I left Ireland (went to another EU country) and was granted.

Thanks for that.

thats looking like best way forward. how long did your application take?

mktsoi
Member of Standing

Post by mktsoi » Thu May 29, 2008 5:37 pm

Lemon_Jelly wrote:

Thanks for that.

if you have read some of the post in this forum. you should know how it works by now. if you know people up there. you can have you application approve in 30 mins. if you dont know anyone. the dept of enterprise will tell you that the standard answer 4 to 6 weeks, providing that if you are luck that those idiot up in the dept of enterprise doesnt lose your application in their own office.

Lemon_Jelly
Newly Registered

Post by Lemon_Jelly » Thu May 29, 2008 6:30 pm

mktsoi wrote:
Lemon_Jelly wrote:

Thanks for that.

if you have read some of the post in this forum. you should know how it works by now. if you know people up there. you can have you application approve in 30 mins. if you dont know anyone. the dept of enterprise will tell you that the standard answer 4 to 6 weeks, providing that if you are luck that those idiot up in the dept of enterprise doesnt lose your application in their own office.
didnt get a chance to have a good dig around but much appreciate the input mktsio

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Thu May 29, 2008 8:28 pm

mktsoi wrote:

there is only one department responsible for work permit and green card. it is department of enterprise and no one else. they dont due with immigration. the immigration stuff is dept of justice. since new zealand passport holder doesnt need visitor visa to come into the ireland, so you can skip the dept of foreign affairs!
Yes,
but you need to deal with other departments i.e. the GNIB in particular when going in with a green card / work permit. I recall getting a lot of hassle when I went in with my green card as it was assumed that I had applied within the country while my working holiday was still valid and had been granted a green card. This took some explaining

My point is that it is possible that you could run into problems with the GNIB if the working holiday visa is still current despite having left the country in order to get a work permit/green card. One department will tell you one thing, another will tell you something else.

My application took 6 weeks from receipt at the department to receiving the green card in my hand in Copenhagen. There was a minor glitch in the wording of my job offer (mentioned a contract and they wanted a signed copy of this) so this extended the process by a week or two

Lemon_Jelly
Newly Registered

Post by Lemon_Jelly » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:45 pm

esharknz wrote:
mktsoi wrote:

Yes,
but you need to deal with other departments i.e. the GNIB in particular when going in with a green card / work permit. I recall getting a lot of hassle when I went in with my green card as it was assumed that I had applied within the country while my working holiday was still valid and had been granted a green card. This took some explaining

My point is that it is possible that you could run into problems with the GNIB if the working holiday visa is still current despite having left the country in order to get a work permit/green card. One department will tell you one thing, another will tell you something else.

My application took 6 weeks from receipt at the department to receiving the green card in my hand in Copenhagen. There was a minor glitch in the wording of my job offer (mentioned a contract and they wanted a signed copy of this) so this extended the process by a week or two
Hi esharknz. Thanks for that. One last question for you if thats ok. Did you have to quit your job, issue you with a p45 and then get rehired
?

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:44 pm

Hi there,

yes, my employer ended up issuing me with a P45 then rehiring me just to keep all paper work in order.

I'm still not sure about the answer to whether you'll run into problems when applying from overseas when there is a valid working holiday visa, but even I ran into problems with an expired one (more than a couple of months expired too) at the GNIB. Although I think the person who does this at the Wicklow garda station was a bit grumpy that day.

It's a pity because a couple of years ago the working holiday visa wasn't such an issue when it came to converting to a work permit/green card. Now it requires a trip out of the country for an unknown period of time. Of course the irish do not have this problem if they are in the same situation in Australia and New Zealand.