ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Military Service & US Citizenship

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Lev Kobrin
Newly Registered

Military Service & US Citizenship

Post by Lev Kobrin » Fri May 23, 2008 10:48 am

U.S. Citizenship through Military Service
May 16, 2008
Members and certain veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces are eligible to apply for United States citizenship under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). In addition, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) have streamlined the application and naturalization process for military personnel and those who recently discharged. Generally, the qualifying service for the U.S. Citizenship is in one of the following branches: Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard, certain reserve components of the National Guard and the Selected Reserve of the Ready Reserve.

Qualifications

As per USCIS to qualify for the U.S. Citizenship, a member of the U.S. Armed Forces must meet certain requirements. This includes demonstrating:
• Good moral character;
• Knowledge of the English language;
• Knowledge of U.S. government and history (civics); and
• Attachment to the United States by taking an Oath of Allegiance to the U.S. Constitution.
The members of the U.S. Armed Forces who qualify and meet all the requirements for the U.S. Citizenship are exempted from other naturalization requirements, including residency and physical presence in the United States. These exceptions are listed in Sections 328 and 329 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

All aspects of the naturalization process, including applications, interviews and ceremonies are available overseas to members of the U.S. Armed Forces.

An individual who obtains U.S. citizenship through his or her military service and separates from the military under “other than honorable conditionsâ€

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:44 am

I thought one have to be a US Citizen in order to join the US military? At one time, I searched for position in Air Force and US Army and every single one requires citizenship.

Lev Kobrin
Newly Registered

Post by Lev Kobrin » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:00 am

Sometimes, a green card is enough for military service.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:03 am

Lev Kobrin wrote:Sometimes, a green card is enough for military service.
Can you elaborate? Which position and when (you said "Sometimes") can a green card holder join the Army? I understand certain position that requires Top Clearance requires citizenship, but when I search for military position AND stopped by in my local army recruiter, they said I must be a US citizens OR have my citizenship in process. That is, I have pass my 5 years mark and the paperwork is in progress.

oldmedic
Newly Registered

Post by oldmedic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:41 am

Infantry, and other "non-skilled" jobs are open to non citizens. Only occupations that require some degree of a security clearance are totally closed.

I personally served with many aliens (in the legal sense) during my 10 years in the Army from 1959-1969.

I still know of several legal aliens that are serving.

BUT, be aware, that you will mostly likely be sent into a combat zone if you choose that method. If you desert, or do not serve honorably, you have forfieted your chance at getting Citizenship.