ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student for ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AliAla

Student for ILR

Post by AliAla » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi

One of my friend got admission in one of UK’s university, he just wanted to know the path to ILR going forward. Time when he will start his work would be considered only for way to ILR OR time he will spend as student could be included as well.

Thanks,
Ali

vinny

Re: Student for ILR

Post by vinny » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:11 pm

A student may qualify for ILR only under Long residence.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

AliAla

Post by AliAla » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks Vinny for your reply.
So long residency is the only option he left with even though he start working after 3 years of his study?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 am

AliAla wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 am
Thanks Vinny for your reply.
So long residency is the only option he left with even though he start working after 3 years of his study?
Yes, or 5 years on a work visa.

Student visas no longer lead to ILR based on 5 years residence. Only counts for long residence ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AliAla

Route to PR for student

Post by AliAla » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:46 pm

Apologies if I am writing my query under the wrong section.
One of my friend got a chance to pursue his PhD in UK, he just wanted to know route for PR if he take it forward. I believe time to spend in UK as student will count as well.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Route to PR for student

Post by zimba » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:18 am

What is his nationality ? PR is only granted to EEA citizens.
ILR is granted to non-EEA citizens but a student visa does NOT lead to settlement (ILR) in the UK unless your friend manages to stay legally and continuously here for min of 10 years to be eligible for ILR under long residence (assuming current rules do not change by then)
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Route to PR for student

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:28 am

AliAla wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:46 pm
Apologies if I am writing my query under the wrong section.
One of my friend got a chance to pursue his PhD in UK, he just wanted to know route for PR if he take it forward. I believe time to spend in UK as student will count as well.
Topics merged!!

If you current query is for the same "friend", the answers and rules have not changed since you asked the same question in February!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AliAla

Post by AliAla » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, someone told a different story to my friend I believe.