ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student Visas and dependents

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Bambino-fred
Newly Registered

Student Visas and dependents

Post by Bambino-fred » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:33 pm

My lady friend is considering applying for a UK student visa. She has a 12 year-old daughter who would come with her.
Can you give me pointers as to what people usually do in this sort of situation as the student visa does not cover dependents ? If there is already another thread on this, please advise....

thanks for any tips and advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Student Visas and dependents

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:56 pm

Is this the same fiance with a child you were asking about fiance visa last year??

immigration-for-family-members/visa-fee ... l#p1548750

Or spouse visa query in February this year?

immigration-for-family-members/applicat ... l#p1602596
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bambino-fred
Newly Registered

Post by Bambino-fred » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:25 pm

yes.....my previous queries were related to the same relationship....but the answers you referred to relate to different queries ...so this time I am trying to find out what others have done or usually do in the situation i described in my first post without annoying the powers that be who were put on this earth to bring me misery and financial ruin

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:39 pm

A student visa does allow dependents, depending on what course she is doing etc.

Does she have evidence of sole responsibility for the child??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Bambino-fred
Newly Registered

Post by Bambino-fred » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Does she have evidence of sole responsibility for the child??

Not sure what evidence would be considered sufficient...maybe you can specify ?...are you thinking of some sort of legal document ?....bear in mind she never married the father of the child and he has not supported the child in any way

I was under the impression that a student visa does not include dependents and that for dependents a separate application has to be made...i thought I did read that on a government site..

thanks

Bambino-fred
Newly Registered

Post by Bambino-fred » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:28 pm

if you go to this page on short term study visas...

https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa

it says

You cannot:

bring family members (‘dependents’) with you - they must apply separately

do you know what is meant specifically by 'they must apply separately' ?

....thanks...this could be the key to unlock my difficult situation if the powers that be are kept happy

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Bambino-fred wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:33 pm
My lady friend is considering applying for a UK student visa.
You did not state in your opening post that it was a short term student visa!! Applying separately means applying for a child student visa, with a sponsor and accepted for a place at an Independent (Private) school not a state school.

You should note that she also cannot 'switch' to a partner visa within the UK if she has a short term study visa valid for 6 months or less as it is a student visit visa and switching is not permitted when on any form of visit visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Bambino-fred
Newly Registered

Post by Bambino-fred » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 pm

I need confirmation of something else please....I read in one of the guidance notes produced by the Evil Office...sorry the Home Office....that if you want to get a student visa and study on an English course it must be at least at level B2 and not levels below B2...is that correct based on your knowledge ?

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:54 pm

Bambino-fred wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:42 pm
I read in one of the guidance notes produced by the Evil Office...sorry the Home Office....that if you want to get a student visa and study on an English course it must be at least at level B2 and not levels below B2...is that correct based on your knowledge ?
See https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/ ... of-english
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Bambino-fred
Newly Registered

Post by Bambino-fred » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:36 pm

if the child comes on a CHILD STUDENT VISA we have to do the things you mentioned in your post

but are we able to apply for a dependent visa for the child that would be used in combination with the mother's student visa ?

if the answer to that is no, then are we able to apply for a visitor visa for the child alongside the application for the mother's student visa ?

thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by sah10406 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:45 am

Bambino-fred wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:36 pm
are we able to apply for a dependent visa for the child that would be used in combination with the mother's student visa ?
It depends on the type of sponsor institution, the level of course, and the length of course.

To check this, you can refer her to UKCISA's detailed guide to this matter, and to other aspects of a Tier 4 dependant application:

https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information-- ... Dependants

Plus, most Tier 4 sponsor institutions offer their students advice on visa application, and this normally extends to their dependants. She can get one-to-one advice from them.

Note that if her type of sponsor and course does allow Tier 4 dependants, the child needs to meet all the requirements, including paragraph 319H(f):

(f) Both of the applicant’s parents must either be lawfully present (other than as a visitor) in the UK, or being granted entry clearance or leave to remain (other than as a visitor) at the same time as the applicant or one parent must be lawfully present (other than as a visitor) in the UK and the other is being granted entry clearance or leave to remain (other than as a visitor) at the same time as the applicant, unless:
(i) The [Tier 4 migrant] is the applicant’s sole surviving parent, or
(ii) The [Tier 4 migrant] parent has and has had sole responsibility for the applicant’s upbringing, or
(iii) there are serious or compelling family or other considerations which would make it desirable not to refuse the application and suitable arrangements have been made in the UK for the applicant’s care.

See https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... ly-members
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

Bambino-fred
Newly Registered

Post by Bambino-fred » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:39 pm

thanks for your help....but from what I read I dont think we will be allowed to bring a dependent....also Tier 4 students can only study English language courses at level B2 or above.....that would also exclude her....