ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Have 2 remain w/ the sponsoring employer AFTER green card?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lanwarrior

Have 2 remain w/ the sponsoring employer AFTER green card?

Post by lanwarrior » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:54 am

Hi all,

My employer filed my I-140 and I-485 in March 14, 2008 and today I received a I-797C notice that my I-485 has been approved. Furthermore, the notice state that I will receive my green card (Form I-551) in 30 days.

So after I received my green card in 30 days, that means I have been with the company for 4 months AFTER my I-485 has been filed. Can I change job immediately or do I have to stay with my sponsoring employer for 6 months plus? I heard that if one quit immediatel after receiving their green card, the USCIS may REJECT their CITIZENSHIP application in the future because I have no "intent" to work with the sponsoring employer.

FYI, I have been working for the sponsoring employer for 5.5 years. They only process my green card end of 2007.

FYI2, although I originally have no intent to abandon my sponsoring employer immediately, my company is going through a number of lay-offs and I am afraid I'll be one. I was just offered a position in another company with much higher pay. Thank god I got my GC, so I am thinking of leaving the sponsoring company soon.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:45 pm

When I looked into this a few years ago I was told that I would have to stay with the sponsoring employer for a minimum of 3 years, after that then you can usually look elsewhere, but since you were just renewed it could be a different situation.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.

lanwarrior

Post by lanwarrior » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:43 am

3 years?? Can you provide me with a link or something that says that? Just want to check...

I did some research and I couldn't find anything that either say "Yes, you must stay for xx months" ...OR... "No, you don't have to stay...".

The concession is that if you have worked with the sponsoring company for a number of years, you're fine. The Immigration Officer may make it difficult or he/she may not, it just depends to that ONE immigration officer who is interviewing you.

Spark
- thin ice -

Post by Spark » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:40 pm

That was from an immigration consultant who I had a meeting with in the UK, but he said that they were the standard terms of the visa, that was a few years ago though.
We make holes in the teeth
We make holes in the teeth.