ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refused - Work experience

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

indian_in_uk

Refused - Work experience

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:19 pm

I called HSMP team today and they said my application is refused. They dint consider following experience as graduate level. I am wondering if this is not Graduate level experience then what is it??

TO WHOMSOEVER IT MAY CONCERN

This is to certify that Mr. xxxxx has worked with our company from 15th January 2001 to July 2002. During this period the different positions and responsibilities held by him were as follows:

Systems Engineer Jan. 2002 to July 2002

Responsibilities:

• Interacting with clients, understanding their requirements and documenting the same
• Solving technical problems faced by programmers
• Optimization of the developed system
• Creating low-level designs using Rational Rose and UML
• Coding the functions as per design
• Conducting design reviews, implementing quality systems according to SEI-CMM level 5 guidelines.
• Designing the Database and Application Screens Prototypes
• Creating Unit test plans
• Conduct code reviews and quality control to achieve throughput on the various modules

Applications Developer July 2001 to Dec. 2001

Responsibilities:

• Creating system design using Rational Rose and UML.
• Tailoring the life cycle & management processes, preparing checklist, guideline & templates for activities
• Assisting Analyst programmer to understand and document client requirements.
• Implementing the design by coding the functions.
• Code Inspections and reviews
• Fixing the errors and bugs raised by test teams

Applications Programmer Jan. 2001 to June 2001

Responsibilities:

• Functional testing and bug fixing.
• Designing Logic/Algorithm design.
• Coding as per the design.
• Creating internal documentation.
• Fixing the errors and bugs raised by test teams

Any experts comments please?
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:40 pm

Please I need the help of my fellow mebers here ..
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

Saint

Post by Saint » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:58 pm

IMHO, they didn't consider it non-graduate level exp just because of this letter.

Is your degree relevant to this?
Is the salary high enough to differentiate you from the non-grads?
Are you doing something similar right now and/or have you been promoted?

I would ask a job advert for a similar position from the company and would try to add "graduate degree was required to fulfill the requirements" type of phrase to this letter.

kcr

Post by kcr » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:04 pm

indian_in_uk wrote:Please I need the help of my fellow mebers here ..
Sorry to hear about your refusal.Have you recieved the decision letter?
Please check if they have given any reason for refusing your work experience as graduate level work.
I am sure you can get lots of advice from the members here if you could provide more details such as, were the reference letters on the company letter headed paper?were they signed by an authorised signatory of the company? etc etc

regards

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:05 pm

Saint.

Thanks for your reply.
My degree is Masters in Computers Engg i.e. is in the related field.
I am earning £35000 in UK on work permit.
I am performing the promoted role now with these and plus added responsibilities.

My degree is approved by NARIC as equivalent to masters in UK.

Could you help me to rephrase the letter to prove this is a graduate level experience?

Saint

Post by Saint » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:09 pm

Just a quick question, did they count your current experience as graduate and your experience prior to that in the same company as non-grad??

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:10 pm

KCR,

yes, my employer reference letters were on the company letter headed paper and signed by my Systems Manager (a very senior post in my company). The company is one of the best in the world.
I am not able to figure it out about what went wrong.
I havnt received the refusal letter yet.

What is the procedure of paid and unpaid review apeals?

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:12 pm

Yeah, saint.
I guess thats why they did. The experience I am talking about was in India and then that company transfered me their UK business in 2002. so I guess they considered the UK experience as graduate level whereas indian one as non-graduate.

denden
Newly Registered

Post by denden » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:14 pm

Sorry to hear about that.

I applied on the same day as you and haven’t heard back yet.

However, one thing I did was ask my employers to explicitly state in their letters that a degree (or equivalent experience) was required for the positions I held.

I did this because of postings I saw on this and other discussion boards by people who were refused for the same reason.

I think I remember a case where someone re-applied with a modified letter and was accepted. I’m sure that if you search the board you will find an example.

I have a question for you: exactly what did you say when you called the HSMP team this morning?

Were they at all concerned by the fact that you were calling so soon after applying?

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:22 pm

I just called them and asked when will I hear about the decision and the guy said a decision is already made and he told me the decision. No they were not at all concerned that I am calling so soon after applying.

Saint

Post by Saint » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:22 pm

That is very interesting, I'm unfortunately not able to comment on that..

As for the experience letter, a sentence like

A bachelor’s (or master's) degree in computer engineering was required to fulfill the responsibilities of these positions.

might help. Also you can try to make it a little bit less tech and add some supervision tasks to it. But as I said before, I tend to believe that the problem is not in the letter itself. Maybe someone else can bring a new perspective..

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:23 pm

and yes he told me that I got 25 marks for three years graduate level experience and not 35.

kcr

Post by kcr » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:34 pm

indian_in_uk wrote:and yes he told me that I got 25 marks for three years graduate level experience and not 35.
Just curious,did you call them twice today?Because I happened to read one of your messages early today in which you wrote that you were told they are working on your case and that you would get a decision in a week.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:37 pm

Yeah, I called them twice today. one in the morning and then in the afternoon.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:51 pm

Its alright, things happen.
As of now, I am just waiting for the decision letter and documents to reach me.

Could anyone suggest me which one is better, paid appeal or unpaid appeal?

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:41 pm

indian_in_uk wrote:and yes he told me that I got 25 marks for three years graduate level experience and not 35.
you might to wait for the letter and actually read what it says. the reason i am saying this is because on your post on http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=3200
you were claiming 90 points, therefore if you only got 25 for experience instead of 35, it means your total should be around 80 points. What this means is that there is something else you didnt get points for possibly your earnings. and your letter should be able to tell you that,

another thing is that seeing you changed jobs, was there a period were you were not actually working be it a month or more, this might be crucial because you seem to have applied just over a month after your first job, so you could possibly be 1 month short of 4years graduate level experience.
that being said you have supplied the details of your first job but not of your current job or subsequent jobs (that the reference letters)

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:07 pm

I dint claim for earning points as I thought it wouldnt be necessary. I claimed only 65 marks. I wanted to make it easier for caseworker to analyse my application but I guess that was my mistake and I will apply for earnng points as well. stupid of me but I was pretty much confident about the age, qualification(NARIC) and experience letter formats.

Anyways, Now I will claim for 90 points.

P.S.
f2kNo there was no gap between my jobs, I started working in May'2000 as I taught in an enginering college as Computer Lecturer from May'2000 to Dec'2000. I submitted this letter with application as well but this was not in detail, rest all the experience letters were all in detail. My current employer wrote my salary in the reference letter as well.

denden
Newly Registered

Post by denden » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:03 am

Hi indian_in_uk,

Check out this post, it may help you:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=3069

denden
Newly Registered

Post by denden » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:58 am

What time did you call HSMP yesterday, and on what number?

Did you have to try several times to get through?