ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married under other nationality (dual citizenship)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

DRH
Newly Registered
Ireland

Married under other nationality (dual citizenship)

Post by DRH » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Just to confirm... If a dual national eg a person who has Irish and British passports decides to get married under the British passport eg in the US to an American (British nationality used rather than Irish as a move to the UK was in the pipeline), they are legally considered married in Ireland too, aren't they?

There is no procedure for registering overseas marriages in Ireland so wondering how they'd stand.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Married under other nationality (dual citizenship)

Post by max307 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:04 pm

DRH wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:58 pm
Just to confirm... If a dual national eg a person who has Irish and British passports decides to get married under the British passport eg in the US to an American (British nationality used rather than Irish as a move to the UK was in the pipeline), they are legally considered married in Ireland too, aren't they?

There is no procedure for registering overseas marriages in Ireland so wondering how they'd stand.
Yes, you marry a person not a nationality :)

If the marriage is legal in the country where it happened then it will be recognised in Ireland as well regardless of the passport used to enter this marriage.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

DRH
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by DRH » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Cheers :D

As a follow on Q, I presume so it doesn't matter if you are in the US on an Irish visa, but marry as a British person. In other words... even if the nationality on the residence visa is different from the nationality shown at marriage registration in the US, then you are married in the eyes of both countries Ireland and Britain, irrespective of the process.

Good to know.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:47 pm

DRH wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:09 pm
Cheers :D

As a follow on Q, I presume so it doesn't matter if you are in the US on an Irish visa, but marry as a British person. In other words... even if the nationality on the residence visa is different from the nationality shown at marriage registration in the US, then you are married in the eyes of both countries Ireland and Britain, irrespective of the process.

Good to know.
Yeah it doesn't matter, Irish authorities will only double check that the name in the US marriage certificate is the same as in your Irish or British passport.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.