ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit for adopted child

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

siddiqr

EEA family permit for adopted child

Post by siddiqr » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 pm

Dear All

I am a british citizen and my wife is a Norwegian national with uk permanent residence card. We applied for inter-country adoption with the intention to adopt a baby from an orphanage in Pakistan. After a lengthy home study, department of education issued us a certificate of eligibility in Nov 18. We are currently in Pakistan waiting to be matched with a child. Once we get the baby (likely to be newborn), can we apply for his/her eea family permit on the basis of my wife being Norwegian national with uk permanent residence? I understand from what i have read so far that legally adopted children are included in the definition of family members. If we can, this will solve a huge problem of waiting months away from home if applied for uk settlement visa which until now we thought was our only option.

Many thanks
Riz

secret.simon

Re: EEA family permit for adopted child

Post by secret.simon » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:49 pm

Probably easiest for the child to apply for a Norwegian passport and travel on that Norwegian passport.
Norwegian by birth? - Adopted Children wrote:If you were adopted after 1 September 2006
If you were adopted by a Norwegian citizen on 1 September 2006 or later, you automatically became a Norwegian citizen if you

- were under the age of 18 and
- the Norwegian authorities issued the adoption licence or
- the foreign adoption is approved/valid in Norway.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

siddiqr

Re: EEA family permit for adopted child

Post by siddiqr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:47 am

Hi secret.simon, thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately getting norsk passport is not that simple. Pakistan operates guardianship system which means there has to be a re-adoption process in Norway. I am hoping that given department of education have approved our adoption, we can use eea family permit to bring our baby home quicker.