ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help needed

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IHS
Newly Registered
France

Help needed

Post by IHS » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:11 pm

First of all I would like to praise this forum for helping alot of people with their immigration problems.
I am a non-EU citizen married to a French citizen. We recently married in Denmark. The French authorities do not want to accept our Danish marriage certificate and they say that it needs to be changed to a French marriage certificate at the French embassy in Denmark.
It has been more than 3 months now and we have not heard anything from the French embassy in Denmark.
The reason we married in Denmark was because there was a long waiting list in France and we did not want to waste time.
The thing that I don't understand is, why do I have to change a EU document into a French document? Shouldn't the Danish marriage certificate automatically be accepted in France or in any other EU country?
My brother married a German citizen in Romania 10 years ago and his Romanian marriage certificate was accepted from the German authorities straight away without questions asked.
Is it right what the French are demanding. I was refused a long term visa from the French embassy in my country because of this Danish marriage certificate.

Please help me with advice .

Thank you!

IHS
Newly Registered
France

Re: Help needed

Post by IHS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 am

No reply??
The Forum has turned very quite compared to recent years! Where is Obie?? Christian??
Can someone please help me??

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 am

IHS wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:11 pm
First of all I would like to praise this forum for helping alot of people with their immigration problems.
I am a non-EU citizen married to a French citizen. We recently married in Denmark. The French authorities do not want to accept our Danish marriage certificate and they say that it needs to be changed to a French marriage certificate at the French embassy in Denmark.
It has been more than 3 months now and we have not heard anything from the French embassy in Denmark.
The reason we married in Denmark was because there was a long waiting list in France and we did not want to waste time.
The thing that I don't understand is, why do I have to change a EU document into a French document? Shouldn't the Danish marriage certificate automatically be accepted in France or in any other EU country?
My brother married a German citizen in Romania 10 years ago and his Romanian marriage certificate was accepted from the German authorities straight away without questions asked.
Is it right what the French are demanding. I was refused a long term visa from the French embassy in my country because of this Danish marriage certificate.

Please help me with advice .

Thank you!
Did you get the international version of the Danish marriage certificate or is it purely in Danish?

I got married in Denmark and was asked whether we needed a certificate for international use or not. Our certificate is in Danish, German, French and English. We never had any problems getting it accepted anywhere and we moved around a whole lot.

Maybe you could contact the Danish authority where you were married and request an international version?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

IHS
Newly Registered
France

Post by IHS » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Thank you for your reply. Yes it is the International version in 4 languages.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:00 pm

IHS wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:24 pm
Thank you for your reply. Yes it is the International version in 4 languages.
Huh.

Well, they can't ask you to do things they wouldn't ask a French person to do. So maybe this is the process a French person who got married outside of France would also have to follow? What did the French Embassy staff say when you applied for the certificate?
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

IHS
Newly Registered
France

Post by IHS » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:07 am

Hi ,

The French embassy das that the Danish marriage certificate needs to be changed to a French one. I have to apply for this at the French embassy in Denmark. I have applied and still pending an answer for the last 3 months
The Danish marriage certificate is not acceptable for the French authorities.

Best regards

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:34 am

The french spouse should register the marriage in France first, then ask for a document.
IHS wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:07 am
Hi ,

The French embassy das that the Danish marriage certificate needs to be changed to a French one. I have to apply for this at the French embassy in Denmark. I have applied and still pending an answer for the last 3 months
The Danish marriage certificate is not acceptable for the French authorities.

Best regards

IHS
Newly Registered
France

Post by IHS » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm

He has tried. They say he can only register a French marriage certificate. The French embassy in my country says the same. This is why we contact the French embassy in Denmark.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:33 am

Ok I read a little about this and what you are saying seems to be the démarche.

Can you tell us why do you want or need the marriage to be registered in France?
IHS wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:04 pm
He has tried. They say he can only register a French marriage certificate. The French embassy in my country says the same. This is why we contact the French embassy in Denmark.

IHS
Newly Registered
France

Post by IHS » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:53 pm

I need it to get a marriage visa and join my husband in France.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Ok. Where are you based currently, and if it is not your country of origin, what kind of permit do you have?
IHS wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:53 pm
I need it to get a marriage visa and join my husband in France.

IHS
Newly Registered
France

Post by IHS » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:04 pm

I am based in Saudi Arabia and have been living here with a residence permit for the last 22 years.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:40 pm

You should be able to apply for a family reunion visa where you are based with the Danish marriage certificate, without the need for your spouse to register the marriage in France.

Your other option is to relocate to any other country in the EU for 3 months with your spouse and then go back to France.
IHS wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:04 pm
I am based in Saudi Arabia and have been living here with a residence permit for the last 22 years.

IHS
Newly Registered
France

Post by IHS » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:42 pm

What should I do now then? I said I have been refused the visa.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:47 pm

I thought it was before the marriage, sorry. I am not ignoring your messages!

Share with us the refusal letter details, like reasons, grounds etc.

Also take into account my other suggestion : Get a visa to visit / live in another EU country.
You just need to live there 3 months. It's your legal right and no one will or can ask to register the marriage outside Denmark, it's your right. France are only demanding it cuz your spouse if the national of the country and they are applying the national law, their right.
IHS wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:42 pm
What should I do now then? I said I have been refused the visa.